AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seller was asking X amount for a projector. I emailed an offer. The seller made a counter offer. I accepted his counter offer but said I would need pictures of the tubes. Seller did not respond and re-listed the projector with a buy it now of $150 less than the amount we agreed upon. Considering the now reduced price, I thought it was worth the gamble without seeing the tubes so I decided to " buy it now".

The seller than emailed me saying that we had a deal for more than the the price he relisted and that he expects me to pay the original negotiated price which was more than the buy it now price. I told him our deal was based on me seeing and approving of the condition of the tubes and that he never emailed me pictures and that I had a right to bid and buy it at his new lower price.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
You get it at the "buy it now" price, NO QUESTIONS.

"Buy it Now" is not restricted, you had the same right to buy as anyone else.

Sounds like the seller is an IDIOT, and if he broke off emails when condition became an issue, you can bet it is burned, the seller knows it, and he was trying to rip someone off.

Publish the sellers id to protect others from him.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The seller knows you will catch him in a lie...

Troy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn2
You get it at the "buy it now" price, NO QUESTIONS.

"Buy it Now" is not restricted, you had the same right to buy as anyone else.

Sounds like the seller is an IDIOT, and if he broke off emails when condition became an issue, you can bet it is burned, the seller knows it, and he was trying to rip someone off.

Publish the sellers id to protect others from him.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. The price is now low enough that even if it has bad tubes, it's worth it. He is with in driving distance. I honestly don't think he has a clue whether or not it has good or bad tubes. I believe he thinks the lenses are the tubes.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I had a similar situation awhile back. The seller listed locally for $350 in non-working condition. I jumped on it and called to buy it. Was told they figured out how to "make it work" and now wanted $2100 for it. I said I'd think about it. I later countered with a $1900 offer, to which the seller agreed, if I came by to pick it up. I never did, as funds were tight at the time. A week later I saw the same PJ for sale on eBay and I wound up being the only bidder, at $1750. The seller was outraged, saying we had agreed on $1900.

Well, that was true, but then he listed it on eBay and it only sold for the $1750 to which I was the only bidder.

Anyway, he was pissed, I was pissed that he was pissed, and a couple days later I was toting my new $1750 PJ back home, only to discover that the tubes had burns on them. The seller had been emphatic that the tubes had no burns whatsoever.

So because of our disagreement on price, I had to threaten bad feedback to get him to refund $300 of the $1750 I paid. I mean hey, I paid that amount with the understanding that the tubes were pristine, and they were far from it.

So I forget what my point is, but take the story for what it's worth. :)

Oh yeah, my point was that if the seller is arguing with you about ebay rules, then that means he has no respect for rules. Which also means he has no respect for the customer, which.... of course means there could very well be some sort of bullcrap in store for you yet. Mine turned out to be a lie about tube condition. Hope yours isn't that bad. :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Buy it ant the higher price and go pick it up. If it's worth it even with bad tubes what's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Roth
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. The price is now low enough that even if it has bad tubes, it's worth it. He is with in driving distance. I honestly don't think he has a clue whether or not it has good or bad tubes. I believe he thinks the lenses are the tubes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raster
Buy it and go pick it up. If it's worth it even with bad tubes what's the problem?
The problem is very clearly stated in the Title of this thread. :eek:

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Yeah, he failed summer school.. again.

Back to remedial kindergarten for you.

Better pass this time, at 18 you're starting to scare the 5 year olds.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would think having an 18yr old in kindergarden would work as a motivational factor for the 5 yrs to exceed in school or this could be you in 13 yrs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
You should run, not walk away from this "deal".

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcrowe
You should run, not walk away from this "deal".
He is with in driving distance, It's a no lose situation for me. I remove the lenses before I give anyone any money. That's not the problem. The problem is he wants the original price which is more than the price I bought it at.

I haven't heard from him in a few days.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I had a strange one the other day as well. HAd an LCD set up about 6 weeks ago. Sold it, and for some reason eBay still had my old address to send the funds to in my account. Buyer sends money order to old address. It takes 6 weeks for Canada Post to send the money order back to the buyer. In the meantime I relisted the set as I thought the guy was BSing me.

I was out of town the day the auction closed, and of course the money order from bidder # 1 shows up the day that the auction closes. I email the second auction winner, and explain what happened, that I had to honor the first auction. My f/b is good, as is buyer # 2's. He rags all over me, says I'm full of it, and files a Square trade complaint. If I had a f/b of 1 or 2 I could understand. He writes a completely mis-spelled letter to Square Trade saying I'm a moron. It takes all types...:(

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
well, Have a friend buy it for you.

Quote:
He is with in driving distance, It's a no lose situation for me. I remove the lenses before I give anyone any money. That's not the problem. The problem is he wants the original price which is more than the price I bought it at.

I haven't heard from him in a few days.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Well at least you weren't the buyer of that burnt LCD panel projector..:)

Or I'd have choice words for you as well.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.