·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-tweaks-do-yourself/3152346-4d-theater-wind-effect-diy-home-theater-project.html

I've been applying it for about a week and have watched several movies. I rate it on par with bass shakers as a must have sensory enhancement to create more immersion. I've demonstrated it for 7 viewers watching them drop their lower jaws to the knees.

This looks insane. Should be more popular.

Can you please advise if any UK-based amazon uk fans would work with this or must it be those same ones?

Also bass shaker wises, any reccomendation on how to impliment them?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any IR controlled fan will work. IR - infrared. Not RF - radio frequency.
If you use a different fan other than the one shown, it may or may not use the same remote control signal code. In that case, I'm sure the author could supply them since he's welcoming other fans from users to appear and make the project even more diverse. When I was getting started, I noticed the exact fans for sale on US Ebay with international shipping and they were very reasonable. That was until I discovered one in my storage collecting dust that I reintroduced to my HTPC.

Bass shakers are a different special effect. They/it is not required for this fan special effect. I just happen to use both and used in tandem they provide a wonderful immersive experience.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Any IR controlled fan will work. IR - infrared. Not RF - radio frequency.
If you use a different fan other than the one shown, it may or may not use the same remote control signal code. In that case, I'm sure the author could supply them since he's welcoming other fans from users to appear and make the project even more diverse. When I was getting started, I noticed the exact fans for sale on US Ebay with international shipping and they were very reasonable. That was until I discovered one in my storage collecting dust that I reintroduced to my HTPC.

Bass shakers are a different special effect. They/it is not required for this fan special effect. I just happen to use both and used in tandem they provide a wonderful immersive experience.

Thanks. Any from AMAZON UK you can reccommend I get? I don't even know how to tell if something is IR or RF.

I'll check US ebay but I'm based in the UK. Prices looked quite difficult to swallow for the shipping and customs.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The link to Amazon for the fan listed in the project says they will be in stock on Aug 13, 2020. So a month. Maybe you can find them elsewhere quicker? Try using the model number in a google search. Craigslist, etc. Or, a different fan. I'm sure you could check with the manufacturer of a different fan if it's IR or not. I checked other fans I had laying around with a google search but they turned out to be RF. I wouldn't know any specifically to recommend as an alternative. That's why the thread has asked for user input.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here https://www.sevilleclassics.com/ultraslimline-40-in-oscillating-tower-fan-black.html

$50 new, free shipping. EHF10119PB is the model. I'd bet dimes to dollars it is the same thing the project suggests but check with them to be sure. I think the only difference is the remote style.

This is what the project recommends ehf10127b.

I use a COC611360 which has got to be about 10yrs older and looks and functions exactly the same fwiw. The remote control was MIA when I retrieved it from storage. Still, everything functions as intended without it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think you want fans that won't beep as well - a lot of IR fans I've used beep when you control them. If you're not comfortable modifying your fan, then it's something to consider.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,406 Posts
It sounds neat but doesn't sound like something I'd want. I mean I'm *watching* the movie I'm not *in* the movie. I don't think having wind blowing on me is enjoyable. I definitely think some level of immersion is bad. For example, if I'm watching a boxing movie, i don't want to be punched in the face for "added immersion".

Bass shakers, IMO, are also not about added immersion. It's about improving the quality of the sound and reproducing the frequencies you can't hear well.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't sound neat... it 'feels' neat. Most of us 'want' to be 'in' the movie. If you don't, that's ok but we do. While you think immersion is bad, many of us are enjoying it amap and this wind special effect adds realism at home simply and economically. That's no longer reserved just for Disneyland and Las Vegas... where evidently billions of folks pay dearly to experience the fun of special effects. Bass shakers have nothing to do with reproducing sound frequencies we can't hear well. We hear the frequencies just fine and shakers allow us to feel them too.. feel the frequencies beyond the air pressure the cone in the subwoofer moves.

If folks really didn't desire to be 'in' the movie and immersion is 'bad', AVR's with virtual channels would not be a must have. Neither would sound bars using Atmos which is also virtual. Might as well toss those big screens hanging on the walls out the window too, not to mention PJ's, because they look a bit too realistic compared to my grandparents B/W Zenith console back in the day that didn't produce that ugly thing called 'color'.

