AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Adcom GFA7000 and Sony Ep9es digital decoder. Recently baught a PS3 and want to utilize the new audio codecs as well as update my equipment. Was either going to replace separates with just receiver ($1500) range or should I keep 7000 and buy either denon 2809 w/ pre outs or even the cheaper yamaha 663 or pioneer vsx1?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As a GFA-7000 owner myself, I'd say keep it, especially given the price that it'll likely bring on the used market. Personally, I'm running an Onkyo 805 as the prepro. One of these days I'll add a pair of back surround speakers for 7.1 and use two of the 805's amps to drive them.

I'd add the Onkyo 705/805 to your short list of receiver as prepro contenders. ShopOnkyo has been having sells on refurbs recently where folks are getting the 805 for under $500. Even NIB units have been reported recently for under $600 from authorized dealers.

All that said, if the PS3 is your source, you don't absolutely need HDMI v1.3 for DD+/TrueHD/DTS-HD MA. There may be some real deals to be had on any Yamaha 661s still in the retail chain. A friend of mine and I both upgraded from Sherwood-Newcastle AVP-9080s prepros (Stereophile recommended back in their day) in the past year...he went with the 661 and felt it was an improvement in every way. He's using an older Outlaw 5-channel amp that I think has a similar sound to the 7000...probably even built by the same OEM, FWIW.

-Brent

1 - 2 of 2 Posts