AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm planning my home theater, but am still a few months out from starting. Trying to figure out how to share expensive HD sources (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, HD Satellite).

Looking at the Denon 3808 and other comparable receivers. Need to know if I can wire up a HD source with HDMI and Component to the receiver and then select which one I want to use by way of a macro-based remote. For example:

1. For viewing movies in the theater, I'd use HDMI to get 1080p and HD audio.

2. For viewing the same content in the theater, living room, bar area and kitchen (perhaps a Super Bowl party), I'd like to use Component out to a splitter.

So, will this be possible, or will the source always use HDMI as long as the cable is connected?

Thanks!

Jared

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that addresses the input (receiver) side of the connection, which I'm fine with.

But I'm curious about the output (DVD player) side. If the DVD player has both HDMI and Component outs attached, will it let me select the output or will it always use HDMI if its connected?

Jared

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Can your DVD player output HDMI and Component at the same time? You didn't mention what type of DVD player you planned to use.

Zone 1 will use HDMI for video if you've assigned it to use HDMI. The Audio may be set to Auto/HDMI/Analog/EXT-IN. Zone 2 cannot use or convert HDMI, it will always use analog video (component, s-video, composite) and analog audio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon, thanks for the replies.

Unless newer/better gear comes out in the meantime I plan to have a Panny BD30 and an Toshiba XA2 (along with HR20 for D* TV). I don't need to output HDMI and Component at the same time; only be able to select Component when the HDMI cable is still attached. For example:

If I look at the Denon 3808, it has 2 HDMI outputs and 2 Component outputs in Zone 1. I'd like to be able to select the OUTPUT on the DVD player and INPUT on the receiver to be HDMI or Component based on the displays I plan to watch a program on.

For a movie in the theather, the DVD would output on HDMI, receiver would INPUT and OUTPUT on HDMI.

For a sports program, the D* TV box would output on Component and the receiver would INPUT/OUTPUT on Component so that I could split the content to several displays.

Will I be able to force these actions via a macro-based remote?

Jared

1 - 5 of 5 Posts