AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 47" 1080p 60hz LCD HDTV and I've been trying to connect my Sega Saturn to it first with composite A/V cables and then with S-Video cables. The problem is that for both sets of cables I get the same blank blue screen showing its not getting any signal from the Saturn. I know the Saturn and the cables both work fine because I have hooked them up to a CRT tv and it worked perfect. I have checked to make sure the cables were plugged in properly to the Saturn and the HDTV and everything is plugged in fine. Furthermore I also made sure that the correct TV input was selected for each type of cable, and still no signal.

I have been trying to find an answer to this question, there is really no logical answer at all from what I have gathered. Maybe some of the experts here can help me

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
How the heck do you have a working SEGA Saturn?? Do you drive a Delorean, and accidentally hit the flux capacitor back to 1992?

Aside from that, you are trying to hook it up to a 40 inch 1080p LCD, it will look horrible, beyond horrible. Buy a used tube crt on Craigslist and hook it up via compostite red white yellow, thats the max a Saturn could do.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
it won't look great thats for sure

what model is your TV?

are you sure that the S-Video cable works with another TV?

have you tried another device that has S-Video or composite with your TV?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tv is made by some off brand called SABRE.

i have connected my xbox via A/V cables before and it worked fine, I have never connected anything through S-Video before though.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18192126

How the heck do you have a working SEGA Saturn?? Do you drive a Delorean, and accidentally hit the flux capacitor back to 1992?

Aside from that, you are trying to hook it up to a 40 inch 1080p LCD, it will look horrible, beyond horrible. Buy a used tube crt on Craigslist and hook it up via compostite red white yellow, thats the max a Saturn could do.

I have a Sega Genesis hooked up to my 52B750. Looks great. Note, these pics are from when I had it connected to my 46A750.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikexforce /forum/post/18191450

I have a 47" 1080p 60hz LCD HDTV and I've been trying to connect my Sega Saturn to it first with composite A/V cables and then with S-Video cables. The problem is that for both sets of cables I get the same blank blue screen showing its not getting any signal from the Saturn. I know the Saturn and the cables both work fine because I have hooked them up to a CRT tv and it worked perfect. I have checked to make sure the cables were plugged in properly to the Saturn and the HDTV and everything is plugged in fine. Furthermore I also made sure that the correct TV input was selected for each type of cable, and still no signal.

I have been trying to find an answer to this question, there is really no logical answer at all from what I have gathered. Maybe some of the experts here can help me

Maybe you are missing a setting somewhere in the TV. Have you tried another composite or S-video source, like a DVD player, to see if those inputs work properly?

·
Registered
70,574 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Olevia 747i LCd (also a 60Hz HDTV). I activated my TV's 'Game Mode' (to bypass the processing that might add delay to controller input), then turned on the Saturn and it worked fine. See?

More pics here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post10008014

Check out if your HDTV has some sort of 'Game Mode' or similar feature that bypasses the TV's processing, activate it, then turn on the Saturn. If this doesn't work then you can try hooking a VCR (VHS) player into your TV (either composite or S-Video), then feed the VCR (via it's composite inputs if the VCR doesn't have an S-Video input) your Saturn audio and video to see if the videogame signal can piggy-back on the VCR signal into the TV. Maybe your Saturn and your TV just weren't meant to be though, most modern TV's aren't designed with backwards compatibility to CRT-era videogame systems in mind. The same advice applies to other 'older' consoles (SNES, Genesis, 3DO, N64, etc.) each with their own degree of compatibility and/or effectiveness. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
70,574 Posts
Mmphh, what's your HDTV's name and model (not just the brand)? I googled 'Sabre 47" LCD' and only got a couple of amazon sellers with a 37" model. Looks like a cheap-ass TV though, the type that would skim on costs by leaving off expensive parts (like quality de-interlacers of SD signals) in the chopping block.

Guess the VCR trick is the only one left. Have you tried turning the TV on first and then firing the Saturn afterwards? Sometimes when the Saturn is on already the TV will not recognize the signal. Hey, at this point anything's worth a shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts