AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm looking to find a laptop which will work well for HD playback with Blu-ray and MKV's. My old HTPC can't cut it for HD playback and my laptop just died so I'm looking for one thing to replace both. Storage isn't an issue, I have another PC to hold media.

I'm interested in hearing what laptops/models work well and what front end you are running.

Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
a laptop will work, but not the best solution.

i'd suggest building one. there are lots of options that you can do and will most likely be cheaper.

that said, i would say maybe look into a dell studio hybrid. they're small, good looking, fairly cheap and plenty powerful enough to do htpc. its made from laptop parts, just set up as a desktop.

i used a dell studio 15" laptop for htpc duty for 11 months and it worked well enough, had some issues with it but nothing major. i like the studio line mostly case they are well priced and customizable (lid cover art is amazing, biggest reason i bought it). battery life isn't stellar, ~2.5hours (w/6cell battery). i'd differently recommend the 9cell battery.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Look for the same things you'd look for in a desktop HTPC. HDMI out and ATI 4000 series, Nvidia 9000 series or Nvidia GT series graphics. There are at least a couple notebooks in the $500-$600 range with those qualifications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts