AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to view a Seleco HT200DM at a member's home last evening. The unit has deeper blacks than my previous HT250, and most importantly, it showed none of the motion artifacts that plague the HT250s. I brought two DVDs which incorporate various scenes that severley degrade the HT250s' picture quality (I've also tried these on other HT250s), and the 200DM handled them without the slightest hint of a problem. I'm ordering one in the morning--this is going to be a tough unit to beat!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Unfortunately, people by resolution specs, just as they "buy odometers" as the high end used car dealers like to say, So, 800 X 600 is a hard sell. Too bad, because there's so much more to it than that.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Hi Cain,

We are still waiting for a true production unit to come out...(z9000) I admit the Z9000 is promising too...I think that these 2 units are the best values in Home Theater...with of course the Seleco available NOW!

There is also something I like about 800 X 600 DLP units..and I really dont; know why..but they tend to have less noise and smoother images than their XGA counterparts..

Regards,

John

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
All the SVGA DLP chips are 848x600. it's just that no else is using the whole chip.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sounds great for DVD but I would think the lack of resolution would impact HDTV quality. I am a big fan of the native 16:9 projectors I have a 10ht it has 1366 x 768 and you can really tell the difference on DVD vs HD sources. Has any one compared HD vs DVD on the HT200DM? BTW this is not a LCD vs DLP post, I would love to see a 16:9 DLPs with more resolution.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hey Nut what discs are supposed to look bad on an HT250. I have not seen any that dont look great. The guys who sold it to me think that the picture is far better than the 200 and they are not just saying that because I was able to buy the 250 for less than most can get the 200 for. They made nothing on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have conducted a public HT Show with a HT200DM last Saturday. Two signal sources were demoed. One was 480P from a DVD player of EAD brand. Another signal source was 1080i from a recording of Japan BS programme played back from a D-VHS VCR of JVC brand. All the people were overwhelmed, especially when they watched the 1080i picture by this HT200DM.

Last Tuesday the HT200DM was having a Shootout witha Sony VPL-11HT. The 848x480 showed DVD picture with more outstanding quality. The DVD Player was a Pioneer AX10.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - my first post here! I am just about to buy a projector and have around £5000-6000 to spend. I had intended to buy a HT200 a few months back but in the time it has taken me to gather the cash the HT200DM has appeared (as you obviously know!). By all accounts it sounds like the one to go for but I thought I would just make sure. Are there any other candidates in this price range? I can increase the amount if necessary but would prefer to saty around this level. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

I am waiting for my HT200DM unit to arrive within hours. It should be working like a charm with a well tuned HTPC @ 848x600.

Cheers

Christoph

www.Kino-PC.de

[This message has been edited by clehner (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
This projector does not look as good as the Sharp z9000 does it??? I can see pixels a mile away!!
The HT200DM does show a hint of pixellation if you sit too close to the screen. I use my new HT200DM at a 14 foot viewing distance from an 82" diagonal screen, and I can't see pixels 98% of the time. Sometimes, if I really study the image, I can see pixels in certain patches of solid colors that are just the right density to maximize the effect. Most of the time I see just a smooth, pixel-free image. But if you need to sit close to a very big screen, or are unusually sensitive to pixellation, then you may want a higher res projector.

The downside of the high res projectors like the new Sharp 16:9, is that they need a scaler to map the DVD image onto the DLP chip. This causes additional image artifacts that you don't get with the HT200DM’s "direct wire" approach. In the worst cases I saw when comparing high res projectors recently, these scaling errors put a sort of veil over the image, and you can see weird glitches in motion sequences. I don't see any of that in the image on my HT200DM. High res projectors can look amazing when showing DVD’s, but usually that only happens after they’ve been tweaked with expensive outboard scalers. The Seleco HT200DM is ready to go, right out of the box. The better your progressive DVD player is, the better the image will look on the HT200DM. It's a nice simple approach.

P.S. I haven’t seen the new Sharp projector, so I don’t know how good the internal scaler is. I hope someone can do a shoot-out between the Sharp and the HT200DM on an even playing field (i.e. only using the Sharp’s internal scaler, or else using the same high-grade outboard scaler on both projectors).

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Chris

Let us know how you like your new seleco.

I have been unsuccessful in feeding the unit 848x600 or 848x480. The unit wants 800x600.

Has anyone else had any luck at this!

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi Alan,

You may want to readjust the horizontal sync/front/back porch of 848x600 to be in exactly the same ratio as 800x600. That is, if 10% of the total pixels in a scanline are sync/front/back porch pixels at 800x600 ..... you should make sure that the ratio is the same when doing 848x600. Normally, when you just type in a number such as 848 and then 600 in PowerStrip, it will not keep the porch ratios the same. Doing "Lock Geometry" will not work in this case either. Provided that the porch settings are properly kept in the same ratio (which usually requires a handheld calculator or the Calc.exe application) you should be able to change the horizontal resolution on a fussy CRT display.

Vertical resolution is another matter entirely, however!

Finally, if you're using a digital display rather than a CRT, you may end up having 848x600 get squished into the same space as 800x600. This is very likely to happen. If this is the case, it's very possible the projector is unable to do native scanrate at 848x600. However, if you do get 848x600 to display, even in a squished manner, try the horizontal image size adjustments in PowerStrip and see what happens. You will likely lose sync, but you can try.

------------------

Thanks,

Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
Lead Software Engineer for The TAW ROCK

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will tell you of a fantastic test to see the distortion that plagues high res DLPs. AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT RAINBOWS!

DVD: "The Good The Bad The Ugly." Go to chapter nine and watch carefully as the camera pans down the hangman's rope and then across the onlookers' faces. If you see no serious distortion during this scene--buy the projector!

·
Registered
286 Posts
About this "direct wire" approach. I understand that this is fabulous for DVD prog. scan. What about any other sources, esp. HDTV boxes. Do you just use 480p output for same effect?

And if you have basic Time/Warner cable (no HD) I assume one would want a scaler for SDTV 4:3 shows. What is best way to juggle scaler and "direct wire"?

Thanks

Randy

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Hi Mark

I am using the same settings with my 3 chip dlp and it works perfect.

For some reason I do not think the Seleco is allowing 848 pixels wide. I am able to display it but the pixel clock is off. If I adjust the pixel clock to the point where there is no distortion I am loosing a little picture info on the left and right side. Most likely 24 pixels each side which tells me it wont take 848. It takes and displays 800 perfect.

I will try your picture resizing idea using power strip.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.