AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the new sim 2 to replace my Sanyo 21N. Sholud I consider the Sim 2 or the Sharp 9000?:confused:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Upgrading from the XP21 to either is not all that much of an upgrade, especially for DVD viewing. I would wait for a brighter, DVI compliant solution. The XP21N is a very good projector unless you are super sensitive to screen door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main objective is movies on DVD. The 21 N seems pretty good although I am not sure I have the settings optimised. I am not sure that I got a better PQ from my Plus U2-1130 on the 15 pin progressive scan out put from a Theta progressive player.

I have a problem getting the picture to fit my screen as i am too close for the 21N to work with 4:3.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Both of these projectors use the same engine. The main difference between them is that the Seleco HT300 has the Faroudja processing built in. To compare apples to apples:

Seleco HT300: $14997.00

Sharp XV-Z9000 + Faroudja NRS: $10995.00+$3999.00 = $14994.00

If you felt you didn't need the processing (already have a scaler/HTPC), then the Sharp would be a better choice for you. I've seen both projectors (briefly) but we will be doing a head to head comparison when the Seleco ships!

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I were you I would give the Dwin Transvision A look. Or even Better Wait for the new Tranvision Two which will have the new DMD not to mention upgraded optical engine compared to the SIM/Sharp/Runco coupled with the fixed pixel version of the Transcanner 2 and two lens and bulb options to suit your needs.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
What size/type screen do you have???

How far back do you sit??

How dark is your HT ??

-- Cain

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
Both of these projectors use the same engine. The main difference between them is that the Seleco HT300 has the Faroudja processing built in. To compare apples to apples:

Seleco HT300: $14997.00

If you felt you didn't need the processing (already have a scaler/HTPC), then the Sharp would be a better choice for you.

I do posses a scaler the Crystalimage V2.0 but I found the progressive DVD image to be better feeding the PJ directly. I have tried the HTPC and found that to be really great but need to get a 5.1 sound card, using a creative live right now.

I've seen both projectors (briefly) but we will be doing a head to head comparison when the Seleco ships!

Eagerly awaiting that !! Thanks

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
What size/type screen do you have???

How far back do you sit??

How dark is your HT ??

-- Cain
I am using a Stewart Studiotek 1.3 gain screen . It is 78 " wide and42" high . It is 152" from the rear wall and I sit a foot off the rear wall

Th eroom is completey dark as it is a dedicated room

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Biocca
If I were you I would give the Dwin Transvision A look. Or even Better Wait for the new Tranvision Two which will have the new DMD not to mention upgraded optical engine compared to the SIM/Sharp/Runco coupled with the fixed pixel version of the Transcanner 2 and two lens and bulb options to suit your needs.
Where can I get some more info on the DWIN TWO??Any threads that I can read?, Many Thanks

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Quote:
And the beauty of this combo (vs the seleco) is that you now have just one run of RGB cables from your equipment closet!!!

It would be *insane* for some of us to try to run dedicated video cables for each video type source (composite, S, component for DVD/HDTV etc.) to the projector the way our room is set up.

Give me a black box in the closet wtih the equipment that takes all my video sources, optimizes them and converts them to one resolution in a 16x9 frame...and then just let me worry about getting that *one* signal to my projector, which can then be calibrated for just one signal...letting the box take care of differences between the various sources for me.

The stupid thing about the Faroudja is: 1. it's lack of digital video input and 2. it's lack of 480P pass-through. BTW, will the Faroudja down-scale 1080I to 720P and allow for 720P pass-through as well? If not...then it's not the magic box after all.

-dave

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,180 Posts
I know the list price on the Seleco HT300 is steep, but historically have they done much discounting off list? Anyone know a release date/timeframe for the DWIN with the 16:9 DLP chip?

·
Registered
683 Posts
WynsWrld98 - Seleco has historically allowed discounting of their products. For example the original HT200, MSRP of $9,000 could be found for $7,000 +/-. The HT250, MSRP of $12,000 could be found for $9,500 +/-.

If you apply this same percentage of discounting to the new HT300 at a MSRP of $14,995, it would be available for about $11,500 +/-. Of course this is complete conjecture on my part, based on past product pricing.

One thing is certain - prices will be higher at first, then come down as other manufacturers offer similar products and/or technology makes another advancement.

Of course the best pricing is always on used products or dealer demos. Many of these are "like new", and can be found for 50% or more off MSRP. (For example a dealer demo of a $13k Dwin Transvision sold for $5k) Deals can always be found, you just have to be willing to wait. That's the hardest part :) Reed.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,180 Posts
Thanks for the info Reed. The sealed optical assembly and long lamp life (I heard 6000 hours but am not sure this is confirmed) are VERY attractive to me vs. the Sharp 9000.

Anyone know a release date/timeframe for the DWIN with the 16:9 DLP chip?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I am told it will be released in Febuary. But as is usual that will probably be the minimum. I am awaiting the HT-300, Transvision and the Barco.

From what I have seen as far as the best spec sheet is concerned the Barco looks very interesting. With Firewire and DVI I think it looks very good. It uses a full digital connection which should be a big jump over all these units without a full digital path.

Makes me wonder why the other brands are forgetting about offering DVI/Firewire and a pure digital path to the mirrors.

Seems too little, far too late for what period we are in with digital sources.

DavidW

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
David: can you post any info you have on the BARCO or post an URL to where there is info on it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I too would love to know where to find information on the upcoming Dwin and Barco offerings.

You know, it would be great if, somewhere in this forum, there would be a fixed page that listed the official specs for key projectors that are discussed here. There's probably only about 10 or 12. It could be updated as better information becomes available. Or, perhaps someone could do up a spreadsheet with projector specs, etc.

In fact, I'd be willing to put something together if folks want to send me URLs for the specs of their favorite HT capable projector.

Or, perhaps something already exists?

- John

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.