AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this forum and to Tom Hahn in particular a local forum member I received a generous invite to Tom's beautiful home to ogle his Seleco 300 on a 4 way masking Stewart Firehawk. We only had interlaced DVD to look at but it was a delight. I have been struggling with the decision of which projector to buy for almost a year now. I have seen the Sharp several times on Greyhawk and Firehawk screens, the Marantz twice on Greyhawk only, JVC D-ila 150cl on a cheap white screen with no calibration and last night the seleco 300 on a beautiful 86" wide (if my memory is right) firehawk.

Now unlike some members I do not look for pixel perfection, perfect blacks, absolutely no artifact ever, the most options, the least options, the lowest cost, the highest cost (you get the idea) I just look for a pleasing engaging non fatigue or headache inducing video experience. I mean this is supposed to be fun. To date I have left from viewing HD-1 DLP presented content either with a headache or some fatigue. Never aware of a rainbow but always distressed by the "hotness" or overly shiny look of faces or reflections off of cars, windows, water, foreheads and the like. I did not have this problem with the JVC though I do have a problem with the price point and the noise/heat/lamp cost of this unit. So I was hoping that the Seleco would be better. It was. Now Tom's screen was a little smaller than I am thinking of putting in but it was vibrant bright and very pleasing. The "shiny" problem was the least I have ever seen on any DLP before. Now I am red/green color blind (10% of American males are) Still I thought the colors were great. Was the red a little magenta? Who knows. I had just been to the movie theater that day. This was a better image by far. As I start to look at theaters more I realize that I am way more picky at home. I realized I should just relax and enjoy the experience. This is not an art history class this is entertainment.

Was it noisy? Yes. Noisier than the Sharp or the Marantz and I think more than the JVC.

Does Light spill out the bottom? Yes. I would need to either mask it or hushbox/mask.

Is it dim? No. Not on a Firehawk. In fact It was a little "hot" at times. We watched Fifth Element, MIB, Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love. Was great. I could have moved in. Again Thanks to Tom and his lovely family.

So for me the Seleco is a serious contender. I am going to go sit in front of the Marantz one more time and watch a movie or two to see how I "feel" after and maybe track down the JVC rep to see if I can see the JVC on a better screen some where but so far looks like the 300 may be for me. I better call Alan.....

·
Registered
704 Posts
paulgas -

I'm glad you enjoyed the 300, sounds like Tom had a nice setup.

For me I have the 300 sitting in a shelf in the back wall so the light spill from the bottom I don't even see, so no problem there. If someone had the projector hanging from the ceiling right overhead, it could be bothersome. I think Paul Hayward posted his solution to this in another thread. Might want to take a look at that.

I only notice the noise when it first cycles up and then it's forgotten after the movie starts. But some people are more sensitive to the sound and it might bother them.

Probably having the projector back behind all the seats helps eliminate these 2 issues for me.

Otherwise the picture was great, wasn't it......

Good luck on your selection, I know it's tough with the choices that are out there. I just think you can't go wrong with any choice you make these days. Sure there might be minor issues with a particular projector, but the picture quality you get nowadays, just blows me away!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Paulgas,

It sounds like Tom Hahn has a fantastic setup. As Keith as stated, I have found a very low cost way of masking off the light and muting the noise although I've never really found the noise intrusive when watching film. I wonder if it has something to dfo with the frequency of the colour wheel that makes it less bothersome when the surround sound is dominent. Also, as Keith points out, it depends where you place the projector. Mine is directly above my head. It may also be psychological. After the gutsy Sony W400 anything would sound hushed! The great thing about the HD1's is that they all perform to a high standard of excellence. So, whichever model you chose. you cant lose. Good luck,

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I saw it recently, too.

I also was pleased with the picture. The only complaint I could make is that the internal scaler for DVD pixelated more often than I'd like.

All and all a nice unit.

Jeff

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I am not sure, I noticed not on HD but on the Fifth Element Superbit!

Nice color saturation, however.

Jeff

·
Registered
704 Posts
FYI -

I have not seen the issue that Jeff is referring to. I have watched Fifth Element Suoerbit a couple of times with no problems. In fact I haven't seen this on any movie. BTW, I do use the component interlaced input for DVDs. Don't know if that would make a difference, but I don't think so.

I know the Seleco uses the Pixelworks scaler, I'm not sure about the Marantz.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Paulgas,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the HT300 on this forum. Not only do I own this pj but I have a well worn copy of the 5th Element Superbit which is a staple demo of my system. I have NEVER seen the internal scaler 'pixelate' on this disc. Perhaps thebland would be kind enough to be more specific? My DVD player is a mid range 'modest' Pioneer 717 multiregion connected via RGBS feeding an interlaced signal. So nothing special and yet the picture quality is quite superb.

Regards,

Paul H

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey, Paul --

Glad you got something out of that experience, it was a pleasure to have you over and geek out about HT.

As to the "pixelation" Jeff mentions, all I can figure is that perhaps the "sharpness" and/or "filter" settings were too high -- they both ship set at "4" which results in noticeable jaggies on nearly vertical edges.

Tom

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Tom,

I must say, your setup sounds first class. I had the great good fortune to see the HT300 projected onto a Firehawk yesterday. Wow! What a classy picture it produces. Whats even more intriguing is that I couldnt quite see how it was doing it. If you perform the 'shadow' test on the screen when it projects 'black' there is still a good deal of light being reflected off it, and yet blacks looked blacker, shadow detail was most definitely enhanced and whole image seemed even more three dimensional than I am used to. I JUST HAVE TO HAVE THIS SCREEN!

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
FWIW No pixelization on TFE-SB on my marantz/firehawk combo either (at least not that I've noticed). Paulgas if you can't get a good marantz demo on the left coast, lemme know the next time you're in NYC.

TM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.