AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a 'typical' gadget guy, with 20 years PC background, and typically able to do all my own connectivity for audio equipment...but zero experience with front projectors...

Would it be ill advised of me to think I could purchase something like a SIM2 Domino and calibrate it myself? Of is it worth the few hundred $ to go through a local dealer and have thelm install and calibrate?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well installation is not that difficult. I'm sure you could do that. Calibration depends on what level. You can easily get a Video Essentials or such setup disc and do the standard adjustments, such as color, tint, brightness, contrast and sharpness. The ISF type calibration sets up things such as grayscale and whatnot. This is advisable to do if you want the best performance, but requires the knowhow and even more specifically, certain equipment. This is where a good ISF guy might be useful. What I'd suggest is doing what you can on your own, and see how you like the results. Then figure out if its worth hiring someone to do the grayscale for you.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Ewing,

If you've ever tweaked a pc monitor, that's about all you need to do to a projector--usually get the contrast/brightness relationship set to your liking, then color temperature and tint. Don't expect CRT-like black performance, and think you can go into "service" mode and tweak gamma, etc. It isn't worth it. AND, don't do a lot of unecessary tweaking until you get your screen and environment setup. So much depends on that. And if that weren't enough don'ts. Content and input will also vary. So just when you've got it tweaked for DVD, cable comes along with an extra bright and contrasty program to throw you off. I'd almost suggest you stick with the initial setup mode of the projector and watch many different movies and TV, and then go after more this and more that (typically more black definition and less red skin tones).

Oh and try different color temperatures, then tint, then messing with individual R,G,B in that order, as it will get very confusing to do the reverse. As all three will interact. AVIA helps to adjust the individual colors. Just my own humble opinion of course. This after having spent 10 years tweaking CRT front projectors before recently getting a Benq 8700.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I've been speaking with 2-3 different sellers, and one was a 'certified' ISF (Is that the right acronym?) person, who talked about how 'important' it was to use a certified person that knows what they are doing. And he alluded to a need to calibrate a couple times a year. I understand the concept of certifications, but felt like he was trying to put a little fear factor there to get me to spend the higher fees he indicated he would be charging, and use him. At least I have a better comfort level using a regular dealer, or even purchasing one from a listing on this site (if I can get comfortable with that...)

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
With a digital projector you do not need to calibrate a couple times a year. I would steer clear of that gentleman. On purchasing, contact Jason in the above post. They are the host of this site and have great pricing.

Scott

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I was suspicious of the guy saying that I need to calibrate a couple times a year. He definitely was knowledgeable, but I was uncomfortable with him.

I will contact Jason to discuss what units they sell, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
NewGuy Question....Is it necessary to go inside the PJ to do any of this tweeking, or is it all done from the remote and menu driven? How about the warrenty?

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
To calibrate you need three things:

1. Access to the service menu and an understanding of what to adjust there.

2. Test patterns.

3. Calibration equipment

Regarding (1), you can usually get information from forums like this. You'll be looking for RGB grayscale adjustments (gains and biases) and perhaps color decoder settings. Some PJs provide this stuff in the user menu so that service menu access is not necessary.

Regarding (2), Avia Guide to Home Theater has everything you need.

Regarding (3), you can rent ColorFacts for a month for $300.00. It's very easy to use and has all the tools you'll require to properly calibrate the PJ.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I've never heard of a digital projector needing calibration more than once a year....not even more than once unless something has changed (ie. sent in for service). I think that guy is trying to make you a repeat customer. :)

As far as an ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) person, that is somewhat important. However, note that just because they have that with their name, does not mean they are qualified to work on your unit. You have to make sure that the person in question has worked with your projector before to make sure they really know what it can do. Otherwise you might find they do improve it, but not to its fullest potential.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.