AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
If you can spend a little more, you can pick up a used ATI Radeon 4870 on eBay for ~$110-$120 (4850 for a little less), otherwise you can pickup a GTS250 for ~$100 on eBay.

Right now you can save 10% on eBay by going through Bing.com/shopping . Just search for "camera" and click on the eBay add on the right side.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i decided to go with the gts 250. but this creates another question. i have a 480w power supply. the gts 250 needs at least 450w and my processor needs 80w and so on. will the 480w supply cover it all?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yeah, if it's a quality brand PSU it's fine. The wattage estimates from card manufacturers are worthless. They include the peak power draw of the card and a pull-a-number-out-of-the-air estimate of your other components. If you're really curious, find a site that did actual wattage testing on the card. Or if it's an EVGA sometimes they list peak draw on their specs page.

BTW there has been a chip revision on the 2xx series cards that draws less power. Depending on the manufacturing date you may have the new low power model. Someone else prolly knows exactly how to check it.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbfreak /forum/post/17046944

would you think this would run everything just fine then?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m%20480w%20psu

I would stay away from cheap power supplies such as that one. The negative reviews for that particular one are very discouraging. People have had issues with it literally blowing up on them, and the actual output apparently doesn't even closely meet what is advertised. These are common traits of a cheap power supply.

Go for an efficient, well-reviewed power supply from a company with a good reputation. This is one area where you definitely don't want to skimp.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can someone please post a power supply of 500/600 watts thats reasonably priced and has a fan in the back rather than the top? if you could that would really help. also, if you could find one on newegg.com that would be great as i am getting all my parts from there in one big order.

Thanks!

-RJ

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
The GTS250 is a great little card. It runs everything at 1920x1080 on my system just fine.

As for the request of a PSU with a fan on the back - why the back? The larger top placed fan will move more air with less noise. It is just a better place for a PSU fan in every possible way.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/17046989

I would stay away from cheap power supplies such as that one. The negative reviews for that particular one are very discouraging. People have had issues with it literally blowing up on them, and the actual output apparently doesn't even closely meet what is advertised. These are common traits of a cheap power supply.

Go for an efficient, well-reviewed power supply from a company with a good reputation. This is one area where you definitely don't want to skimp.

yea, that power supply is crap. Even its advertised output is 18A of 12V power...that's not enough for any modern video card...and that assumes it can even put out 18A. Corsair is highly recommended.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/17047238

The GTS250 is a great little card. It runs everything at 1920x1080 on my system just fine.

As for the request of a PSU with a fan on the back - why the back? The larger top placed fan will move more air with less noise. It is just a better place for a PSU fan in every possible way.

my case doesn't have a place to let the air out of the fan on top ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119161 )

should i get a new supply or both a new supply and case?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"my case doesn't have a place to let the air out of the fan on top"

The PSU isn't looking to let air out the top. It's lookng to pull air in from the bottom, facing the CPU, and forcing it through the power supply out the back. In your heads internal diagram of how you would mount the PSU, flip the PSU upside down.
Makes more sense now, huh?

A bottom mounted PSU fan does a better job of helping exhaust the whole system, as air is pulled from a heat generating source, instead of from around your DVD drive like a back mounted 80mm fan.

"GTS250 is just a rebranded 9800GTX+"

Your point? Being a cost reduced iteration of a previous product doesn't change the fact that the thing is fast as hell. Additionally, the GTS250 version will give you better choices as to which card you pick up given that it is a currently produced product.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/17049184

The PSU isn't looking to let air out the top. It's lookng to pull air in from the bottom, facing the CPU, and forcing it through the power supply out the back. In your heads internal diagram of how you would mount the PSU, flip the PSU upside down.

A bottom mounted PSU fan does a better job of helping exhaust the whole system, as air is pulled from a heat generating source, instead of from around your DVD drive like a back mounted 80mm fan.

Plus it's usually 120mm+ fan on the bottom which can mean a much quieter PSU!!!

Quote:

Your point? Being a cost reduced iteration of a previous product doesn't change the fact that the thing is fast as hell. Additionally, the GTS250 version will give you better choices as to which card you pick up given that it is a currently produced product.

If you keep your eyes open you can easily find a 9800GT+/GTX for well under $100...Newegg has one in their Shell Shocker Deal of the Day every other week. I got a factory overclocked Gigabyte 9800GT (GTX speed) with Zalman cooler (very quiet) for $69. back in eary June. Just 2 weeks ago they had an MSI 9800GTX for $89 + a mail in rebate. The GTS250's are still fetching $120.....people *think* the 9800/8800's are "old" technology now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:

Alright, one final question for this thread. Is should be a no-brainer, but i don't want to send one of my parts back because something doesn't work. Anyway, my motherboard needs a 24 pin power supply. The PSU i found has a 20+4. that will still work, right?

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:

Wow. Lighten up. My point was a response to the previous poster who said it was a nice little card. I don't know how you took anything negative or positive from my response- just that it was nVidia's typical rebranding of their videocards. Nothing wrong with it. But it is a bit confusing I think, especially when people post what a great card it is, like it's something new- I just wanted to point out that it wasn't new at all.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbfreak /forum/post/17051246

Hey, i found a 4870 that was a bit cheaper than the gts 250 i found. Do you think i should get it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113
How much did you pay for your GTS250? It shouldn't have cost you more than $100 (look on eBay, plenty of new ones on there for that price). 4870 is much faster than gts 250, it's closer to a gtx 260.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.