AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this was posted before, but I received a fax from my Seleco rep a few days ago about this. At CEDIA, they will be displaying this projector, which features:

Native 16:9 chip set

1280x720

Shorter Throw Distance 1.75 to 2.75 times the screen width

Faroudja processor-built in.

They are also introducing a 200 projector (HT200SWA) that is designed for rear projection setups. It will have a throw distance 0.8:1.

------------------
My Home Theater Pics My Equipment List My DVD Collection My LD Collection

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi,

here the mail from SIM I received at the time:

The HT300 is released for NOVEMBER!!

Dear Walter Kircher,

The new reference standard for home theater applications

A star is born: the HT300 High Definition projector the latest addition to the SIM2 Grand Cinema line.

Based on the new HD-1 DLPTM chip by Texas Instruments (1280 x 720 pixels), the HT300 delivers both native support for 720p, as well as 16:9 aspect ratio for a true high definition capability.

Also, the HT300 features a contrast ratio >1000:1, an unbeatable color rendition, double keystone adjustment, and a new built-in deinterlacer and video enhancement powered by Faroudja (DCDiâ„¢), a division of Sage Inc.. All this in a new, sophisticated but sporty casing.

The HT300 is scheduled for release in November 2001.

"This is an exciting announcement by SIM2," said Adam Kunzman, Manager of Home Portable Entertainment Products for Texas Instrument's DLPâ„¢ Products division. "Their products are well-respected in the industry for setting high standards, and we expect that the addition of the HT300 High Definition projector to their product line-up - based on our new HD-1 device - will allow SIM2 to continue their success."

SIM2 will unveil the HT300 projector for the first time to the world at the CEDIA EXPO in Indianapolis (booth #756).

Don’t miss out!. Come and see its amazing features for yourself!

SIM2 Multimedia reports a 40 percent increase in revenue during the first quarter of 2001. “We are very pleased with our financial growth, in part due to the tremendous success had by our Grand Cinema Lineâ€. says Maurizio Cini, Managing Director of SIM2 Multimedia. “Our success has been recognized through hundreds of enthusiastic reviews world-wide and 6 prestigious awards: the Italian 33rd SMAU Industrial Design; the British Best Video Projector of the Year by What Video & TV; the American Innovation 2001 (CES); the British Best Video Projector of the Year by Home Cinema Choice; and the American AudioVideo International Video Grand Prix Award. Two additional awards will be announced later this month.

“SIM2’s mission has always been to develop state-of-the-art products for Home Theater applications. The Grand Cinema line together with the latest HT300 model, testify to this commitment.†continues Mr. Cini. “Looking ahead to 2002, and given the current apprehensive economic trend of most countries, we remain very confident about the future of our business. In fact, we believe our strength is the ability to offer products and solutions for home entertainment that can fully provide cinema-quality images: in other words, a real theater for the home.â€

For further information, please contact:

Sabrina Piga

SIM2 Multimedia

Pordenone – Italy

Tel. +39-0434-383201

Email: [email protected]

or visit our web site at: www.sim2.it

Greetings, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info guys.. It seems word is leaking out now..

Two things I did not see..

1) Cost of the HT300

2) Lumen output, or much bulb info at all..

-- Cain

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Hmmm

Seleco HT300- $14,000 (Mentioned in another thread)

Sharp 9000- $10,000

At the Seleco price Faroudja or no Faroudja I will be going for the Sharp unless pricing changes.

Spero D.

·
Registered
157 Posts
its interesting that you think tha tthe Sharp will be about 10000 in OZ..... it just went on sale here today in tokyo and the guy at the shop told me about 690000Yen a bout a week ago.... which is closer to OZ 11000.

In any event, you can only ever decide these things by direct comparison so we will have to depend on the Chaps who go to Cedia to do it for us . i can see the Sharp, but Seleco only have one distributor in Tokyo at the moment and they only have the old 200HT on display.

Look forward to some useful comparisions

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The word is you're looking at 13 to 14 grand U.S. Not going to be much discounting on this unit, at least not at the beginning.

