AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Has anyone had success with progressive DVD output? On my new HT300 the image is shifted down about 100 pixels with a black bar at the top containing white horizontal lines. Also, the colors are wacked out. Happens with two different players in progressive mode only. Yes, I'm using YCrCb 32 kHz. I know interlaced is supposed to look better anyway, but I want to confirm with my own hairy eyeballs.

2. Just out of curiosity, how do you set your Sharpness and Filter? Mine came set at (4,4). This gives a touch of ringing on the Avia sharpness test pattern, and on real material produces slightly visible jaggies on nearly vertical edges.

This post also gives me an excuse to find out how many members are in Club Seleco!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Tomhahn,

I have the sharpness set at the minimum, ie 1. Sharpness at 4 will undoubtedly be the cause of the ringing. I set the Digital filter to 4 which is just about right for my setup. To me, this produces a sharp image that still maintains its naturalness without discernable ringing. I have never used the progressive imput so I cannot help you here. It does sound odd though. Maybe Jason or Alan could shed light on this result? By the way, welcome to the HT300 club,

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Make sure you have the new software installed. version 2.05

There is a new sharpness filter in this software.

You no longer have V/H. You do get a graphics and a video filter.

Far superior in poerformance to the seperate V/H.

If you need the new software I can send you a link.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
1) The Seleco folks told me NOT to use a progressive input, to use the interlaced input. I have not had a chance to try using my DVD player with the progressive input, but I will try it soon.

2) Alan, is right. Be sure you have the 2.05 H Software, and Paul is also right, drop the sharpness to about 1, or perhaps try it a tad lower.

For me, things like ringing changed when I got my screen. Did you get your screen yet???

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Quote:
1. Has anyone had success with progressive DVD output? On my new HT300 the image is shifted down about 100 pixels with a black bar at the top containing white horizontal lines. Also, the colors are wacked out. Happens with two different players in progressive mode only. Yes, I'm using YCrCb 32 kHz. I know interlaced is supposed to look better anyway, but I want to confirm with my own hairy eyeballs.

tomhahn- 1st I have heard of this problem. Have you tried emailing Seleco to see what they have to say about this? Maybe the new software Alan is suggesting rectifies this unless you have a faulty projector?

Spero D.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Alan I assume I have the new S/W as I just bought this from you folks last week!

I have one sharpness control (no separate H/V) and a Filter control. Can someone tell me how to find out what my rev is -- maybe I have a newer version than anyone else and it has a brand-new bug :(

Thanks for the suggestion, Spero, I just emailed Seleco tech support -- we'll see how good their service is.

Cain: The Firehawk lands in two weeks. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Nope it sounds as if you have the latest software. Did you try backing down the sharpness a tad to see if it helped you?

Hit the Info button as I recall to see your revision.

-- Cain

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I knew that the sharpness was causing the aliasing, I was just curious to see how other owners set their controls. This unit is interesting in that the sharpness control reveals the effect of upsampling the image fom 480 to 768 before it gives rise to ringing. I personally can tolerate a little aliasing, but not ringing (EE).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi all,

Cain, I think that 1 is the lowest the sharpness control can go although I may be wrong.

tomhahn, are you saying that increasing the digital filter emphasises aliasing or increasing the sharpness filter does this? Or is all this popcorn I've been eating with the family recently going to my head?

Best Wishes,

Paul H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.