AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I sent a letter to Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum asking for his support in the defeat of the SSSC when it comes to the floor for a vote. Here's his response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Security Systems Standards and Certification Act. I appreciate hearing from you and having the benefit of your views.

As you may know, Senator Ernest Hollings of South Carolina is expected to introduce the Security Systems Standards and Certification Act. The draft of this legislation would make it illegal to manufacture computer equipment that is not installed with copy protection approved by the U.S. Commerce Department. In addition, anyone who distributes copyrighted material that has had its protections disabled could be fined. If this measure is introduced by Senator Hollings, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance with this or any other matter, please feel free to call on me again.

Pretty noncommital, huh? Do we have another one in bed with Fritz and Mike and Jack?

More letters to your senators, please. And especially this guy if you're a Pennsylvanian.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Both the Senate and the House use the same mind numbing computer generated phrases for replying to their subjects. None of these *******s will commit until the money is in place...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It seems reasonable for them to be noncommittal until the bill has been introduced and the arguments on both sides have been heard. The assumption that they are just waiting for the check to clear may be accurate, but it's not an absolute certainty.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
At least he has his staff reply to messages.

I sent a message voicing my concern to my senator (Dianne Feinstein) and received no response of any kind.

Looks like I'll be voting Republican for the first time next election.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'd say it was more than noncommital. It could have equally well been a

reply to an "I love SSSC" letter just as a "I hate SSSC" letter. This is only

one step above a general letter that has nothing to do with the point

whatever. My guess is they are saving paper and staff time by sending

everyone this letter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I received a response from GA 6th District Rep Johnny Isakson. The email unfortunately got accidentally deleted and I can't recall the specifics, but it indicated clearly that Rep. Isakson was in favor of the Hollings legislation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.