On the other hand, given how the previous Selecos have all been on the leading edge, I expect this baby to be pretty hot! (That's hot like in "cool", not hot like in "D-ILA". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

Dan

Dan

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think the Seleco will provide the better picture with the inclusion of good scaling and deinterlacing. With this being Sharps first Dlp I would probably see big improvements in Sharps next model. Seleco have a few miles under the belt now that will probably see the Seleco take the quality sales between these two units.

As always the absolute proof is in viewing them. When I last saw the Sharp it looked far from good (CES) and I would hope the improvements are great compared to what I saw in January.

Makes me wonder if we may see a 1920x1080 over the next year or so?

DavidW

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
Interestingly, in the translation of the German review of the Sharp, the

reviewer found that the Sharp developed deinterlacer "clearly

outperformed the Silicon [DVDO], and Sage/Faroudja." If true, that

would make the Sharp a real winner (all other things being equal, of

course, and are they ever?).
Now that would really surprise me a lot.

Although stranger things have happened.

DavidW

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Very interesting; for those of you at CEDIA, please try to get a sense of things in addition to the general picture quality, contrast and black levels: (1) whether the 6-segment wheel eliminates flashing, (2) the size/weight/dimensions and (3) fan noise levels.

Also, it would be very interesting if the Seleco had a scaled 720p video out, that would allow it to drive another display, such as a plasma.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
You will see the Seleco streeting for much less, under 10k.

The street price will be a little steeper than the sharp buy very close and for the extra features and color rendition the seleco may be the unit to beat out of the HT units.

I'm sure we will see plenty of presentation units under the 5k price point but these will lack the black level, color rendition,features of the more expensive HT units.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I think most folks would agree that the Selecos have been the king of the DLP hill for the last year, since the introduction of the Grand Cimena line last winter.

I suspect that this year, with so many new models of DLPs shipping that are also optimized for HT, Selecos status as king of the hill will become much, much less pronounced, if it even continues to exist.

Seleco did a good job of squeezing the most out of the early DMD chips, at a premium price. It seems likely that given the improvements inherent to the new DMD designs, that many other companies will now be able to make HT projectors very close to or exceeding the Selecos for less money.

The future for DLP projectors looks bright, and with much improved contrast too! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
The future for DLP projectors looks bright, and with much improved

contrast too!
I am not so sure about bright. To me it looks as though they will lose a few hundred Ansi's or so due to no clear sections etc. I am also not so sure the contrast ratios are more than one upmanship. I look at these 900:1 - 1200:1 quoted ratios and then I look at my Crt and other 500:1 - 700:1 units and the differences are major with comparision to a Crt and minor compared to other Dlps.

Looks like a lot of fudging (marketing) or some radical and differential measuring methods are used between units.

As long as they look good that is all that counts. I think buying on specs is not so wise.

DavidW

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Alan, I am surprised, I thought the Seleco HT300 would sell for 12K of more..

Is anyone from AVS going to the show so they can report back to us first hand on these new DLP projectors???

-- Cain

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think I have seen a number of posts from Jason Turk suggesting that he will be at CEDIA and that he will be reporting back on all that he sees. Definitely looking forward to those posts http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i will be there and plan to take a real close look at all the dlp's. i am waiting for samsung or someone like that to get in the market with an hd1 for about $1500!!! that should start to drive the price down on the seleco and marantz. sooner or later the fact that they all have the same comodity guts inside has to take it's toll on price.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes, Jason said that he will be doing "mini" reviews on the different projectors he sees at CEDIA. It should be interesting because the HT300 sounds very promising, for the price.

------------------

Keith S.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The Sage/Faroudja chips used in the Seleco HT300 are the same as in the Kenwood Soverign DVD players, and the Marantz VP-12S1 DLP FPTV: the FLI2200 deinterlacer and the FLI2220 video enhancer. (The Marantz also uses a Sage/Faroudja chip as a decoder.)

The Marantz uses the new 16:9 chip, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 700 ANSI lumens, 6 segment color wheel, and Minolta optics for $13k.

Interestingly, in the translation of the German review of the Sharp, the reviewer found that the Sharp developed deinterlacer "clearly outperformed the Silicon [DVDO], and Sage/Faroudja." If true, that would make the Sharp a real winner (all other things being equal, of course, and are they ever?).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.