AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my current setup. I have an HDTV in my living room that receives an OTA DTV/ATSC signal from the antenna on my roof, using the built-in DTV tuner on said HDTV. I also have a blu-ray media player that connects to the same TV via HDMI.

I also have a small old tube-based television in the kitchen, that also receives the DTV signal over coax (which is split with a Y over where it comes in at the living-room HDTV) that connects into a DTV box in the kitchen beside the old TV which then outputs via composite (yellow) video and analog audio L/R (white/red.)

- - -

What I'd like to know is if there exists some sort of signal transmission system that would consist of two boxes; one box would be the transmitter, which would take an input coax for the DTV/ATSC signal (with optionally a coax output/pass-thru that I could run to the HDTV in place of the Y coupling I'm using now), as well as an HDMI input and outputs (the output so the blu-ray can pass-thru to the HDTV.)

From there I'd want it to send the ATSC and HDMI output over another coax which is going to the kitchen TV, where a second box would receive and interpret this special (perhaps compressed?) digital signal, with a coax out for the ATSC to be connected to the set-top DTV tuner that's currently there. This box would also have to be able to accept the composite video and analog audio out from that set-top DTV tuner and finally output either analog composite and audio to the TV (and maybe also HDMI out for if this TV ever dies and has to be replaced with a small HDTV in the future, as a bonus.) It would obvious need some sort of buttons on the unit to switch between the incoming HDMI signal from the blu-ray and the output from the DTV tuner.

Thanks for any advise.

-szr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can be somewhat flexible with my budget. I'd like to keep it under $100 (USD) if possible, but if this will be more costly, I'm still willing to consider the available options.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Only viable solution under $100 will be a used Blu-ray player with composite output to connect to the old TV directly...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1520669/send-atsc-dtv-plus-hdmi-signal-combined-over-coax#post_24431232

Only viable solution under $100 will be a used Blu-ray player with composite output to connect to the old TV directly...
You miss understand. I already have a blu-ray player. I just want to mirror it to my kitchen TV, as well as also send the ATSC (OTA DTV) signal over there. I know I've seen something like this before but I can't seem to find the right terms to Google, Amazon, etc.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by szr8  /t/1520669/send-atsc-dtv-plus-hdmi-signal-combined-over-coax#post_24431688

You miss understand. I already have a blu-ray player. I just want to mirror it to my kitchen TV, as well as also send the ATSC (OTA DTV) signal over there. I know I've seen something like this before but I can't seem to find the right terms to Google, Amazon, etc.

No, I got it - you're just not going to like any of the solutions, either from usability or cost...

You could take the composite output of your existing BD player and connect it to a frequency-agile NTSC RF modulator (ChannelPlus or similar) that could be picked up by the kitchen TV's tuner, and then switch between that and the composite output of the DTV tuner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.