AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not see this being talked about. But how do you decide which is the correct backlight for your LCD models? I have a Samsung UA55H7150. For calman and Lightspace, for the probe like i1 display pro, you can select LCD - White, LCD CCFL, LCD many others. It used to be easy for plasma as there was only one. But with such a wide range of different LED backlighting incorporated in LCD makes it difficult to know which to choose. Or does it not matter so much?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
But how do you decide which is the correct backlight for your LCD models?
The datasheet of your display may contain information about the type of backlight. I'd reckon it's white LED as almost all LCD TVs on the market today fall in that category.

Or does it not matter so much?
For an instrument like the i1D3 which has relatively good filters it doesn't matter as much as for instruments with lower quality filters. The goal of such a display technology type selection for colorimeters is to make the colorimeter match a reference, and/or to avoid color casts due to imperfect filter response for a given display spectral distribution.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will continue to use LCD - White LED or similar for the time being. I just changed to LCD and notice that my probes seem to be having issue with colours compared to plasma or even projectors like JVC. At least thats why I think I am having strange and non repeatable results with each calibration. Charts says something but visually some colours just feels off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts