AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally upgrading my TV, and going with the 63" samsung 3D.

Thus I need HDMI 1.4. I've only had my Denon AVR-4810ci for 6 months, but unfortunately it doesn't have 1.4 for 3D, and I really want to do all the video switching on the receiver.

I have a 7.1 system in the living room, and 2 outdoor speakers I'd like to power as well for listening to music outside.

So should I get the AVR-4311 or AVR-3311?

Would really love your help here.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
93,301 Posts
Rethink using the AVR to do all the switching as all you really need is an HDMI 1.4 BDP with dual HDMI outputs and then run the cable/sat box directly to the TV with optical to the AVR.

Otherwise the 3311 is only 7.2 so you would have to either give up your rear surrounds or add an external amp to power your Zone 2 speakers. The 4311 is 9.2 so you'd be okay there and would upgrade to the latest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, but still ... rethink keeping the 4810.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19547620

Rethink using the AVR to do all the switching as all you really need is an HDMI 1.4 BDP with dual HDMI outputs and then run the cable/sat box directly to the TV with optical to the AVR.

Otherwise the 3311 is only 7.2 so you would have to either give up your rear surrounds or add an external amp to power your Zone 2 speakers. The 4311 is 9.2 so you'd be okay there and would upgrade to the latest version of Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, but still ... rethink keeping the 4810.

Absolutely you got a beast of a receiver why downgrade, have some patience and wait for the Oppo BDP-93 it has those dual HDMI outputs, 3D etc....should be out real soon...of course you could also go 7.1 analogue or maybe both depending on what your needs are

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of switching because I didn't want to have to run 2 HDMI cables thru the wall behind the fireplace. 1 for the 3D bluray, 1 from the Receiver (which would have my appletv and directv receiver hooked up to it). Ideally I'd have everything connected to the receiver with 1 cable to the TV.

Also this allows me to not have to switch inputs on the TV when switching from 1 device to the other. It's more of a WAF ease of use if my wife or babysitter, guest etc, doesn't have to also switch inputs on the TV to watch a DVD.

It's a tough call though as you guys are right, I love the 4810, just so bummed it doesn't have 1.4. I figure I'd sell the 4810ci for $1,850? (how much should I sell it for? how much can I get?) And then get the 4311 then for about the same price online

The price difference also saves me from having to buy the nicer bluray player that has dual HDMI. I was going to get the Samsung PN63C8000 which comes with a free 3D Bluray player. I think some retailers I can upgrade to the BD-7900 which has the dual HDMI.

But I have a question, if I do dual HDMI from a player like BD-7900, and it send the audio thru 1 hdmi cable, and picture to the other, is there enough bandwidth on the video HDMI to still use the receiver that's HDMI 1.3? So I still can't run everything thru the receiver? Or does 3D HDTV still require a direct connect from the bluray player with HDMI 1.4?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
93,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky /forum/post/19548751

I was thinking of switching because I didn't want to have to run 2 HDMI cables thru the wall behind the fireplace.

Also this allows me to not have to switch inputs on the TV when switching from 1 device to the other. It's more of a WAF ease of use if my wife or babysitter, guest etc, doesn't have to also switch inputs on the TV to watch a DVD.

But I have a question, if I do dual HDMI from a player like BD-7900, and it send the audio thru 1 hdmi cable, and picture to the other, is there enough bandwidth on the video HDMI to still use the receiver that's HDMI 1.3? So I still can't run everything thru the receiver? Or does 3D HDTV still require a direct connect from the bluray player with HDMI 1.4?

Keep the 4810. I don't know what's involved in running two cables "behind the fireplace" but if it's doable, then consider doing it. The WAF/babysitter issue can be eased by getting a Harmony (or other universal) remote (eg. Harmoney ONE ... on sale at Amazon now).

A BDP with dual HDMI outputs is designed specifically to send HDMI 1.4 video out one and audio to the HDMI 1.3 AVR, so yes, plenty of bandwidth. In fact Samsung makes such a dual HDMI BDP (BD-C7900), although the better choice would likely be the Oppo 93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky /forum/post/19548785

one more question, is there a big difference between the 4810ci and 4311ci ? I' running only 7.1 on www.roundsound.com Anthony Gallo A'diva for the rears and sides, and the strada's for the center and front's.

The 4810 has better components, but the 4311 has the latest and greatest Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 with SubEQ.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just did some research and it seems with DirecTV 3D I also need 1.4 or direct connecting to the TV. This might put me over as now i have to run 3 cables thru the wall and switch inputs on the TV in each case.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would also vote to keep the 4810. Much better Build Quality and stronger Amplifier Stage. Shame it appears that the 4311 will be the Flagship of the current AVR's with no plans for a 4811 or 5311.

AD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts