AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what screen sizes and types those of you who own the Seleco 200DM have???

I am interested in a 8 foot wide GrayHawk microperf, but I am concerned that it will be too dim. (My room is 100% light controlled BTW).

Thx in advance for all info here,

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i would say an 8ft. non microperf would be perfect...anyone got the lumens/ft. lamberts calcs out? i would not go bigger...and even think a 7ft. would be a little brighter.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Cain, one more thing.

I did take it over to a forum member's place to view on a 8ft wide Gray Hawk. Defintiely enough light for a light-controlled enviroment. His 250 wasn't much brighter in fact.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What is the lumen rating claimed?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cain,

I think the 8-foot wide might be stretching it. Sorry for the pun.

The difference between the 6-foot 1.3 gain and 7 1/4-foot Grayhawk was astounding, and the wider gray screen only put out about 7 foot-Lamberts. This might sound low, and everyone will be tempted to compare with published figures that tell everyone to desire 12 ft-L for proper theater emulation...but believe me when I say the image had punch and delivery.

Any comparison of these figures with other's published ones--whether from another magazine or manufacturer's specs--truly cannot be done. I've learned that one can only scientifically compare numbers derived from the same measurement device, using the same procedure, on the same screen. Only one variable can be changed, or the entire process is *******ized.

I have a complete set of data on an Excel spreadsheet that I measured with the Photo Research analyzer available for your evaluation. I will send it to you, if you promise to tell everyone your impressions of the bulk of the figures!! (I do not mean to analyse them yourselves, but rather to let the world know what we try to do to pick these devices apart.)

Sincerely,

John

I've got to get to work today...

·
Registered
549 Posts
All,

Wow, this vulgarity filter is quick and blunt.

I meant to say that the process would appear like a child born out of wedlock, and cursed to a lifetime of scorn.

That would be b-a-s-?-#-$-dized.

Got it? Good.

John

and I thought my editors harsh...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx for the info guys.

I plan to get a microperf screen, and that is more important to me than the Grayhawk is.

I'm wondering about the 1.3 microperf screen.

I need to do the calcs and see how this screen would look, but I also understand that calcs are not as good as actual measurments.

The 200DM is rated at 600 Lumens, right??

-- Cain

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain:
#The 200DM is rated at 600 Lumens, right??

-- Cain

The HT200DM is 800 lumens, Contrast is 600:1.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx Jeffy, I got Contrast and Brightness mixed up.

Do you have one of these projectors?? If yes, what size and type screen do you use??

-- Cain

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain:
Thx Jeffy, I got Contrast and Brightness mixed up.

Do you have one of these projectors?? If yes, what size and type screen do you use??

-- Cain

No, still looking. At the moment its looking like the xv-z9000, HT200DM or the Piano. My brain is telling me to buy the Piano for now and have another look in a years time. My heart is telling me to jump on the next plane to Japan and buy the Sharp. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jeff

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Hi Cain,

I have a 200DM on order and expect to get it soon (Hopefully). I am also debating on the screen size and type. I got two samples from Stewart, a 1.3gain and a Greyhawk sample (both non-perf).

My plan is to set up the proj to cast an image on the wall and put up the samples. I am also debating between a screen size of 100-110 inch.

I am not going with a perf screen because I want the max image possible. I realize that the perf screen is important to you which would probably reduce light enough to make either the Greyhawk or the 8ft wide screen unadviseable.

I will let you know what I determine from my test, unless you get the projector before I do, then you can let me know what you figure out http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Here are the lumen ratings according to Seleco:

HT200: 800

HT250: 900

HT200DM: 650

Also, at Cedia I attended the Seleco party (special invite) and they were showing a HT200DM on an actual movie theater screen (about 20' wide) and I've got to say I was impressed. It really rivaled that of an actual movie projector.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Jason, what was the gain of that 20' screen??

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Jason,

All the Seleco sites International, US and Italian state that the HT200DM is 800 lumens. Where does the 650 figure come from?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Isn't 650 the output in 16:9 mode?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use a 6' 16:9 greyhawk with my HT200 and the picture is amazing. I would have loved to go larger but my room is only 15' deep.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you back calculate from the 7 ft-Lamberts on a 7' Greyhawk screen that John measured and published in SGHT you get around 300 *real* lumens (4:3).

Jason,

They were really showing a 200DM on a 20' screen!? How many did they stack? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif As for gain, if it was an actual screen in a theatre it was probably 1.5 gain less light loss from perforations.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone around here using a HT200DM with a Stewart MicroPerf GrayHawk Screen???

It appears that the HT300 will also have similar Lumen specs as the 200DM, at least based on the preliminary Specs.

I know you 200DM folks love your projector, so let me know what screen size and type you are using with your 200DM.

Thanks!!

-- Cain

[This message has been edited by Cain (edited 10-10-2001).]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.