And while we're at it, might as well toss out actors who perform just a wee bit over the top because they seem to remind me of how things really are instead of keeping things contained. And those props on movie sets... what, with the space ships flying around and tornadoes and such. Weird? I step outside and see no signs of aliens or flash floods or anything? Almost had me believing it there for minute. Wouldn't want to do that.

All kidding aside, I think this wind special effect is going to catch on with a lot folks once they become aware of it. I appreciate those involved that handed it to us free of charge and ask nothing in return but to enjoy it.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,406 Posts
It doesn't sound neat... it 'feels' neat. Most of us 'want' to be 'in' the movie. If you don't, that's ok but we do. While you think immersion is bad, many of us are enjoying it amap and this wind special effect adds realism at home simply and economically. That's no longer reserved just for Disneyland and Las Vegas... where evidently billions of folks pay dearly to experience the fun of special effects. Bass shakers have nothing to do with reproducing sound frequencies we can't hear well. We hear the frequencies just fine and shakers allow us to feel them too.. feel the frequencies beyond the air pressure the cone in the subwoofer moves.

If folks really didn't desire to be 'in' the movie and immersion is 'bad', AVR's with virtual channels would not be a must have. Neither would sound bars using Atmos which is also virtual. Might as well toss those big screens hanging on the walls out the window too, not to mention PJ's, because they look a bit too realistic compared to my grandparents B/W Zenith console back in the day that didn't produce that ugly thing called 'color'.

And while we're at it, might as well toss out actors who perform just a wee bit over the top because they seem to remind me of how things really are instead of keeping things contained. And those props on movie sets... what, with the space ships flying around and tornadoes and such. Weird? I step outside and see no signs of aliens or flash floods or anything? Almost had me believing it there for minute. Wouldn't want to do that.

All kidding aside, I think this wind special effect is going to catch on with a lot folks once they become aware of it. I appreciate those involved that handed it to us free of charge and ask nothing in return but to enjoy it.
I never said "immersion is bad". I said some level of immersion is bad and gave you an example, which you completely ignored. I think immersive sound is great. I think having a bunch of wind blowing on me would not be. Nor would I want my room to heat up to 120 degrees if I'm watching a movie in the desert. Nor would I want my room to dump water all over me if I'm watching a movie in the rain. Get it? Some immersion is bad. I'd chalk up wind blowing as one of those things.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I get it. This thread has nothing to do with heating up rooms to 120 degrees, nor dumping water all over you, nor getting punched in the face. It's about custom tailoring wind, however intense or gentle a scene merits. If you don't like, don't use it. Are you here to rain on a parade, I mean dump water all over us? Or, entice a heated argument, 120 degrees to be exact? Or punch people in the face who enjoy a wind special effect?

I removed the "beeps". It took all of 3 minutes with a screwdriver following the simple directions. There was nothing uncomfortable about it? I suppose there probably are many who would be uncomfortable though. They call the handyman to change light bulbs for them too because... well because it's uncomfortable. I guess the simple fact you are removing an annoying little beeper from the fan would negate the warranty. I wonder if anybody's ever sent in one of these fans for a warranty and was denied because the beeper was disconnected?

Anyway, I see how some people will find fault with anything to discourage others because misery loves company. It's cool. Pardon the pun.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah I don't want heat or water or lights flashing or anything like that.

But I think the gentle air in the right scenes gives a nice effect at least after experiencing it for myself.

No not everyone will want it, but so far it seems like all the people my friend has demoed it to in his theater have liked it or at least they said they did heh.

·
Registered
378 Posts
People are always reluctant to change.

This IMO is an excellent idea and for any home theatre enthusiast is something worth delving into. For the very small cost of

Reactions: brazen1

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
*Repeat* For US buyers:

Brand new fans direct from Seville $49.99 with free shipping - in stock https://www.sevilleclassics.com/ultraslimline-40-in-oscillating-tower-fan-black.html

and

Brand new fans from Seville $49.99 with free shipping - in stock through eBay if you prefer https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRASLIMLINE-40-IN-OSCILLATING-TOWER-FAN-BLACK/164261384972?hash=item263ebdd30c:g:u2oAAOSwbqle8-v4#shpCntId

New titles are being added to the database daily and growing rapidly!
And Amazon for those who have Prime or just prefer Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGR9CNF/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts