AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New HT buyer. What are the practical advantages of the seleco 200DM over the 200? I thought I had finally decided on Seleco and just had to decide which one. (300 is just too expensive for first PJ.) Then I saw the Yamaha DPX-1. Great clarity on a bigger screen (10' vs. 8') than I had seen the 200 playing on. THe opening sceens of The Score were playing on the Yamaha. Dark sceen with a lot of "rainbow". ( Is rainbow what you call the little color flashes that appeared for a fraction of a second at various places all over the screen?) Then I saw dark sceens from Moulin Rouge and Jurassic Park and no color flashes. Is the Seleco capable of projecting as large as the Yamaha? My room is 25' x 17' and capable of total darkness. Primary use will be DVDs. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Seleco's should provide a better picture than the Yamaha. I have seen the Yamaha several times and have not been too impressed. The differences between the 200 and the 200DM is mainly that the 200DM offers a 16x9 mode whereas the 200 is just 800x600. The 200 is a bit brighter than the 200DM.

You won't be sorry with the Seleco. You have plenty of seating space to sit far enough back to enjoy a large screen. The 200 was my first projector and a great one at that.

note: I do have my HT-200 for sale in the classified section and the only reason I am selling it is because I am moving. It is an outstanding projector.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The difference with the 200DM is also that it has a faster colour wheel so less 'rainbows' (the colour fringes you were seeing with the Yamaha). It could manage a 10' wide picture, but being a long throw lens it would need at least 23' to throw this size picture.

Try www.sim2.it they are usually quite happy to email .pdfs of their manuals, and should be able to give you more information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

(incidentally my 200DM on ebay as saving up for a 300!)

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Go for the Seleco without a doubt.

You cant go wrong with ether unit but as mentioned the DM has the newer color wheel.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I have seen all three and the Seleco's are definitely better (both of them) than the Yamaha in my opinion.

I only saw two at the same time (the Seleco 200 and the Yamaha). Saw the 200DM a different time, and have less precise opinions about whether the 200 or 200DM is the better.

Source for my viewing were the ubiquitous Fifth Element and the Super Speedway DVD's, both of which I am very familiar with. These are not the most challenging DVD's but everyone uses them for demos.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have had the DPX-1 for about six months now.

It's been great for us on a Vu-tec 103" 16x9 screen, a 4x3 pj fits our needs, and you give nothing up as to resolution with 16x9 dvd's anyways.

It seems many people make comments on products they have never tested

within their own homes.:confused:

I find it hard to believe that the HT200 is a better pj then the HT250?

The DPX-1 won over the Sim2 Seleco HT250 in a head to head

challenge in the October 2001 home theater mag.

The Grand Cinema HT250 even needed to use a $4k+ external faroudja scaler to match the internal scaler - inversetelecine deinterlacing of the DPX-1.

The HT250 did have closer out of the box color.

This made the HT250/faroudja combo +$6k retail above the DPX-1 price at the time of the test, Yet the final score was the DPX-1 ahead in over-all points,

DPX-1 Won the EISA European Video Projector Of the Year 2001-2002 award.
http://prestige.pveditions.com/numer.../yam_dpx1.html

A German mag reports the contrast to be at 1050:1

not the 900:1 that Yamaha reports.

Gregg Rogers reviewed the DXP-1 also:

Here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/PDFs/DPX1_Review.pdf

DPX-1 has a DVI port, nice if you wish to stay 100% digital from a HTPC.

The DPX is a fine 4x3 pj.

The DPX-1 internal de-interlacer/scaler is in the performance level of the Faroudja.

I am not going to say that the DPX-1 is any better then the other.

I will say that it has and does a few things that make it very nice.

The DPX-1 also has the larger .9 DMD has DVI, is one of the most silent pj on the market.

The excellent internal processor is just a added plus.

The dpx is a great buy at $4k in Japan.

Current USD retail is $8k

I would not pay USD retail for it.

I should also add that we have been blessed not to see rainbows.

If you or anyone that may be viewing are sensitive to them, a 1X wheel speed may not be your best choice from what I have gathered over the past year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.