1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Selling New York"

Premieres Thursday, March 18 at 9:00 PM ET/PT, 8:00 PM CT
Quote:
Weekly series will give viewers a glimpse inside the competitive NYC real estate market where luxurious Manhattan properties are bought and sold.
http://www.cablemediasales.com/pages...&id=hgtv_19330
http://www.tvmole.com/2010/02/greenl...new-york-hgtv/

The producers have decided to shoot this on Sony PDW-800 & PDW-700 XDCAM HD cameras (which the 800 is the same model used on CBS' 60 Minutes) but this HGTV show is shot 1080/24p with 1/48th shutter speed which emulates what scripted narrative projects shoot at when using these cameras too.

Sure HGTV HD is a 1080i HD channel but the show is originating in a cinematic frame rate/shutter speed so it should help it look unlike newsy video & documentaries.

It is shot all handheld or on tripod with a moving fluid head like Law & Order does.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspaz /forum/post/18219525

"Selling New York"

http://www.cablemediasales.com/pages...&id=hgtv_19330
http://www.tvmole.com/2010/02/greenl...new-york-hgtv/

The producers have decided to shoot this on Sony PDW-800 & PDW-700 XDCAM HD cameras (which the 800 is the same model used on CBS' 60 Minutes) but this HGTV show is shot 1080/24p with 1/48th shutter speed which emulates what scripted narrative projects shoot at when using these cameras too.

Sure HGTV HD is a 1080i HD channel but the show is originating in a cinematic frame rate/shutter speed so it should help it look unlike newsy video & documentaries.

It is shot all handheld or on tripod with a moving fluid head like Law & Order does.

They shot it at 1080p24 for a TV show on HGTV? Why? They must plan to release it on Blu-ray (or perhaps re-license it in Europe/Asia for 1080i50). That's he only reason I can think of to do something so crazy for a reality show.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Film Grain Allowed - Artistic Intent Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/18222607

They shot it at 1080p24 for a TV show on HGTV? Why?

To give it a sense of slightly more luxurious dreamy look I was told. Artistic Intent.

Hey it just removes it slightly from the documentary-video-look of 60i or 50i.

The very slight motion blur or 1/48th versus 1/60th shutter speed also gives it that look we all know from so many narrative episodic shows that are from digital acquisition now at that same frame rate & shutter speed.

It's nice having the option to shoot 24p/30p/60i in the US & 25P/50i in the traditional PAL countries.

Sure this show could have done 60i or 30p and those are 'looks'. Survivor at 30p / 1/60th shutter speed in HD is a look.

A TV show shooting always on 500 ISO (grainy) Super16 film like "Friday Night Lights" is a look for Artistic Intent.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
What do they use for House Hunters?

Looking forward to Selling New York. Maybe they will show some night skyline shots, which some of these luxury properties will have.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Selling New York"

30 minutes TV-G
Quote:
"The Big Event" - A lush Park Avenue apartment goes on the market following a couple's divorce in the premiere of this series following Manhattan real-estate agents. Also: A broker takes a prospective client to a fashion show and plans a cocktail party.

If I remember right the pilot was shot slightly differently than the rest of the series. Not sure if this is the pilot or if they won't be airing that.

I think for the pilot they didn't do any on-location "on the fly" interviews (which they eventually started doing) since there is no on-camera host.

It should be the same shooting style though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts