AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Ok, I have been away from the forum scene for about 3 years, and I am looking for some help. Due to a room re-design I no longer have room for my loved SVS subs (Ultra PB13 and NSD12/plus2). not sure if I am selling or mothballing for later use...depends on what I could sell them for.

I am looking for the best sub I can get in a small package...about half the size of the PB13 would be the most I can get away with. (NWAF).

Open to any brands...and budget is 2K max

I already have a Velodyne SMS1 controller and I will be keeping that to control the new sub and for expansion someday when we move into a bigger home and build a dedicated HT room (and back to my SVS 's)

current room size...16x23 with two open area's heading upstair then into kitchen...I used both SVS's at about 30-40% volume and that was where I was happiest. movies only...not used for music much at all

thank you all

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Is 19" cubed too big? If not, at slightly over your budget, you could look at ULS-15 Dual Drive from Hsu. Probably the closest you will get to the peformance of your SVSes.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Elemental Designs A7s-650 will have a small footprint while preserving a similar output level as the SVS subs you have. If you are handy at woodworking skills, they also have a kit form of that you can build yourself, for much cheaper.
is a video[/URL] of it in action. Here is a thread with some pics of a A7s-650 kit that a guy finished in a piano gloss, that is a gorgeous subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Given the WAF constraint, I'd probably second the ULS-15 over the CS18.1 personally.

Even smaller may be the soon to be released SVS SB13 if you're a fan of that ...

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb13plus.cfm

I think the nod in performance will still go to the ULS-15 by a slight margin though, so you're getting much more "bang for your buck" with the ULS, plus the fact that it comes with a "wireless connection", i.e., no RCA cable needed, just a power cord, makes it that much more WAF friendly...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the most I could sell considering the WAF is 12" cubed...or close to it.

The Velodyne minivee seems to be the correct size I am looking for...but know nothing of its capabilities

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

That is small. I got nothing.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 /forum/post/19604048

I think the most I could sell considering the WAF is 12" cubed...or close to it.

The Velodyne minivee seems to be the correct size I am looking for...but know nothing of its capabilities

While the Minivee is a nice small sub (I owned the VMS-8 which is the same sub)... it's only an 8" and is just not enough for that big of a room IMO.

Here's a review of the Chrysalis Photon-8, which is identical to the Velodyne VMS-8. The VMS-8 was confirmed by a Velodyne rep in the owner's thread here at AVS to be the same sub as the Minivee (same driver, amp, performance), differing only in cabinet aesthetics.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...8-measurements

Really, your asking alot of any sub in that size range for that room size. Any chance you can use 2 of them??

Some small subs I can think of:

SVS SB12-NSD - 14" cube

Elemental Designs A32-250 - 13.5" cube (website specs are wrong... I have one and it measures 13.5", not 14.25" cube)

Emotiva Ultra-12 - 14.5" x 14.5" x 15.5"

Emotiva Ultra-10 - 12.5" x 12.5" x 13.5"

Velodyne Minivee-10 = Crysalis Photon 10 = Outlaw ESC-10

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd probably go with the eD A32-250 or Emotiva 10. Another option is the Aperion 8D which is expensive for what you get, but pretty and small.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
using two is out of the question....

my ONLY option other than divorce is to maybe talk her into keeping the Ultra PB13 if in fact there is no smaller alternative in my price range that would require me to run it hot all the time.

I got her to agree on 15" cubed now...or thereabouts...that may help. But maybe selling the 12/2 and keeping the PB13 is the best option.

are the larger velodynes comparable or would the ED, HSU's and SVS smaller subs be a better bet...

ugh,,,help me

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You got to keep the wife happy. Velodyne has great subs, but not at the price value of ID. The problem with going smaller is that it will bother you after a short period reminissing of what it was. If you can keep the PB going that may be your best bet. Put it in the corner with a dozen roses on top with a nice note to the wife.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
you could score a jl f112 (or a used f113) in that budget range...

high WAF... right size... really nice sub...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Gotta keep the Ultra 13 man. That is an awesome sub.

Heres some ideas. Find something to cover it up. A blanket, afgan, curtain, something. Get a piece of cut glass the same size and make it look like an end table. You know those furniture/fabric/craft stores we hate going into? Go into a couple, get some ideas.

I'd paint my subs pink before I would let them go!!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I'd second a used JL Fathom F113. They are in the stated price range, have a very nice finish, are pretty small and have great SQ and pretty darn good output. It'll blow a Minivee out of the water (not saying much) and should trump the ULS-15. Ed Mullen from SVS also said their new SB13-Plus will not have the same output as the F113.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts