AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am curious to know what gear you are likely to leave behind when selling your home with your theater.

(Note to admins: I started this thread here thinking I was going to ask about the projector piece of my puzzle but maybe this should be moved to the Home Theater building topic area?)

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I’ll go first: since I plan to move this year, and the new home doesn’t have space for a dedicated theater yet, and may not for a couple years, I’m thinking I’ll leave all my in wall speakers, the screen, seats, and most acoustic treatment, but bring the audio and video source components. And subs.

I‘m on the fence about the projector. I can very likely use it in the new place in a multi use room with a drop down screen. But our realtor thinks it might help “sell” the room. Of course picking up a used 500$ projector probably does that too. And while my trusty RS500 is not a spring chicken she still looks damn good and I can’t imagine dropping coin this year to step up to something better for a multi use room.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| DPI LED 600|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,381 Posts
I would definitely replace it with a cheaper projector. But leave enough behind that you don't need or can upgrade to your new place. I left one of my high end DLP projectors behind. The projector was $10k when new and that helped much more than a cheaper $1000 projector.

·
Registered
192 Posts
While building my basement dedicated theater I thought how it will affect selling the house, kind of silly because at our age it will most likely be a problem for descendants any day now. Nonetheless it is designed so it can be turned into a bedroom in about two days by tearing the screen wall down and putting up a closet wall although I may do the closet in an adjacent space. Perfect for a teen, the basement room ends up prewired for a motivated teens audio system (if they care about that anymore) with ground level windows for sneaking in/out (or sneaking romantic interests in/out), which I’m sure they still DO care about these days.
As far as what to leave behind, one problem is demonstrating to prospective buyers what the theater can actually do. If it’s not an impressive demo, it will hurt the sale. The second problem is the overwhelming majority of people would have no idea what to do with an incomplete theater. Even realtors could be baffled where the seller is generally not to meet the buyer, yet only the seller can demonstrate. This is a quandry for the drop-in key box showings. You don’t want anyone futzing with the equipment in your absence. It can be left running on an open house day but the realtor must understand a demonstration appointment must be made for a return visit from a prospective buyer that is truly interested. (In my 4 county area houses currently are selling anytime from pre-listing leaks to no longer than one week, but this may not last forever. The latest house on my street had 550 views and 52 saves in the first 24 hours on a RE site. It sold in one week 50% higher than I paid a year ago.)
Therefore, when selling I would leave everything intact for showing in a severely dedicated theater with a note in the listing that the (following) equipment is not included in the price but is negotiable. If it is not a severely dedicated theater, for example a tv on the wall with speakers stacked around it, I think the space should be reduced to a different primary usage (game room, rec area, bedroom) with just the basics (tv on wall, surround amp and speakers if decoratively mounted) left intact.

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points.

In my case, it is a "severely" dedicated theater.

But/and we will also be showing the house after we move out so it's not as "simple" as just leaving my gear in place, necessarily, since my general plan was to bring projector, sources, AVR, subs to the new home.....leaving screen, speakers, etc, behind.

Since we won't be in the house when it is shown, everything (usually) would be just stuff for staging....which usually wouldn't include all the gear for a working home theater....

And I do wonder whether a half assed demo with what has been left behind is worse than "no demo -- but a room that is clearly a theater without the gear" ..... which seems to be increasingly normal these days, though usually it is called a "media room" and usually it is lacking a dedicated screen etc....

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would definitely replace it with a cheaper projector. But leave enough behind that you don't need or can upgrade to your new place. I left one of my high end DLP projectors behind. The projector was $10k when new and that helped much more than a cheaper $1000 projector.
Helped just because one could say "hey this is a 10k projector"? or helped because it looked better? I mean, I would say that a $1k projector today looks better than one I spend 5k on ten years ago, for sure....

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I would think if you expect to get anything extra above and beyond what the home would typically sell for the theater would need to be intact and fully functional. It also is the class of people you may be selling to as first time buyers aren't likely to be willing to pay extra for a theater where people upgrading it might be much more appealing. So you may be better off stripping it and selling off the parts you don't need and leave it as just a spare room, removing the components you want to keep and replacing them with cheaper but functional components, or just leave it intact. But I would never just strip out what you want and leave the rest if you expect to get any gain financially from it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would Leave the Screen and the seats. I am going to keep by older projector the one I am taking down and putting it in storage now and swapping it when the time comes. All Audio gear coming with me unless they pay. I would counter their offer no matter what they offer.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Although I don't think a theater, in any form, will add much value to the home, it may affect how quickly it sells. But, I think it just comes down to who is looking and what they're looking for at the time. A fully functioning theater would most likely be an asset, unless...they have their own plans for the basement. Maybe they want a rec room for the kids, or need a suite for an in-law, or simply have no interest in a home theater(yes, there are those types of people :oops:). I think a partial theater would be a detriment, because even if they like it, they now having to worry about finishing it. Unless you happen to find another HT nut bringing all the equipment from their previous HT. Chances of that are pretty slim. I would take anything you like, anything you wouldn't replace if you didn't absolutely have to. Then replace with some used gear. Maybe an old old JVC or Epson for the pj, a couple of Monoprice $100 subs, and the cheapest receiever and disc player you can find. I'd say there's a 1 in 100 chance any potential buyer would have any idea it could be better than that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When we moved from our last house our theater literally sold our house. Yes you have to get someone who actually wants a theater, but it took about two months on the market and this was in 2009, not the best time to sell a house, and our home was sold. For reference the house across from us with the same floorplan was on the market 6 months before ours and still hadn't sold when we left.

