AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this forum I've got a showstopper upgraded to 160hrs with dual 80g hd iwth cooling fan installed. I'm totally thrilled about machine and a strong advocate of replayTV.

My only major frustration is very slow response from remote that has developed over past few months. I think it may be related to the amount of recorded material I've stored. I've noticed that delay in response comes only from "select" button. Other buttons respond OK. Often if I press "select" button too long to bring up menu I wind up double selecting, activating the wrong item on next menu. Anyway it has become very frustrating.

What I would like to understand is why this is happening? Is this a problem with a worn out remote key or simply the slower response of the showstopper ?

Have otehrs had similar problems?

Should I learn to live with this or do I have a machine or remote with a problem?

This is my second attempt at getting clarification on this. If this question is too stupid to repond to than just say so and I'll never ask it again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an unhacked SS2000 which I have owned for about 1.5 years. In the past few months it has gotten pretty sluggish as you have described.

:(

It seems to be related to the number of channels in the Replay Guide. I have way too many recordings of Oprah (don't ask!), Blue's Clues, Rollie Polie Ollie(sp), Bob the Builder, etc.

Recently we had to revert to recording everything on the highest compression level because the things is so full. I've been trolling lately on success stories of upgrading. I'll plan to upgrade some time before the end of summer. To what? Im not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
There are several potential causes that I won't elaborate on at the moment. Use the copy button method and create a second input button using a key you seldom use such as "mute" or "return to live" http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/manua...eplay#keymove1

If the problem continues even with the new button then post back with your memmeter reading for more help (243 "zones" - memmeter)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe the problem described above is not a Remote Control Issue. It is a function of how busy the microprocessor is on the ReplayTV. The 4000 series seems to improve on this, but with the ability to stream and larger storage capabilities, it can easily slow down like the earlier models. I have also noticed a delay in scrolling through the guide.

The fact that you are describing a delay meand the Remote is working properly.

Other issues that can cause IR problems include Noise from Flourscant Lights, Low Battery in Remote, Noise picked up and Amplified by IR Extenders (if used)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmccann
I have an unhacked SS2000 which I have owned for about 1.5 years. In the past few months it has gotten pretty sluggish as you have described.

:(

It seems to be related to the number of channels in the Replay Guide. I have way too many recordings of Oprah (don't ask!), Blue's Clues, Rollie Polie Ollie(sp), Bob the Builder, etc.

Recently we had to revert to recording everything on the highest compression level because the things is so full. I've been trolling lately on success stories of upgrading. I'll plan to upgrade some time before the end of summer. To what? Im not sure yet.
I can't imagine a stock Showstopper having so many recordings that it drags down memory. It must be excess empty replay channels causing your trouble. Delete as many empty replay channels as possible and reboot. Even with a larger disk you still must restrict replay channels. If you haven't rebooted lately give that a shot as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback - I'll reassign the select function to another button and give it a try. Given the erratic nature of response it is probably more likely a processing issue than a malfunctioning button. I'll try to keep my HD tidy and learn to live with this annoyance.

I'll report back with results when I can.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If it is only the select button then I would think that it is the remote. It is because that button gets used the most. I had the same problem with the select and the down arrow buttons. You can try opening the remote and cleaning it. Alcohol and a Q-tip work well. You'd be surprised how dirty they get. Good luck. -mk

·
Registered
412 Posts
My Select button responded the same way, it was definitely the remote. It was worn out to the point (as discussed in other threads) that it was not making contact without a good, long push. Unfortunately, this many times resulted in holding it down too long and it sending several command sequences. My new 19-2104 remote from Radio Shack has been great, but I still have to clean my old one up before I sell my Replay 2020 (I upgraded to a 4040) to a friend. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get into it without breaking the case.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If anyone confirms that the remote button is going bad, it can be repaired as good as new with the "Rubber Keypad Repair Kit" found here:
http://www.hosfelt.com/Chemtronics%2...tronic%204.htm

Be careful when cleaning the remotes with alcohol, etc. I think it's safe to clean the metal contacts on the circuit board but I don't think you should use alcohol on the black rubber contact. The rubber contact has a carbon coating on it and through repeated use will begin to wear. I'm betting alcohol can do more harm than good.

The repair kit is a kind of flexible epoxy-like conductive paint. You mix part A with part B and then paint it on the rubber button where the carbon coating is worn off. Let it dry for 24 hours and voila! Buy the small container or a couple small containers. Once you mix the two parts, you only have like 48 hours to use it or it hardens.

[edit] Here's a link to a .pdf technical data sheet for the product:
http://www.chemtronics.com/tds2/CW2610.pdf [/edit]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its definitely the remote. As kindly suggested by Mikeyboy after reassigning the select key to the "0" key (which I don't use often), Presto! "selecting" is now virtually instantaneous.

Thanks to all -

I'll try to clean the original select key - any suggestion on how to open the remote? I assume one must pry it open - which end should I attempt this from : front or rear?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Good that is a simpler problem than the alternative, low system memory

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's most likely that your keypad simply needs cleaning. Once you get the remote open, all you need is a cotton swab. I had the same problem--it seems to be pretty common--and found detailed help on this site. Just search for something like "select key."

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lsarver
It's most likely that your keypad simply needs cleaning. Once you get the remote open, all you need is a cotton swab. I had the same problem--it seems to be pretty common--and found detailed help on this site. Just search for something like "select key."
You're probably correct. I just want to repeat -- avoid cleaning the rubber buttons -- just clean the printed circuit board contact that the rubber button would touch if it were pressed.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Good point, Rudy.

I just dry-swabbed the underside of the keypad to remove visible condensation. (Sweat?) No solvent, not even water.

But the pc card had spots of clear, sticky residue, which yielded only to alcohol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do I open the remote ??

I removed the small screw in the battery bay and then tried prying. Didin't seem to be getting very far. Before I ruin the remotes seamsetc can anyone tell me where the 'tabs' that hold the cover on are located ?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If you need to repair the underside of the buttons to restore their conductivity, you can use the same product that you would use to fix a rear window defogger, which can be had at any auto parts store. I have tried and tested the Loctite product and it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading this thread I decided to fix my problen "Select" button. I went out and bought the Rear Window Defogger repair kit.

The instructions to open the unit were pretty straight forward ( http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble/ ). I used an old Block Buster Rental card (havn't had to use that since I got my ReplayTV and hooked it up to my DTV). I used a Jewelers screwdriver to make the initial breach and then just worked the card in as I moved down the side of the remote. It worked great.

When I got the unit open I could see my problem. All around the Select button and the direction buttons were beads (puddles) of some liquid. I found it interesting that Isarver mentioned the same "visible condensation". I don't think I get so excited using my Replay that I would get "sweat" puddling up under the keypad but maybe I do.

Has anyone else noticed this strange liguid? It was actually on the underside of the pad which would mean it would have to works its way around the Keypad. But in looking at the shape of that area of the keypad I can see where repeated use of the Select button could create a sort of suction effect pulling air and moisture into that area.

Anyway I wiped it up (both the keypad and the circuit board) with alcohol and a cotton swap. Put the unit back together and it works great. I wonder how often this mysterious liquid will reappear?

Rudy

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm convinced my Select button unresponsiveness is a compound problem.

I cleaned up my recording channels (some stuff long gone, but with mild hope of catching a return -- wouldn't you know I just deleted Witchblade...)

Wow, my old Showstopper got back its old zip!

But now, I notice by watching the led, unlike the other buttons, the Select button isn't very reliable with just a casual press.

I'm pretty sure that whatever is happening inside the remote was grossly aggravated by the extra hard pressing I found myself doing as the Showstopper got progressively more sluggish -- no doubt as my channels got more cluttered.

Now I know better, but I wonder what might be done to prevent this situation from developing for the unsuspecting?

Also, totally subjectively, I feel that maybe a software upgrade along the way may have contributed -- when I first got the Showstopper I got pretty carried away with channels and I don't remember the same kind of sluggishness. Or maybe there was some kind of fragmentation or disorganization as the latest clutter built up gradually over many months?

At any rate, lacking the courage to risk Replay withdrawal, I need to get a backup remote and then undertake the scary "open and clean the remote" part II of this remedy to get everything back in topnotch working order...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Robman,

Do you think the rear-window defogger repair kit is better or as good as the kit I linked to earlier in the thread? I know that the kit I referred to is designed to remain flexible and is especially for remotes but I'm wondering if the rear window stuff will last as long or get hard in time. I'd love to find out it is the same stuff since it's much more convenient to pick some up at the auto parts store.

It probably won't make much of a difference for quite some time I guess. I remember reading the spec sheet on the rubber repair kit (also linked above) and it said it was tested for 500,000 keystrokes! (I could see using the 30sec skip button a ton of times but not "select" -- either way, that's a lot of keystrokes! :) )

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.