AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this fine projector from the men in brown (UPS). Unfortunately, it is not really mine. It is for my upcoming retail establishment. I ordered it last week, figuring it would take a long time to get. It seemed there was such a lag time in getting the 200s and the 250s. Now I have to order the appropriate screen to try this sucker on.

------------------
My Home Theater Pics My Equipment List My DVD Collection My LD Collection

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It looks better -- less digital looking, if you know what I mean. It's optimized for 480P from DVDs and it has a very natural, CRT-like image (on a Stewart GrayHawk screen). It also has no rainbow effect, unlike the HT200, so far as I could determine when I saw it. It also seems quieter than the demo HT200 I've been using perhaps because of the change in the color wheel. It doesn't whine like my HT200 does.

I like the Silver and gray livery much better, too.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far it looks very impressive. I have only tried it on my semi-gloss white wall of my living room. The black level is much better than my 10HT, and I see no rainbow effect either. I have not heard the regular 200, but I am impressed with the quietness of the 200DM. I would put it in the same league as the 10HT...which is a good thing. These are nice looking projectors. It is a shame that it will be hidden in the demo room. As things work out, I will most likely be getting the screen for the store from DaLite. My local Stewart rep was not very good at returning phone calls.

------------------

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe DM stands for dual mode, i.e. it can do 800x600 or 848x(477? if i calculate the 16/9 correctly). Apparently all the 800x600chips really have 848 pixels horizontally but they are not used for business presentations. As far as I know, the 1024x768 chip is exactly that, so there are now spare pixels to be used in that chip and a DM would therefore not have any advantages.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tka is correct in that it is Dual Mode. The resolution is 800x600 in 4:3 and 848x480 in 16:9 mode. I think Alan Gouger here has been selling the Selecos from the AVS store. Although I have both the 10HT and the 200DM in my house right now, I have not turned them on simultaneously and run an A/B test yet. I can tell you the blacks are definitely better. The colors are quite vivid on both projectors though, and I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. I was hoping to bring them to someone who has a Greyhawk screen or otherwise. Maybe at Peter Kang's next time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Michael Lee (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
MichaelLee:

What does this "DM" nomenclature refer to? Are the specs improved over the regular HT200/250? I assume there IS a HT250DM, right? If so, it should be better than the HT200DM just like the non-DM counterparts. Do you know of any online etailers selling these products?

Dr D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm not positive on this but doesn't the HT200DM have a 6 element color wheel instead of 3 like the HT200? I think it was to reduce flicker and screen door effect. I'm not questioning whether or not DM stands for dual mode but I thought the color wheel change was the big difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Michael Lee:

What exactly does the "DM" nomenclature refer to? Are the specs improved vs the non-DM Seleco's? And what about a HT250DM? Do you know of any etailers offering these products online or are they only available through selected HT brick and mortar retailers? Lastly, have you personally side-by-side compared this projector to the Sony 10HT or the Sanyo PLV-60?

Dr D

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is indeed good news that sim will be coming out with the 250DM ! Michael, you are comparing the 200DM with the 10HT, isn't the 10HT showing more pixelized image on the screen compared to the 200 ? (I realized we are comparing two different technologies here !)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Forgive me for being cautious, but the last I read here the 250 never got rid of many of the artifacts typical to 1024x768 DLPs and wasnt as polished as the 200. Would the 250DM be any better?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Jeff,

I saw the 250 with a Vigatec Sunday, and it looked outstanding. I didn't see any artifacts---of course the vig might be the solution here. Also didnt see a single rainbow. "Evillager" pointed out a kind of horizontal tearing that would occur he said every 10-20 minutes or so, and that Seleco has fixed this in the upcoming software upgrade.

By the way, Evillager has a great setup! The coolest thing being the Lutron panels that silently scroll down to block any light into the room.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
There will be a 250DM eventually. We were told to expect it to roll out coinciding

with CEDIA in September. Seleco says the DM is optimized for DVD playback, where

the pixel count is highest in its form in 16:9.
Michael

I guess I am very curious as I have not seen TI mention that a 1:78 DM 848x480 is to be done on the XGA

chip ?

Or is this a complete new XGA chip that I failed to hear about ?

CEDIA is only in September (2 mths away) and Pete from TI did not mention this on the AVS Guest forum

(at least not that I remember - maybe I am wrong as usual).

Curiosity is always one way to learn new things.

DavidW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.