AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, everyone knows there is the cool feature send to VCR.

It using the IR to control it and everything.

Has anyone found a DVD Recorder that works? This way I can just says send to VCR but it will really be going to a DVD?

Thanks,

T

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'll add another question to this: Given that it works (and I see no reason why it shouldn't) will the space used on the DVD for an hour show be the same or dependent upon the (std, med, high) quality recorded on the ReplayTV?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a Terapin VCD recorder that I used to do this with.

The main problems with doing it were:

1. I had to do it in real time. A two hour movie takes two hours to record.

2. I had to watch when the CD was getting full, pause the play, put another CD in and continue from there.

In the end, I found it easier to just copy the shows over to my computer with DVArchive and copy the resulting files to CD or DVD.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Also, how much (if any) degradation will I see vs burning the same show from the MPG2 file (using the various PC/Mac programs mentioned in other threads)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I can't really be the judge of that. I don't have a high quality television set. I'm sure that taking an analog signal from the cable company, converting it to digital in the ReplayTV unit, then converting that back to analog again to the DVD recorder, then digitizing THAT again on the DVD will build up to something less than perfect. But I just couldn't tell you. On my crappy TV set I couldn't see any difference.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
An associate of mine has experienced similar dissapointments to those expressed by Wrecks in trying to create DVDs from an RTV-5k to the Pioneer Elite DVD-R unit (I can't recall the model #, has a built in Tivo if that helps to ID it -- and, no he's not paying Tivo a single penny - free svc only). But, since he's about as computer literate as an eggplant, thereby ruling out DVArchive et. al., he's managed to get some form of a solution that works for him in that regard. The only comment that I could pass along from him is "Record in High Quality on the ReplayTV 5000 and don't skimp on the cost of the S-vid cable from Replay to DVD-R" Keeping those in mind, he's accepting, abet not extatic, of the resulting DVD-R's and how they look on his Vidikron (sic?) projector (old model - predating progressive inputs by many years - but a Barco at heart none the less...).

I dunnno, I'm just passing along comments... But the video-out to DVD-R versus computer extract & burned has been beat to death here so many times it's almost pathetic. Search around a bit, you'll find a mountain of info from people that have forgotten more about video standards and quality etc. then the rest of us (myself included) collectively know. searching around for "VCD recorder" might help with some answers for the quality questions you posed also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.