AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has attempted a DIY version of these screens.

For those not in the know they are a black screen with "filters" in front of it that only reflect certain colors. The theory is you can get the greatest contrast ration in a well lit room becuase you're not attempting to "project black"

Wikipedia describes it better:

Certain screens are designed to selectively reflect the narrow wavelengths of projector light while absorbing other wavelengths in the optical spectrum. One screen made by Sony, which appears grey when viewed in normal room light, is designed to reduce the effect of ambient light. This works by preferentially absorbing ambient light of colors not used by the projector, while preferentially reflecting the colors of red, green and blue light the projector uses. It is unclear whether this approach protects the image from being degraded due to light that reflects from the screen to the room and back. A contrast-enhancing screen has been introduced by Dai Nippon Printing (DNP) and Screen Innovations which is based on thin layers of black louvers rather than wavelength-selective reflection properties.

Here a screen shot of a professional version of one of these screens in action:

you can clearly see the ambients on all around and the great color and contrast of the Black screen (on the right).

Any Ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So from that thread it seems plausible.

Ordered a few different Black laminate samples from Formica and Wilsonart, and I'll have my Cinematographer friend swing by with his colored gels and start playing with them. I'll let you know how it turns out

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.