AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just move into a new and i am install my old satellite dish. I don't want to spend money on hiring professional. Everything has been install except finding the signal. The only thing I have is a compass. My question is, what is the best way to find the signal? My IRD keep saying turn the satellite 3 degrees. My way of doing is every 10 second I turn the dish little by little. But I turn 180 degrees and still no signal. What did I do wrong. Can you guys help me with this. BTW, this is my first time install the satellite. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I assume you are using a single 18" dish to point at one sat. The key to get started is: 1. Make sure the pole you are mounting it on is perfectly vertical. 2. Make sure the angle of elevation is set correctly on the scale on the dish.

You are correct in waiting a few seconds between each turn of the dish. Just turn it VERY slightly each time you turn it. Am assuming there is no possible obstruction.

...mike

·
Banned
4,969 Posts
Mike is 100% correct. The most important thing is be sure the mast is perfectly level. Put a level on the front of the mast to confirm it's absolutely vertically level. Set the elevation to the tick mark on the side of your dish, not the nut. Move the dish from left to right, slowly in the southern sky.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the answer. I will try again. My elevation is 44.8 and direction is southeast 145.1 degrees in Richmond, ca. My question is, does 44.8 have to be exactly? thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,

I've done this a two times after watching a couple of professional "wahoos" attempt this with varying results. If you can borrow some walkie talkies you have a big plus. Put one person watching your TV. Get online to DirecTV and make sure you have the correct elevation and compass directions. I got a cheap protractor and put it on a level and used it to sight up in to correct angle just to get an idea of where I should point it. I locked the elevation in. Then I got the compass out and got the correct direction. I made sure that the mounting pole was vertical. I hooked up the cable and had immediate signal. Then I spent 45 minutes getting it to peak talking over the walkie talkie to my assistant.

If you aren't getting a signal after this here's what I'd do. Swap out cables. Try someone elses receiver. Try a different dish as the LNB might be bad. A leafy tree limb can degrade you signal greatly. I've had difficulties with each piece of this. Getting a very good signal is difficult. Getting a signal shouldn't be too difficult. I hope this gives you a good start.

T

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by equate
thanks for the answer. I will try again. My elevation is 44.8 and direction is southeast 145.1 degrees in Richmond, ca. My question is, does 44.8 have to be exactly? thanks again
Not "exactly" exact. Using the scale on the dish will be close enuf to start. Just rotate the dish in small increments and keep in constant contact with someone watching the TV. Use some of the free weekend minutes on your cel phone or take up a cordless phone extension. I disagree w. "Tootlet" - i think the hardest part is getting the signal. Once there, then you can slowly adjust elevation to the highest reading, then adjust the azimuth. That part should only take a few minutes.

I was in Richmond a few hours ago on this bright (cool) sunny day.

...mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it, thanks, Now, what I got is dual LNB with a 3/4 multiswitch. When I ran a system test, everything is ok. But when I did signal strength testing, at 101 degrees, my maximum strength is at 70 for both tuners at transponder 1. When I went to transponder 4, it at 87 for tuner 1 and 94 for tuner 2. How can I get transponder 1 to be little bit higher or is this ok? Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
The strength for 1 is okay, because it depends on what they are brodcasting at. Go through all of the transponders and they all should be in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by eric_m
The strength for 1 is okay, because it depends on what they are brodcasting at. Go through all of the transponders and they all should be in the same ballpark.
each of the tranponder had a different number. Tranponder 1 had 70 and transponder 2 has some different number and 4 has 87 and so on.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28 on the 101 degree satellite are spot beams and the signal strength you measure on them will not be indicative of the general aim of your dish. One to three of them will usually be stronger than the twenty-six "CONUS" beams, whereas the other spot beams will be weaker, sometimes measuring as low as zero.

It is good to set your signal test to one of the spot beam transponders that you know is used in your market to supply you with your locals when you initially try to locate the satellite, but once you have located it, you should then change the signal test transponder number to one of the other twenty-six transponders for peaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.