Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an RPTC 5040 and 5080. Unfortunately I get horrible stutter when trying to watch remote shows, so I wanted to just send shows from one rptv to the other to see if that would work. However, the units, though they can show me each others' programming, can't find each other when trying to add to the address book. I have the router configured for each one, with the IP address, ports.

Any advice how to send the shows from one to the other?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
IVS is down and is expected to be so until 9/30. See myreplaytv.com for the webpage with the date (as both are on the same server). Even for sending to/from your two machines in house, the IVS server needs to be up.

(And, what does 'RPTC' mean, exactly? The usual usage is RTV (ReplayTV).)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
BTW, if you have network issues, you may not have any better luck moving a show via IVS. Tell us more about your home network, and perhaps we can fix it. That's the simpler way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

meant RPTV, guess RTV is fine with me too, sorry.

I have a network everywhere wireless router, connected to cable, then have two linksys wireless bridges on the back of the RTV's. I can't get a booster for the router, have to get a linksys for that functionality. I think the boosted signal would work, I think the stutter is just because of weak signal. I have a three story, and the router is about as far from one of the RTV's as possible, get about 20-40% signal strength at best. It's b protocol.

Didn't realize it had to go to one of their servers like that, interesting.

Thanks,

-mat

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Hm, didn't know you were wireless, that does create problems for some. You can search here for people using your equiment and see if anyone has the same. Yeah, 801.11b is marginal for streaming for some quality, and especially for large distances! What 'quality' are you streaming? High is very hard for wireless, medium easier to accomplish.

For IVS, it doesn't 'go' to the server, but you have to contact the server to get the IP address that matches the Internet ID (RTV IVS) you give it. After that, it's RTV RTV directly. But, I still don't know if that will help based on your wireless problems. :)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
RPTV is rear projection TV, so to avoid the confusion... it's best to stay away from that.

The other thing lee didn't tell you was your router must support loopback to do IVS locally.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Oops, yeah, I thought perhaps it had been working before, but if this was the first attempt,, yep, you need to have one that does what Jeff says because you are really sending the show to your router and back in, not 'totally' directly RTVRTV (since all they know is that it's supposed to go to the IP address of the router).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Good point in RPTV, I have my RTV hooked up to my RPTV :) Anyway, I have a network everywhere router, and am basically a lazy user. I hooked it up, it worked for computer, got one RTV, got the wireless bridge, RTV connected easily, got another RTV because they were cheap (in my book), hooked that up with the wireless bridge, that worked, and both units saw each other, and then I went to show my wife how cool this all was, and there was the stutter. And the question.. "so *why* did you need another unit?". Ummm, errr....

So, I hope to try with a linksys router with b (bridges are for b only I think), and a booster (and WPA), (network everywhere doesn't have booster capability, nor does it support WPA actually, just found that out).

I am hoping the booster works, because everyone has told me that 11mps is plenty fast enough to send the shows across (even the people at linksys).

Thanks for all the advice here though, I'll see about loopback, I had no idea what that was, have to go check it out.

-mat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Well, I tried to get this to work, but with no success. So, I instead hard wired three outlets in the house, and now I have all that I wanted :)

One thing I found puzzling, was that even at full strength wireless signal, the RTV's couldn't display shows from the other without massive skips. I got a linksys router, a booster, and had two wireless bridges. Tested signal strength was excellent all over the house. Still, no luck with the remote show watching.

Also, couldn't figure out how to do the loopback, but I had decided to hard wire first, so I never invested more than 5 minutes to that.

Thanks for the help here though,

-mat

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Mat... so it's unclear... did you get loopback to work (ie: send shows from one to the other)... or I guess you don't care anymore because you can always stream now...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm using a Dlink wireless router (with both RTV's hardwired) and can get them to send (IVS) from one to the other. I never let it finish so I don't know how long it will take, but it does work.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got IVS sharing working between my two ReplayTV 5040's yesterday.

1 of them is on the first floor and is connected wirelessly.

I first tried 802.11b for wireless transfer to DVArchive. That was to slow

I never did streaming from 1 replaytv to the other over 802.11b.

I then tried several different 802.11g products and had no luck increasing

the kbs until I tried 2 LinkSys WAP54G access points. Both of them set

up as wireless bridges, one of them plugged into the router in the computer room and one of them connected to the replaytv in the downstairs bedroom. It worked great . The speeds were comparable

to an all wired solution.

That is when I tried to stream a show to/from the replaytv located up stairs in the computer room. That worked perfectly as well.

So my point is if you want to stream video wirelessly, use 2 WAP54G's in

bridge mode, do not use a WAP54G and a LinkSys WET54G bridge because the speed was pitiful and the WET54G cost more than a WAP54G.

Now on IVS connectivity , it was a little tricky and it did not help with the

server being down for 5 days. But I simply gave each of my ReplayTV there on static IP address and differrent port number, and using a LinkSys 8 port router forwared the port of the bedroom replay unit to it's IP address, and then forwared the port of the computer room replay unit to it's IP address.

Entered the required info into the send show fields and bang hand shake

was done at the server and it only took 30 min to send 1 30 min show from 1 replaytv to the other.

The transfer will take place at the speed of your lan if it is internal to your

network. To bad we have to go thru the IVS server at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Received Show Category:

I have finally been able to send a show from one ReplayTV

to another one. But I noticed that it is in a category called

Received show, is there anyway to move it to a different

category like say TV-Shows or SCIFI ?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Highlight the channel, click select, look at your options.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

I never did get the loopback to work, no (don't even see how I could do it in the manual). I am curious to try to send one show between the devices as an exercise, but since I can perfectly stream shows from one to the other, it is somewhat a moot point. And since I don't know any other people (besides those in these forums ;-) I have never had an opportunity to send a show at all.

I will try some of the suggestions with the port forwarding and see how it goes, though I can't say it is a high priority. I do need to understand the networking better, that's clear.

Thanks for the tips,

-mat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.