AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in need of an inexpensive TV for my basement workout room. My main viewing is on an LG 55LM7600 and my bedroom TV is a Toshiba 42XV545U. Both good tv sets. So, I lowered my standard as I was able to pick up this 46" ultra slim led Seiki for $348.00 from Walmart with free shipping. So, the big question when it arrives is will it be worth what I paid for it. I hope so. I don't need it to be stunning when watching movies on blu ray. What I need it to do is turn on, and be able to decode the in the clear QAM channels on my cable.

What I have a question on, is when looking at the contrast ratio, the numbers are WAY off. I mean like 4000:1 where as the higher end sets are in the millions to 1. What's up with that? I mean aren't these panels coming from many of the same factories? Anyway, it should be hear by the end of the week. I'll report back. And from what I can tell, the company is a USA company. So at least that's one thing going for it. Their web site states that all customer contacts are here in the USA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, this TV is here already. Very quick and free shipping via Walmart. I should say that I hate Walmart, But I couldn't pass up this sized tv for this price.(this TV only appears to be available via the web site from what I can tell. There were none available in a 50 mile radius from my location in Eastern PA) So, I un-boxed it, and being the first time I've actually seen this tv, it is a nice looking tv. Glossy screen. Quick assembly of the stand and I had it plugged in and scanning for the free in the clear QAM channels on my cable. This did take a long time as compared to my three other tv's. But it did find everything I expected it to find.

Now, the picture quality. Well, lets just say I will wait to comment until I get a chance to play with the settings. But one thing I didn't see (just a quick look as I didn't have time to really review the user guide) was that this thing doesn't display the incoming signal resolution when you change channels. My other tv's all show 480p/720p/1080i/1080p in a small info box when you change the channel. This does not. So you really don't know what the resolution is that you're viewing. The remote is a basic as they come. But again, expected in this price range. So out of the box, it's met my very basic expectations. I will have to hook up my Blu Ray to it to see what it does with a true 1080p signal via HDMI. But again, to get a 46" LED thin panel tv for $348 with free shipping, is hard to pass up. I wish I could have gotten that Sears Black Friday deal on the 50" Toshiba for $299.99. That was I think the best deal of any TV deals on Black Friday.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I had time last night to "play" with this set. First, it's tuner found all of the expected QAM channels. That's the good. But as expected, the picture quality isn't what an enthusiast would be happy with. It does look better from the distance I'll be viewing it from
. The picture just lacks any clarity/sharpness. There is a sharpness adjustment, but setting it higher just makes the edges look worse. And the aspect ratio settings are lame. It has standard/wide/zoom/zoom wide. If you set it to standard, everything, both SD and HD content is displayed in the 4:3 ratio. Wide will display everything in the 16:9 ratio. I like my other sets where "standard" means it displays the content in the ratio it's sent in.

The sound isn't all that bad. Yes, it could be better, but acceptable. Color accuracy not so good. Adjusting just didn't improve the picture much.

Just to make sure the issues were not the tv's tuner, I hooked up my HD cable box that I use on my 55LM7600. Picture still looked the same. So it's the video processor/panel.

So, I will be viewing this 46" tv from an average distance of about 15'. And at that distance, things start to look much better

So I did get what I paid for. And in this case, size did matter more than quality. I now just hope it lasts. That will be the next meter of value.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts