AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dedicated room built with double brick walls with vanity in between and planning on treating the room for sound absorption and may be diffusion too.

My requirement is to build a theater that can be used both for movies and Music. I believe I need to have a balance between SPL and Q?

I am looking at various choices I have here:
http://www.data-bass.com/drivers

And I am referring to http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq1 to understand various parameters.

My question is, provided that my requirement is to watch movies as well as listen to music, what kind of xmax, Qts, Fs and SPL I should be looking at? I will probably go for a 2 sub woofer system. (9.2 or 7.2).

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
how large is your room and how loud (subjectively) do you like to listen, particularly to music (medium, loud, club/concert level)?

the specific technical parameters of the drivers will follow the larger questions and your goals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LTD02:
My room is around 22' x 14'.

I d say I like to listen to music loud occasionally even club/concert level.

When it comes to movies, I prefer bit more louder than most commercial theaters..

I want the bass to be clear at the same time.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Budget? How much space can you dedicate to sub boxes? Or IB? Most people want response down to 15-20 Hz for home theater purposes, doing that loud as well takes some planning.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
How complex of a box are you capable of building? This could rule out a horn or make one or two a possibility.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
seems like 4x Dayton 460HO
4 big ported cabs tuned to about 17hz (in just about any form factor that you can imagine)
pair of inuke6000dsp
and a partridge in pear tree.
could always start with 1/2 a system, then upgrade.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.
@LTD02
I will look in to this configuration. Do you have some parameters for driver in mind that would fit this purpose? So that I can see which options would suit me best apart from your suggested Dayton 460HO?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
A lot of parameters will need to be looked at when you decide on what you want to build. if you have a large budget then small sealed could work for you. If you have lots of room you can build horned subwoofers. If you want to maximize you space and have lots of useful extension then ported.

There are so many variables here. Not designed a system for someone that uses cheap 18's and large enclosures. That would work well for anyone that has the space. There are just too many variables that need to be answered first. Budget? Size constraints? SPL at "X," hz?

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
there are many different combinations of parameters that can be found in good designs and poor. there are also other factors that are not listed as any of the parameters. generally what you want is a low distortion system with ample output (including a large margin of headroom).
data-bass.com has a large number of systems and you can see by investigating there that a wide variety of driver parameters can be seen in drivers that meet the goal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets say my budget is less than $2000 for drivers + boxes + amplifiers.
My room size is 22' x 14' x 12'. I am ok to allocate enough space to get the bases I need, as long as it stays less than 1/10 th of total room volume.

I am looking at http://www.data-bass.com/ and giving attention mostly to Fs, SPLSens, Qrs and Xmax.
I have read about these parameters and this is my limited understanding..

1. A lower Fs is better to get deep base
2. Qts - According to http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/choosing_the_correct_speaker.html, should I try to keep this in the range .30 to .36?
3. SPLSens - The larger, the better
4. xmax - The higher, the better

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Looking for drivers with particular specs will be a less efficient process than just letting the experts (not me) here direct you. There are a handful of good value 18s that will work great for you. If you only needed music then you have a hundred options.

I personally would go with 4 siht18s-d4s and an inuke 6000dsp. With wood and misc stuff that should come in under $2000 and I doubt you'll need more than that.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yeah, TS specs on their own aren't really going to tell you what you need; that would be a case of "can't see the forest because of all the trees." The box design and alignment is huge as well. Try looking at the Martysub FAQ as a starting point. The Marty designs are proven ported subs meant for home theater and work with a variety of drivers.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
well, without being to hard because you *are* trying to understand a very complicated matter. ;-)

1. A lower Fs is better to get deep base

no. sealed enclosure bass is pretty much xmax limited only. higher fs just requires more eq or ported and generally has more upper end spl and lower distortion.

2. Qts - According to http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/choo...t_speaker.html, should I try to keep this in the range .30 to .36?

no. when you put a driver in a box, the qtc will change to the system. the driver parameter by itself is kind of a best case. qtc in the range of .5 to about 1.0 is a rough reasonable range for most home audio subs.

3. SPLSens - The larger, the better

no. sensitivity is measured outside the bass region for many drivers. all other things equal, higher tends to be better, but past a certain point that various from design to design, it can be an indicator the system is lacking in other ways (xmax and power handling for example).

4. xmax - The higher, the better"

that is a tough one to answer clearly either way. generally yes for better very low end performance, not so much so for the upper end bass performance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
your room isn't gigantic, so I might suggest using one of the form factors that is a little taller than long.

four big ported subs with only 500 watts each will get something roughly around this before room gain/modes.

115db if full bass reference thx.
up to about 123 with full redirected bass.
front row rock concerts can push 130db, but that really is getting too loud even if you like it loud. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
a vertical arrangement could save some floor space. the port can go up the back or out the front. pretty much any form factor that you think up can work. calculating the port isn't a big deal once you select something that you like.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks LTD02.
what kind of difference would you expect from expensive drivers such as LMS Ultra 5400/RE Audio drivers and cheaper drivers such as Dayton 460HO?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts