AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've lurked this forum for almost a year now, and have used big help to get going. Thank you all.

I have an issue that i think is new, or perhaps I haven't been as good as i had thought at researching it. Anyhow, I have a Phillips 55PP9701 that I bought at the good old yellow tag. It was being sold open box because the first purchasers had refused it upon delivery as it was unsatisfactory to their liking, ate up the apartment. I wound up getting the service plan, they marked down the set so it was no more than the tag price to get the plan. Well, imagine my surprise (if you can imagine zero, you'll be fine) when the promised convergence setting was refused by the 'service' plan. I knew going in this was a long shot, so don't take this for complaining about bestbuy. I had figured I'd be doing this myself, as an isf calibration is not an option.

'Why?'

I'm broke, man. This TV ate my big spending right up. I'm a freelance web designer, and things are OK to live, but my disposable income is disposed of.

So I need to get the template. I know the part number, but Philips has told me to get stuffed. Anyone have a connection i could exploit? I could do a trade with a Minneapolis area technician who needs a website or a flash animation or any old multimedia thing.

But that's where its at. If anyone could help me out, I'd be greatly pleased.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Are you sure you need the convergence template? I have one (for the 4x3 Philips set) and have found out that it's only useful if you're going to center the green gun which involves opening up the set, reaching way inside and installing a jumper on one of the circuit boards and then doing the alignment via trim pots or something.

When I put up the template to do the service mode green alignment, I found out that the green gun was so far out of alignment that I was unsure of which way I was supposed to move it to get it to line up with the grid. I eventually figured out the correct direction but was unable to get all of the grid points lined up with the grid because the misaligment of the green gun. I believe that Philips has misaligned the green gun for a reason other people have reported a similar problem. This may be why Philips doesn't want to sell the grids anymore. I've decided that I don't want to mess with centering the green gun. I've gone back to the factory default green grid because it's pretty good, just offcenter from the template.

You can make your own template by copying the green grid pattern spacing. I don't think even that is worth the trouble because you can eyeball pretty closely when you have a decent geometry. In fact, you can't get a perfect geometry, even with the template. The most important thing is that the red and blue guns are aligned with the green. This, of course, doesn't need a template.

Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, no. I'm not certain I need the philips template. I guess i just need a method for which to know all my green lines are straight. I don't care if they match a 'template'. I just need a method to make all my lines straght and in proper porportion. When i get the defaults, my lines are all akimbo. They're bent and round. Perhaps i'm not doing the right method of retrieving the factory settings, but Even with all the points matching, i still have noticable curves and crooked lines. Is there some step I'm missing as far as setting the green lines back to basic?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.