AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my trusty 3060, which I've ownd for the past 15 months, and expecting to replace it with a 4040 or a 4504 in a month or so. As my auction winds down, I'm feeling kinda anxious about not having it around anymore.

I'd really like to hear from someone who's owned both a 3000 Series model and a 4000 series...was there any functionality you lost when you moved to the 4000 series? Do you miss the 3000 series now that you no longer have it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Before we get to that, I'll tell you about seller's remorse.

4 months ago I decided to auction my 4120. I'd upgraded a 4040, but the Replay doesn't have HD so I decided to make a little money.

Auctioned it on EBay to a feller named goldfingerinpa. $950. He happily paid an extra $150 for the original disk drive and the (intact) warranty sticker. He paid by Paypal (creditcard) and I shipped.

A week later he called and asked if I'd gotten delivery confirmation, and I said no. (USPS) Next thing I knew, my Paypal balance was -$375! He'd reversed his payment!! I complained to Paypal, but they said "without Delivery Confirmation there's nothing we can do." I've mailed scores of electronics items, and 100% of them got there, especially because I mark them RMA: "147164-1".

It also recently came out in a court case that Paypal releases private customer info to authorities WITHOUT A WARRANT. To those of you who would defend this, let me remind you: THIS IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

So a cautionary note to everyone.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
No cautionary note needed, Paypal tells you over and over again to use a trackable form of shipment. It's your fault this happened, frankly. Why should Paypal believe that you shipped it when you didn't even shell out twenty cents for delivery confirmation, or better yet, $10 for UPS?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hate PayPal and their business practices...

But, how is their releasing your information unconstitutional? They're a private company and they can release their data to anyone they choose. We may not like it and it could violate their TOS (I don't know if it does), but if they violated their TOS, it would be a contractual matter. The Bill of Rights would have nothing to do with it.

--Fox

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I currently have both types of machine, but my husband has commandeered my showstopper for his crash pad (he's a pilot) so I guess this counts.

I miss my remote control :(

The showstopper remote is much easier to handle than the 4000, but you can use the showstopper remote for either unit, so you can easily fix that.

I had the showstopper in my bedroom, and now its replaced by of my 4ks, so I miss the fewer lights that the showstopper had. The light panel is so bright I have to cover it up at nights when I'm having trouble sleeping.

Other than that, I DON'T miss the loud hard drive on the showstopper. Gone is that whirr. I DON'T miss that it couldn't record while doing its nightly updated. Gone are the messages "unable to connect because replay was busy recording the other crap you asked it to get." And I certainly DON'T miss having to learn each network's commercial lengths. "OK, UPN is 4 + quick skip, CBS is 2 + Quick Skip except during the 30 minute mark of an hour length show..." etc. Commercial Advance is SO much better.

I seriously don't think you'll have any problems once you get your 4k unit. It works the same; the guide looks a bit different, there's more entries on 243 zones... Nothing really important.

I think you'll like it :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Let me get this straight.. you used a shipping method without tracking or insurance for a $1000 sale?

You are annoyed when someone who never received a shipment from you reverses the charge?

IMHO, both PayPal and your customer acted responsibly. You and possibly USPS screwed up.

Robert

BTW, The constitution limits what the government can do (supposedly). It has nothing to do with what Paypal can do. What Paypal does could be illegal, but never unconstitutional.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If the guy actually got the unit and took the money back, isn't that fraud?

As for it being his FAULT that it happened.... hardly. It's his fault for not using safeguards(tracking). It's the jerk's fault that did this to him for it happening.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignWalt
...I'd really like to hear from someone who's owned both a 3000 Series model and a 4000 series...was there any functionality you lost when you moved to the 4000 series? Do you miss the 3000 series now that you no longer have it?
Getting back to the topic... ChampaignWalt, if you are able to get one of the new units you won't look back! I keep the old ones around, but only use them when I have to.

Best of luck! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Regarding the mis-shipped 4120, if you had setup My Replay, you could see whether or not the unit is in use. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to lead to locating it... well, you might be able to correlate the channels and channel numbers to a cable system in a given town ? I haven't poked at it enough to guess.

Interestingly - there's a risk in buying a used Replay - the previous owner can interfere with your use ! Or spy on you in a very limited way.

\\chuck

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If it was shipped to his home address and it is in use according to MyReplay I think I would report the unit stolen to his local police.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just this past weekend I used my 3060 for the first time since I received my 4080's. When I started with the 4080, I didn't notice much difference in basic operation (the CA was a definite plus as was the networking and sharing between machines in my house, but as far as function I didn't notice much difference). However, this week I noticed that the 3060 is MUCH slower in response when it is recording. Since I am often watching one show while recording another, the speed increase for the 4000 series while doing two things at once is a significant advantage in basic operation.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments. Btw, I'll be sure to use UPS when I finally ship the box.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had a Showstopper and an upgraded 2010 which I gave to family and friends when I got a 4040 and 4080. THe new units are much better and faster and there are no lost features only new ones like Commerical Advance.

The one thing you may want to consider is the remote. The new one does suck. It works but feels cheap. Now this is fixed easily. You can buy an older style remote on ebay (they still work on the new ones) or you can use a universal remote. I use a Cinema7 with a JP1 connector so I can program the remote on my PC.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If the missing unit was registered with myreplaytv, you could start messing with the programming, deleting shows, adding theme recording about "the history of moss", etc. At least you can have a little fun. And I agree, report the unit stolen.

I ship every ebay sale via UPS and I suspect you will probably start doing that now too. Worth every penny. You see exactly when it was delivered.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Wow ! the Loss of your Money and your replay

unit. Your a bigger man then me. I would be

crying in my beer big time. Then do a car ride

to dudes house.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you know the serial number of the unit, you can call Replay and explain the situation. I remember reading a post several months ago where someone had a Replay stolen. They called Replay and had the unit deactivated so it wouldn't do nightly downloads - effectively making it worthless. Just a thought.

Regards

Shortman

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The remote. That's what I miss about my 3060...

Oh wait, I kept my 3060. And the spare remote I bought from someone... :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks all (except Randy and Reden, who are a55holes).

Yes, I did report it to the police, and I did report it to Replay, who (presumably) has shut it off.

Yes, it did hurt.

I have sold and shipped hundreds of items in this manner, and I have never had a problem like this. I started with EBay in 97 and Paypal in 00 (the early days). This reversal of payment policy is fairly new, and I never dreamed it was possible.

My intent here is to warn everyone about goldfingerinpa, Paypal, and shipping. Looks like I was successful.

BTW, release of customer information to the authorities without notice IS unconstitutional, and highly objectionable. I'm sorry some of you haven't seen some of the abuses this can bring.

For you, I give this:

FBI to Be Given More Scope for U.S. Surveillance
http://www.reuters.com/news_article....toryID=1029924

FBI's Carnivore - lies may have blown bin Laden inquiry
http://www.theregus.com/content/6/25083.html

In ten years, look back and remember what I said. Whoops, in ten years you'll just be wondering what went wrong.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well I thought I'd better check back with Replay just to make sure. (You know, everything these days is 'follow up, or die')

And NO they hadn't turned it off, as I'd requested 4 weeks ago. But this CSR sent an urgent message asking them again to shut off this machine.

And he also was able to tell me that my machine had not connected since I sold it, and info for the unit had not been updated. They are able to trace connections, but will only release info for a civil subpoena or a warrant.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnonymousCoward

And he also was able to tell me that my machine had not connected since I sold it, and info for the unit had not been updated.
So it's entirely possible the buyer never received it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.