Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am using a seleco HT250 together with HTPC. When watching PAL progressive scan with my HTPC, I got really disturbing artifacts during motion scenes. It is like a kind of tearing. If the camera is horizontally moving, some parts of the picture, especially areas of the same color like sky, housewall and even faces etc. become very disturbed. If there is no motion in the scene, everything is ok. It is also only when I watch progressive. For interlaced, it is ok. I tried 2 different HT250 with 2 different HTPC's. It is always the same. I tried refresh rates of 75 and 60Hz.

I also have it with NTSC DVD's. I can recognize this artifacts in almost every movie.

The problem looks like the HT250 is not fast enough to display the progressive images in the correct way. It looks like that there is a small delay between 2 pictures.

I never saw this on another DLP projector, also not on the HT200. Because I saw it on more than one HT250, this seems to be a general (performance) problem with the HT250.

I also had a discussion with Seleco about this and they confirmed problems on the HT250 with Pal progressive. They said, the new software 1.16x should solve this. I waited and ugraded the software last week to 1.16x but it is exactly the same.

Does anybody else also have this problem or does somebody have an idea/solution for this annoying problem.

Thanks for any help....

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
I will try this on the ht200dm but my problem is when I play pal dvds I get very bad stuttering from my pc, dropped frames no matter what display devise.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan,

I also noticed this on progressive NTSC DVD's. Would be interesting, if these artifacts also appear on the HT200DM. I guess not. The problem seems to be related somehow to the processing performance of the HT250. I am looking forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi there

A friend of mine (Switzerland too) has the HT250 and is experiencing the same problems as you are.

As soon as he switches from YUV progressiv to Y/C the problem is solved.

He has upgraed to the new software 1.16 and has had no improvements at all.

Sorry

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have an HT250 with the same problem. In discussing it with another HT250 owner I was told that it is a problem with the higher resolution DLP chips. He mentioned a tech note on Texas Instraments website, calling it a "bandwidth down sizing algorithm" problem. LIke you I do not see the problem with interlaced material, but only progressive.

I may end up swapping out to a lower resolution as I find this issue very annoying.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have been living with this annoying problem since I took posession of the machine at the beginning of the July. And the place where I purchased the unit from (Projectus), ran for the hills. They told me it was Seleco's problem, not theirs, and gave me an RA number.

The problem is, there is no fix. The tech at Seleco explained that this problem is caused by the refresh rate of the TI chip. He went on to say the problem isn't as noticeable on the HT200 because that unit's chip has half the amount of mirrors and doesn't need as long to refresh.

Seleco support is horrible concerning this matter. LValenzi, who fields questions on Seleco's website, had suddenly stopped replying to my e-mails, and refuses to take any of my calls. They're treating me as if I'm some type of pariah because I refuse to let this issue go.

The truth is, many of us believed Seleco's adds about the perfect picture quality of the HT250 and dug deep into our pockets to purchase one. Now that it doesn't live up to Seleco's claims, they simply want to walk away from their responsibilities.

The ranks of the disenchanted are beginning to fill; perhaps a class action suite may be in order. Are there any attorneys reading this?

Stay united,

Peter M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.