AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the same position as you, and like you was going to just try it out when it arrives....although I think for NTSC, you should just create a custom aspect ratio in 4:3 mode for your 16:9 screen. Alan did say a scalar will make a dramatic difference. I honestly think I am just going to use the pj for DVD and HDTV for now, and worry about NTSC on my direct view....of course I will hook up NTSC through my VCR and see how it looks on the Seleco, but I am not expecting miracles. 240 lines looks crappy on my direct view, and probably much worse with a 80" diagonal http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I use a RP91 too http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

We should keep in touch, since we are doing the same thing, so just email me with questions/problems, and I will do the same!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Seleco HT200DM is a “dual mode†projector that runs in either 848 x 480 (optimized for DVD playback) or 800 x 600. We’ve heard from several posts here that it does a great job right out of the box with a progressive DVD player, using the 848 x 480 mode. I just ordered one, and I’m planning on using it with a 16:9 screen.

Our main use of the projector will be for DVD movies, but we’d like to watch some satellite TV and VHS tape movies on the big screen if the quality isn’t too objectionable. If it is, we can just watch NTSC video on a 27†tube in the same room. I’m new at this high-end video stuff, and I’m having some trouble understanding how this dual-mode projector works with 480i/4:3 source video. I'm also trying to figure out whether or not an outboard doubler/scaler would be useful. Maybe some folks here who have played with the HT200DM can help me understand this:

1) If I've been watching a DVD movie in 848 x 480 on the 16:9 screen, what happens when I want to watch something off satellite TV or VHS tape (feeding the projector through the S-video input, and presumably using the built-in line doubler)? Do I keep the projector in 848 x 480 mode, and the 4:3 video is shown in black bars?

2) If that’s the preferred way to view NTSC video with this projector, then should I consider adding a basic outboard line doubler like the iScan Pro, which might do a better job than the projector’s built-in doubler?

3) Or, will NTSC look better on this projector if I use the 800 x 600 mode? Wouldn’t that throw the extra 120 lines off the top and bottom of the 16:9 screen, if I’ve been previously using the 848 x 480 mode? I’d rather not have to deal with zooming the lens to resize the image, unless this is some kind of automatic operation.

4) If 800 x 600 is the preferred way to view NTSC/4:3 video on this projector, then should I consider an outboard scaler (maybe a CI or Quadscan), which might do a better job than the projector’s built-in scaler?

I plan to try the new projector with no additional processing after it arrives, to see how well it does with NTSC video. I’m just curious about how this works. Has anyone seen the projector running an NTSC source, and had a chance to A/B the projector’s scaler vs. an outboard scaler… preferably an inexpensive one (<= $2000)? I know it probably looks great with something like a Faroudja NR. But since the projector is optimized for DVD playback and I’m feeding it from a Panasonic RP91 player, I’d only be buying an outboard scaler to clean up satellite TV and old VHS tapes. I don’t want to spend a fortune for that application.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hey there!

Here it is in a nut shell. When you are in the 16:9 mode, or 848x480 resolution, if you chose to watch 4:3 material, then you actually watch the image inside a 640x480 window....not 800x600. When you are in normal mode (800x600), then that gives you your 4:3 and watching 16:9 drops down to 800x480. The problem in this mode is that you are scanning through the whole 4:3 panel of information, even that which is turned "off". This slows down the refresh rate and thus hinders the picture capability. Keep in mind that this projector is dual mode, so you can use it either way, depending on your situation. There is no right or wrong way.

Thanks http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Jason. That info about the slower refresh rate at the higher resolution was the missing link I needed to understand the pros and cons. Makes perfect sense now.

Keith, we'll compare notes. I'll also try to post a HT200DM projector review here in the public forum after I get everything set up. We haven't seen enough reviews here. I'm waiting to hear what's WRONG with the projector. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
If one is using it in 480 16x9 mode...does the projector have different "zoom" modes to compensate between 1.33:1 material and 16x9 anamorphic material? Can it zoom a 4x3 lbxed DVD or NTSC source like laserdisc?

Please someone answer this. I've asked these questions several times and no one seems to know!

I'm sure I'll end up watching something other than an anamorphic DVD on occasion.

-dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.