AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Sony UTV's and I am going to be selling them. Is there a market for these units? I normally do my selling on eBay, if I sell them there should I include the cards? If anyone out there has sold their UTV's let me know your experiences, Thanks!

R

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have sold a couple of them on Ebay, you should expect to get around $200 for them. The deal on the cards is.

1. They can't use them, because when you call to sign up, DTV will send them new ones.

2. If you include them, you might get more. But it would be the cards that would have the higher value than the UTV.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've sold 2 on ebay. One went for $260.50, the other for $256. Both sold without the cards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I called DTV and they said the new owner would have to purchase cards. But your right, I assumed people would want the cards for hacking purposes... so I guess I would include the cards if it would bring more money. Just as long as the next person wouldn't take the cards and somehow charge pay per views to me :eek: !

R

·
Registered
19 Posts
They could never do that. You have turned off the cards so they will no longer receive a subscription. If DTV ever says anything to you, just show them that you sold your UTV's and cards on Ebay, so keep a screen shot of the auction along with a copy of the form of payment received from the buyer. Since Ebay and DTV are in bed, they will know excatly who you are when you setup an auction, and they will know who bought the unit. Oh and Paypal is also open to DTV because of the merger of Paypal and Ebay.

I would go ahead and include the cards. I saw one system selling for over $300 last weekend. The cards have a lot of value (I'm not sure how much value the P4 cards have) and since you can't use them you might as well sell them.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I sold mine last night on ebay. It was an RCA unit and I got $250 for it. I included a brand new unused (not replacement) P4 card with it. This unit was an RMA sent to me by DirecTV.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,874 Posts
I just sold 2 UTV's on ebay. The first 1 has only 1 tuner working and I didn't include the hard drive - sold for $107.50. The other is functioning perfectly and includes the original hard drive - sold for $270. I have another pair (1 with 1 tuner working, 1 working perfectly) to sell once the new Tivo's arrive in the Boston area.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I almost kept my UTV, but I just couldnt fork out $10 more every month.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I just received my new P4 cards sent to replace my old cards and seeing how crazy it is on Ebay for this kind of stuff it is tempting to sell off my old cards. But, I guess it is not worth taking the chance of getting in trouble.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I sold just a plain old RCA 420RE w/P3 and got about $80 (I included shipping) and the receiver was described as having problems. I was worried the buyer might have second thoughts upon reciept, but he was very pleased!

Go figure.

Of course, one thing the 420 is gread for is Replay TV so maybe he figured it worth it not to have a contract?

I'm not asking, but I'm kinda confused why a hacker would bother with modifying the P3 cards when they will soon all be dead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.