AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the differences between the 2 significant enough to warrant the $3K price difference in MSRP?

Also, any comments on the strengths/weaknesses of each model would be greatly appreciated.

dehe

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the DM has the RGBRGB color-wheel.

That should be the main difference.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
There are 2 main differences between the HT200 and the HT200DM. First is the color wheel. The DM uses the new RGBRGB color wheel with the enlarged red filter. This yields better colors and black levels, but also decreases effective light output (650 vs. 800 lumens). The other difference is the actual DMD chip. The HT200DM uses TI's Dual Mode SVGA chip. What this means is that the chip acts as both a 800x600 4:3 chip, and a 848x480 16:9 chip designed especially for DVD playback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've seen both and if choosing between the two I'd definitely spend the extra on the 200DM. (Although I wouldn't actual buy either one - pixellation is too noticeable for me)

200DM has better blacks, deeper colours and no rainbow, unlike the 200. Plus it handles NTSC 16:9 better. The DM has less light output but is plenty bright enough when used in a dark room.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have owned the HT-200 for a few months now and I have to say it is a great projector. I have read nothing but rave reviews on the 200DM but I have to say I really can't imagine that it could $3K better. DVD's look great on the 200 and the colors are breathtaking. Do yourself a fivor and look at the 200 before laying out the extra cash. If you have the extra money to spend buy a nice scaler.

-john

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hey DEHE,

The difference is substantial enough to justify the price difference.

It is like comparing an Audi A4 against the Audi S4. They both look similar in appearance, but that's where it ends; there is no contest.

I originally purchased the HT250, which is the top of the line, and shortly ended up replacing it with a 200DM. Sometimes less is better, a real paradox, huh?

Pixelation is not a problem when sitting 2X the screen width, which should be the case anyway.

Ask any 200DM owner on this forum and you will here nothing but praise about the unit.

I can't understand why non-owners insist on giving advice on a product after doing some browsing in a showroom, which usually has the equipment improperly displayed anyway. I suggest you view either machine before making a purchase.

E-mail me and I'll send you some screen shots from the 200DM.
[email protected] :)

Ciao,

Peter M

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with the above opinions w/r/t the 200DM.

Absolutely worth the extra 3k if you have it.

I do have a little pixilization, but that's because my room

doesn't allow me to sit the requisite distance from the

screen.

Even when I notice the pixilization, I 'forget' its there due to its

wonderful colors.

You'll love this one!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I originally had a demo of the HT200 and was very impressed.

However, the rainbow issue (although I didn't see it on the HT200, I was afraid I might at some stage, or my family might) nearly steered me away from DLP altogether and towards FP CRT.

Then the HT200DM was released with the six segment color wheel and the Dual Mode. After a demo of this unit I knew I had found my projector. It is simply wonderful. For viewing DVD's I believe there is no better LCD or DLP PJ.

One guy who complained about pixelation likes to sit 7' from a 5.5' wide screen!! (No wonder). I sit 13.5' from an 8' wide screen and see no pixelation.

One thing I've noticed on this forum is that specs. tend to rule which is always a mistake with Home Theatre and Hi-Fi equipment. See the picture, listen to the music (or movie) and make your decision. The end reult is all that matters.

As to the question regarding the extra cost of the DM, I believe it is more than justified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.