AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, I got the HD DTV $399 deal for $99. The receiver & dish are to arrive via FedEx today. The installation isn't scheduled until next Monday. Last night I got my Mit 65" HDTV. I want this thing going now!

I already have the oval dish on my roof. It only needs the 3rd LNB installed to be completed & then the receiver connected and activated. To this point I've installed all of my hardware myself but DTV insists that a professional do this or the warranty will be void.

Short background on local installers.... I've had these people out before when I upgraded from the round to the oval dish to receive the locals. They were at my house 3 times and could not complete the install. These people wanted me to cut down trees, drill holes in my roof..... I spoke to DTV and convinced them to let me complete the install. To this day I've have no problems.

Have any of you went ahead and installed this equipment yourself after purchasing their HD DTV $399 deal?

I want my HDTV!

Thanks.... Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I, too, got my equipment by Fedex. I already have the triple LNB with integrated multiswitch, and am receiving signal on A, B, & C. I had the installer come out anyways, as D* was paying for it.

The installer that arrived was dimmer than a 5W bulb. Didn't know the difference between a splitter and a diplexer, and ended up leaving after hijacking my OTA line - wanted me to pay him by check for running another line because D* worded my install wrong.

Bottom line - just do it yourself if you're able, at least you know it's done right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My install was scheduled for a month after i rec'd the equipment. That was no good with me, so me and a buddy installed it ourselves. it wasn't too hard and it worked fine. You need two people to do it in my opinion... one to move the dish around while the other looks at the signal strength.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also had done my previous install, but due to warranty and since it was covered I said go ahead. Well when my HD-HTL arrived a day ahead of schedule, I installed just that part to my Round Dish. Got Pic OK!

Installer came out as promised 1pm next day. Glad he did, it was to COLD for me .

I had already had the indoor work done. He just needed to replace the Round Dish with the Oval. He was supposed to run coax to new/OLD rec location. But was not on his W/O. If not approved by office they would charge $78, I asked him to just connect with my suppled RG6 & I would take care of rest. He Obliged and I was able to have D* get me 3mo Show for inconvenience. Because it should of showed on his W/O.

Very Happy

Installer had minor problem in finding correct Tilt angle. Said it was different for me than prior installs he had done.

It could just be my elevation or the fact that the new Oval dish is configured slightly different to take into consideration sat placement.

When he found sweet spot got a 100% reading on transponder 18.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.