AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
No idea why putting my tv on Movie Mode and playing clips screws the color. On dynamic it's stunning.
I think one file is setup for dynamic mode so if you change the settings to movie mode probably is going to look bad because it was made for the store ,torch mode to attract the costumers the one in movie mode should be the accurate representation of HDR on your display.

unless the file have some errors and the tv can't properly read the HDR data , I don't know how the file was extracted from the best buy hard drive looks like some people here or work at best buy or have very close friends that work on best buy.

If they can extract that clip from the hard drive why not extract the samsung suhd demo? maybe they don't want to get in trouble with Samsung they will know who extracted the file ,the proof is already here.

Reactions: player002

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I think one file is setup for dynamic mode so if you change the settings to movie mode probably is going to look bad because it was made for the store ,torch mode to attract the costumers the one in movie mode should be the accurate representation of HDR on your display.

unless the file have some errors and the tv can't properly read the HDR data , I don't know how the file was extracted from the best buy hard drive looks like some people here or work at best buy or have very close friends that work on best buy.

If they can extract that clip from the hard drive why not extract the samsung suhd demo? maybe they don't want to get in trouble with Samsung they will know who extracted the file ,the proof is already here.

I have all the suhd demos. They look spectacular on my tv :)

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
No idea why putting my tv on Movie Mode and playing clips screws the color. On dynamic it's stunning.

Suhd demo

Attachments

·
Banned
6,246 Posts

I have the SUHD demos and already posted on the 3500u thread few days ago..

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Ray this is not PSEUDO HDR but the real thing . PSEUDO would imply that its simulating it which smartled high and native colour space does with non hdr material, when the metadata is being read and then the video being displayed this is real HDR :D
Yes 4k bluray will look much better !!!!
No, its not real HDR. Real HDR requires an expanded color gamut. Any LCD without QD's or phosphor coated LED's will not have a big enough gamut to show the "real thing". Of course, the 10-bit encoding will give you more steps of gradation and a much wider variety of available colors within the limited color gamut. Not to mention most versions of HDR require around 1000 nits of brightness, which none of the models compatible with the SEK-3500 can even come close to achieving. None the less, there will without a doubt be a difference if it truly is able to read the meta data.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Went by best buy to see the jurasic world clip....love asking about HDR and just getting a person staring at you:grinning: finally found someone to put the TV in store mode....looked horrible. Just watched ep 1 of sense8 which looked amazing, so comparing it to jurasic world with HDR was not good. Don't know how you move these awesome tvs with this presentation. They didn't have the clips of life of pi either. Still hoping it's as awesome as you all say here on avs, but first impression is bad. That one connect upgrade might push Samsung over Sony for my next set early next year though.

·
Banned
341 Posts
amazing pictures
do you also have these clips with SDR to compare?
what is the biggest change in the HDR versions if you describe?
are the bright parts crazy bright now? (flashlight warning) :)

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
amazing pictures
do you also have these clips with SDR to compare?
what is the biggest change in the HDR versions if you describe?
are the bright parts crazy bright now? (flashlight warning) :)

I am going to take pix later of 4k vs hdr. We'll see if my garbage phone can pick up the differences. My galaxy s6 no doubt would provide better pix but it's out of commission for a few weeks.

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Went by best buy to see the jurasic world clip....love asking about HDR and just getting a person staring at you:grinning: finally found someone to put the TV in store mode....looked horrible. Just watched ep 1 of sense8 which looked amazing, so comparing it to jurasic world with HDR was not good. Don't know how you move these awesome tvs with this presentation. They didn't have the clips of life of pi either. Still hoping it's as awesome as you all say here on avs, but first impression is bad. That one connect upgrade might push Samsung over Sony for my next set early next year though.

Jurassic World clip looks horrible. Very compressed. Life of pi clip certainly blows it away.

·
Registered
17,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Would this work on the 85" HU8550, which has partial FALD?

Only if u have the sek3500 upgrade box.

Otherwise the tv can't read the hdr metadata and the picture will be washed out and look pretty bad.

·
Banned
341 Posts
Otherwise the tv can't read the hdr metadata and the picture will be washed out and look pretty bad.
yes i just tried it on my KRP and if you use a picture mode with a flat gamma curve these HDR clips will look washed out.
i then switched to the Dynamic mode that has an non linear gamma curve and suddenly it looked much better.

i guess these HDR clips will look OK (read fake HDR) on any tv that has a Dynamic torch mode.
but even there you will lose gradings in the bright areas with loss of details.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
yes i just tried it on my KRP and if you use a picture mode with a flat gamma curve these HDR clips will look washed out.
i then switched to the Dynamic mode that has an non linear gamma curve and suddenly it looked much better.

i guess these HDR clips will look OK (read fake HDR) on any tv that has a Dynamic torch mode.
but even there you will lose gradings in the bright areas with loss of details.
incorrect if you put the hdr in dynamic mode without OCB it is still washed out as it can't read the metadata .. might look 5% better but it is still very washed out.

Reactions: Musician

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
incorrect if you put the hdr in dynamic mode without OCB it is still washed out as it can't read the metadata .. might look 5% better but it is still very washed out.
I was able to restore the loss of color saturation ,brightness and contrast of the video file on my PC using a player that support the codec.

looks as the pictures posted here.:confused:

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
101 - 120 of 194 Posts