Our realtor told us we had to remove the theater otherwise the prospective buyers would want to keep everything. I did not agree and told her that we would sell them the equipment if they so desired, but other than that it was going with us.

They bought all of our equipment, seats, etc. For the same price we paid for them so it worked out just fine.

If/when we move from our current home it will be the same deal as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
Although I don't think a theater, in any form, will add much value to the home, it may affect how quickly it sells. But, I think it just comes down to who is looking and what they're looking for at the time. A fully functioning theater would most likely be an asset, unless...they have their own plans for the basement.
I think the size of the house comes into play. After x square footage typically a well designed theater room will become (pretty much) expected.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| DPI LED 600|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,381 Posts
Helped just because one could say "hey this is a 10k projector"? or helped because it looked better? I mean, I would say that a $1k projector today looks better than one I spend 5k on ten years ago, for sure....
A $10k can be a better selling point than a $1k projector today. Also, I always have an older higher end DLP in my theater room. Currently, I have a Runco Q750 and a Digital Projection M-Vision 260HB. They are much better than the current $1000 projectors IMO. I even use my Runco q750 more than my jvc rs2000. I did just remove my Digital Projection projector out of my living room to pair a Hitachi LED projector.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
If I sell my house, I will sell it with a set up theater, but the equipment will not be what I have in it right now. I doubt anyone will pay me what it is worth, so I will substitute cheaper components in place of my current stuff. I have 13 amps and run 3-way active LCR's. I just doubt a buyer would understand just how much money is actually in my system, in my small room. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am curious to know what gear you are likely to leave behind when selling your home with your theater.
Depends on the buyer and what they want placed into the contract. They could want nothing at all, if they don't want a theater. Just leave it as is, and tell your realtor to exclude the PJ when the contract is drawn up. In this market, no one is going to walk away because you want to retain your PJ.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We are selling our home with the theater intact. I haven’t done any upgrades since we built it out 9 years ago. The 1080 Epson PJ, Oppo BDP-93 and the Anthem AVR are long in the tooth. The JTR speakers and Seaton Submersives still kick butt. Overall it presents very well and we already have 3 buyers prepping bids with only one of them having seen the place and no formal listing. I’m hoping the theater experience sparks a bidding war. Pretty much we priced in what I thought it was all worth into the asking price. It’s a dedicated soundproofed room that would be hard to use for anything else. But even without the theater we have a pretty desirable home given the current market.

As a buyer I’d hate to acquire a half assed stripped down theater room. Either leave a blank slate room and hope for an enthusiast to see the home, or leave it complete so the buyer can enjoy a turnkey theater that they can upgrade as desired.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We are selling our home with the theater intact. I haven’t done any upgrades since we built it out 9 years ago. The 1080 Epson PJ, Oppo BDP-93 and the Anthem AVR are long in the tooth. The JTR speakers and Seaton Submersives still kick butt. Overall it presents very well and we already have 3 buyers prepping bids with only one of them having seen the place and no formal listing. I’m hoping the theater experience sparks a bidding war. Pretty much we priced in what I thought it was all worth into the asking price. It’s a dedicated soundproofed room that would be hard to use for anything else. But even without the theater we have a pretty desirable home given the current market.

As a buyer I’d hate to acquire a half assed stripped down theater room. Either leave a blank slate room and hope for an enthusiast to see the home, or leave it complete so the buyer can enjoy a turnkey theater that they can upgrade as desired.
Agreed. Plus, buyers may not know they want a theater until they (and the kids) see a first class demonstration, since most people have never seen one. If they have never seen one they wouldn’t be thinking of one or even know they exist. Until they see it operating the top things on their minds will be size of cooktop, age of roof etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We will be selling our current home after we purchase our new one...just being patient and waiting for the model we like! After talking with my realtor we will MOST CERTAINLY leave the HT fully intact as he thinks it will bring more money than taking it with us. I have no problems leaving it as it will allow me to purchase more up to date equipment! It’s the patience thing that is tough to conquer...I am ready to go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts