AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any word on when Seleco might post this upgrade on the website?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I am not really sure. I wasn't able to get the 2.12 upgrade through their website due to a computer problem I had. Seleco was kind enough to give me the new 2.13 upgrade instead of the 2.12 upgrade. So far so good, it looks pretty good to me actually, but I am easy to please, lol.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Per a post under HT300 Software Upgrade thread on this forum the following was written:

"I just checked the Info window. Despite the download zip file being labeled as 2.12, the Info window reports it as 2.13.01." So if this is correct what is available as 2.12 is actually 2.13.

Jeff"

I have an email into Robin at Sim2USA asking about this. Anything I find out, I'll let you know.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
An email from Sim2 informs me this is the debugged 2.12 software. I'm not sure why they didn't relabel it as 2.13 on their website.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sim2 has just changed the software download on their site from 2.12 to 2.13. This is the debugged version of 2.12 software.

Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I downloaded the 2.13 upgrade. I noticed there was a lot of yellow tint to the picture that I really couldn't get all the way out. Also, the picture had a white faded look to it. I couldn't take care of that problem by the adjusting the brightness or the contrast. So, I went back to the 2.10 upgrade for now. I didn't have any problems with the 2.10 upgrade, I thought the picture looked great with the 2.10. I will have to give the 2.13 upgrade a thumbs down for now. I just basically watch Direct Tv though via hooked up through componet to componet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had the 2.13 software loaded for almost 2 days now and I really like what I see. Under 2.10 I had gone to User mode colors, +2 red, +1 blue and -2 green and this works very well for me under 2.13 as well.

To my eye the contrast and brightness are both improved. Contrast under 2.10 would sometimes give a green tint which is now pure white under 2.13.

Like jrbass, I watch DirecTV primarily and have noticed a nearly complete absence of motion artifacts with the new software.

I have the original HT300, not the plus.

Color me untinted and impressed.

Oh yeah, the newly relabeled download file contains the same upgrade as the mislabeled file from the day before but also contains an actual PDF file with a brief description of the changes!

From the PDF:

----

We are please to inform you that the new software version for HT200DMF, HT300HD and HT300Plus has been recently issued.

The following improvements, in respect to version, have been introduced:

· Picture quality improvement thanks to a better management of Faroja FLI2220 chip.

· On ?PICTURE? menu a new option ?VCR2? has been introduced; this can be used in case VCR1 option does not have the desired effect (refer to Use and installation manual).

· With 2.10 software, while using 15Khz signals, the position parameter was not correctly stored: once the unit was powered off by the main switch, the position parameters were lost. This is now solved.

----

--Jeff

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow I just installed this 2.13 update yesterday. Did you guys notice the awesome detail present in the picture now??!

I always have sharpness and filter set to the minimum setting, And now the detail present in the picture is just mindboggling. It feels like they increased the resolution in the picture.

Also the artifacts in the picture have been reduced, but the increased detail in the picture is the most striking feature of this software update.

I have the Sim HT300 Plus with RI2 station. I have replaced all RCA contacts with "Bullet plugs" from Eichmann since they make the best RCA that I know of.

/Sincerely

Fredrik

·
Registered
908 Posts
Fredrik, what version of the software were you running before upgrading?

Tom

·
Registered
106 Posts
Arnaud, you have a PM with the info.

Fredrik, I agree. After nearly a week with 2.13 I am more than impressed. While the upgrade to 2.10 was certainly significant, 2.13 is still quite impressive.

I see the improvements Fredrik mentions but I have yet to see any motion artifacts in the satellite source that were there before. It's like they are gone.

--Jeff

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have been running 2.12 upgrade and upgraded to 2.13 last night. One thing I immediately noticed was that all my settings carried over, including Orientation and Position. Previously I had to reset these. Since the 2.13 is the debugged version of 2.12, I haven't noticed in PQ changes.

I would like to praise and thank Sim2 for their diligence on improving software/firmware and making it easy for end users to upgrade. That is special!

Tom

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi again guys,

I just wanted to share my findings with the new upgrade 2.13.

I run a reference quality 1.0 gain matte screen. ( I have never seen a FireHawk in action, so I don't know if the color tracking stays the same on that screen)

Widescreen review have an excellent review of this projector. There was alot of interesting setup/calibration hints in it. I'll be referring to these hints further down..

Many people use the VIDEO Gamma setting. My findings is that the 2.13 VIDEO gamma mode has it's color tracking off. Some faces on broadcasts have a pale hint of green. Now you guys may be experts on compensating that with the user color temperature (R,G,B) sliders. But I couldn't get it really to look right on all material. After I was happy with one source material, I switched source material and it didn't look right in my eyes..

Ok, let's recap on the Widescreen article:

Color temperature

"As recieved, the color temperature (at 80 IRE) on Low was 7394K;Medium was about 8000K; and High was about 11000K. These values drifted slightly as the lamp aged during it's first 100 hours"

- Ok my interpretation of this is that Sim2 deliberately set these values higher to give the most accurate picture during it's 6000hours lamp life. estimating the color temperature to be accurate at 75% lamp output is the smartest thing for the manufacturer to do. Remember that at maximum hours all lamps have 50% of their lamp output.

Typically Low, Med, High settings are usually 5500K, 6500K and 9700K on most equipment. And this is exactly what the Sim2 gets at 75% light output. And so using Low setting makes sense for us when the lamp is new.

"Using the factory low color temperature gray scale tracking was good down to 30 IRE but became significantly poorer at 10 and 20 IRE"

- When Widescreen Review calibrated the projector in the service menu, they got it flat down to 20 IRE at 6500K. I really wish I could pull that off =)

Gamma

"Film Gamma provided a gamma value of about 2.1 to 2.3, a little less than the 2.4 to 2.5 typical of most CRT displays. It was very uniform at all IRE levels. Video gamma was similar at low IRE levels but decreased to 1.6 at 90IRE. Overall light output at the same picture settings was about 20% higher when using Video Gamma. This resulted in the image getting increasingly blue above 90 IRE , as the projector was running out of red."

- Unfortunately they didn't touch on the Graphics gamma setting. I find that the color tracking is better on the Graphics gamma than on the Video gamma under v2.13. It seems actually more similar to the Film Gamma setting but with higher contrast and light output. Unfortunately I have not had the oppurtunity to compare them in depth yet. But will do so soon.

Conclusion:

WIth uncalibrated factory settings a new HT 300 Plus and v 2.13 software it seems as using Low color temperature and Film Gamma produces the best color tracking on a matte 1.0 gain screen. Graphics gamma looks like an interesting possibility so far with the higher lumens output, but I will need some further testing to see what it really does to the picture.. Video Gamma is not an option with factory settings unless you are a wizard with the R,G,B color temperature sliders or can use the service menu with proper measuring equipment.

I hope you guys got some food for thought from this article.

/Sincerely

Fredrik

PS: I don't know of any ISF calibrators in Sweden so that is why I am struggling with the factory settings ;-)

Can anyone PM the service menu access pattern please?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.