AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I'm hoping to be a new plasma owner soon and had one question that I'd like to pose to the tech savy...

I know I should take my set out of torch mode, use the break DVD, and avoid static images (especially at first), but I'm wondering about burn-in issues comparatively speaking.

Is the potential problem of burn in about the same as you'd have with a crt? More of an issue? Less of an issue?

I know there are phosphers involved in both, and just kind of wondered because I've never had a problem with this owning multiple CRT's in the past, but do game.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read much of what you suggested previously, but still am left with the question of what is more suseptible to burn-in: crt or plasma.

That really was the point of my post if I didn't make it clear.

Just wondering techinically and for comparison sake.

Thanks.

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stewart /forum/post/0

I have read much of what you suggested previously, but still am left with the question of what is more suseptible to burn-in: crt or plasma.

That really was the point of my post if I didn't make it clear.

Just wondering techinically and for comparison sake.

Thanks.

Let me preface that statement based on 2 years on gaming on a 27" crt with zero image retention and burn in, with no break in process. That was what the TV was origianlly purchased for, gaming.

Now proper care and break in can definitely mitigate IR and Burn in on plasma, but almost no one here would say "Doesn't matter what your settings are, just start gaming for hours on end on your new plamsa". Caution seems to nearly always prevent problems, but those are cautions most never do on crt's.

My point is I realize from a technlogical stand point crt's are susceptible as well, but in my brief experience, I would say considerably easier to burn in on plasma than a crt.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
The order of susceptibility to burn-in, from most likely to least likely, is as follows:

Plasma

CRT-based RPTVs

Direct View TVs

LCD-based RPTVs (can encounter greyscale degredation under severe service)

DLP--based RPTVs (non susceptible at all)

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
I have a 50PX50U with about 2000 hours of service and no visible evidence of image retention. I basically followed the manufacturers break in guidelines as specified in this white paper:

Plasma Facts and Myths Panasonic Presents Advice From the Video Purist Perspective

I'm a firm believer the risk of burn in diminishes over time... but no matter how many hours of operation a PDP has it is always susceptible to uneven phosphor wear (e.g. from black bars), which is cumulative and results with brighter/darker portions of the display (side bars from 4:3 content or top/bottom bars when the OAR is > 1.85:1).

The bottom line is don't be paranoid about the possibility of burn in or uneven phosphor wear but vary your viewing habits and display full screen content whenever possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.