AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 analog cards and 1 Fusion 5 HDTV card?

I really like the 90nm Socket 754 2800+ because I'm able to run it fanless right now and the heatsink only gets warm to the touch when viewing a DVD or watching TV off the single PVR-150. HW monitor reports the CPU at 45 deg C under this type of loading. Anyhow, I would like to add another analog tuner plus the HD card. I do not plan on using ffdshow, but I do plan on recording HD feeds. My video card is a lowly fanless FX5200. I really like my machine setup right now, cause it's nearly silent, with only 1 big 120mm system fan running (+ the PSU fan). However, I would really like HD plus the ability to record one cable channel while watching another...does that mean I'd have to upgrade to a heat generating Athlon64?

Thanks for your input.

BTW, I would rather not upgrade to a Socket 939 MB just for a 90nm Athlon64...more money, plus I've finally got my current MB working with all the features I want.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 754 pin motherboards/cpus are dead. If you invest it it now you are not going to have an upgrade path. I'd go 939, even if it costs a hundred or so more, just on upgradability alone.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by antishock
The 754 pin motherboards/cpus are dead. If you invest it it now you are not going to have an upgrade path. I'd go 939, even if it costs a hundred or so more, just on upgradability alone.
Well, it's not really "investing" in Socket 754 as I already have it (have had it for a year now). I actually prefer the Sempron for its low power consumption and low heat generation. Additionally, I don't plan on upgrading until I upgrade my plasma...basically...at least 5 more years. By then, Socket 939 will also be obsolete :D

In any event, I guess my real question is whether or not I should add the second analog tuner and the HD card. I don't plan on changing my mobo/cpu config because I like the sound of silence.

·
Registered
153 Posts
939 generates less heat then 754. But since you have the board already it doesn't make sense to change over.

Your CPU is fine for a software HD encoding card, but your GPU is lacking alot. I reccomend a fanless 6600. Its quiet and while it does put out a non negligable amount of heat, it has enough oomph to do almost anything.

Another hardware analog tuner will have negligable impact on your CPU, so its a definite go.

I would watch out for trying to capture from all three devices and playback of something already recorded at once if you only have one harddisk. That much data might cause problems with throughput.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by antishock
939 generates less heat then 754. But since you have the board already it doesn't make sense to change over.

Your CPU is fine for a software HD encoding card, but your GPU is lacking alot. I reccomend a fanless 6600. Its quiet and while it does put out a non negligable amount of heat, it has enough oomph to do almost anything.

Another hardware analog tuner will have negligable impact on your CPU, so its a definite go.

I would watch out for trying to capture from all three devices and playback of something already recorded at once if you only have one harddisk. That much data might cause problems with throughput.
Thanks for the help antishock. In all likelihood, I would most likely never record on all 3 and view a prerecorded one. The two analog tuners are for situations when I'm watching an NBA game on TNT and recording ESPN on the other tuner.

Yup, I know my video card was lacking a bit, thus I feared I would be exerting my Sempron 2800+ too much. But it looks like if worse comes to worse, I'll just upgrade to a 6600 fanless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.