AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts
Very exciting and emotional documentary, highly recommended.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts
I have been waiting for this for a very long time.

A big F1 for the last 15 years.


Senna died before my interest in the sport began, but his ghost still looms large to this day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20820878


I have been waiting for this for a very long time.

A big F1 for the last 15 years.


Senna died before my interest in the sport began, but his ghost still looms large to this day.

I'm sure you will find this film very enjoyable. I've never been a hugh F1 fan but I was completely drawn into this movie and the life of Ayrton Senna. He was an amazing and talented driver.


Speaking of talented drivers and if you like racing films check out the documentary " Racing Dreams ". A feature documentary following three young racers as they compete in the World Karting Association's National Pavement Series.


Especially noteworthy is the young female driver, Annabeth Barnes who could possible be the first female driver to ever win the Daytona 500. She is only 16 years old and has all ready won 17 championships.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/20821205


Speaking of talented drivers and if you like racing films check out the documentary " Racing Dreams ". A feature documentary following three young racers as they compete in the World Karting Association's National Pavement Series.


Especially noteworthy is the young female driver, Annabeth Barnes who could possible be the first female driver to ever win the Daytona 500. She is only 16 years old and has all ready won 17 championships.

Thank you for that link!


I was ignorant of this stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
I would love to see this. Senna was the best driver of his time, although i rooted for Alain Prost against him. F1 is incredible to follow, i love it, and this looks very interesting, thanks for posting.


I saw an interesting thing on tv awhile ago about how the accident that he died in happened. This show claimed that he was driving into a turn, started to lose it a little, and just as he turned his wheels in the opposite direction to correct the problem the car went over a teenie bump and was off the ground for a split second. When the car landed, the wheels were facing the wrong way due to him trying to correct for the potential spin, and with the downforce and grip of the car the car shot off in the direction that the front wheels were facing the moment the car hit the ground and put him right into the wall. True or not i dont know, but they explained it in really great detail and it sounded right.


This might be a stupid question, but i see people here talking about documentaries, well where do you see these when they come out? I never see them listed at the movie theaters near me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman /forum/post/20823125


I saw an interesting thing on tv awhile ago about how the accident that he died in happened. This show claimed that he was driving into a turn, started to lose it a little, and just as he turned his wheels in the opposite direction to correct the problem the car went over a teenie bump and was off the ground for a split second. When the car landed, the wheels were facing the wrong way due to him trying to correct for the potential spin, and with the downforce and grip of the car the car shot off in the direction that the front wheels were facing the moment the car hit the ground and put him right into the wall. True or not i dont know, but they explained it in really great detail and it sounded right.

I don't really know the exact cause, but I do know his death led to several changes in car safety and design.

Chief among them is the front wheel/suspension assembly is now tethered to the car with a cable.

Reason being a front suspension piece whipped around to Senna's cockpit and went thru his helmet and head, killing him instantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,500 Posts
I saw him race live at the inaugural opening of the raceway in Budapest [Hungarian Grand Prix], when I was a kid in '86, I think he was still with Lotus at the time. I did like him but always favored Nigel Mansell. Senna followed another Brazilian's footsteps in F1, Emerson Fittipaldi, who was very popular in Europe in the 70's. Sadly I lost interest of F1 after I moved to the US, and haven't kept up with current drivers. Nevertheless this docu will be making it into my rig soon as it is released in disc format. Thanks for posting this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I have been watching F1 since I was a child. My dad always had it on so early on I knew all the drivers, teams, etc. In the '80s and '90s when I was a teen / early twenties, Ayrton Senna was hands down my favorite driver. He was awesome to watch. The only other driver who came close (for me) was Schumacher.


I remember May 1, 1994 like it was yesterday. I was devastated. Just thinking about this now as I write is making me a little emotional. My interest in Senna has led me to travel to Sao Paulo, Brazil and Imola, Italy. I have been waiting for this movie for a long, long time. I'll be seeing it next week when it opens in the Bay Area. I'm pretty sure I will cry like a little girl. I can't wait.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV /forum/post/20834430


I have been watching F1 since I was a child. My dad always had it on so early on I knew all the drivers, teams, etc. In the '80s and '90s when I was a teen / early twenties, Ayrton Senna was hands down my favorite driver. He was awesome to watch. The only other driver who came close (for me) was Schumacher.


I remember May 1, 1994 like it was yesterday. I was devastated. Just thinking about this now as I write is making me a little emotional. My interest in Senna has led me to travel to Sao Paulo, Brazil and Imola, Italy. I have been waiting for this movie for a long, long time. I'll be seeing it next week when it opens in the Bay Area. I'm pretty sure I will cry like a little girl. I can't wait.

WOW, thanx for sharing some personal perspective.


Please post your take on Senna after you have seen it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Biggest debut of a documentary this year:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/box..._indie_debuts/

Released via the Producers Distribution Agency (the company’s second release after forming for “Exit Through the Gift Shop”), the film scored $73,497 from its 2 theaters ($40,713 in LA and $32,784 in NY), according to final numbers. That gave it a fantastic average of $36,749 (well above its estimated $33,038).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I finally saw this movie Thursday night with my wife. WOW!! What a great movie. Although I already knew the whole story going in, I was still hooked from the first few frames. Lot's of details were revealed that I was not aware of, so that definitely kept it interesting, as well.


Although this movie is a documentary, it plays out much like an action movie. The movie is composed entirely of archival footage and the occasional voice-over. The fact that the filmmaker was able to be this creative without ever lifting a camera is a testament to his skills.


The movie chronicles Senna's entry into F1 in 1984, his rise to greatness including his three world championships and bitter rivalry with Alain Prost, and climaxes with the tragic event of May 1, 1994. The drama is extremely compelling. As I predicted, by the end I was in tears (as was my wife).


My only complaint about the movie is that it seemed too short. The amount of on-track footage showing Senna's brilliance behind the wheel was not what I thought it would be. I could have easily watched another hour of just that. But this is coming from a die-hard fan, so I understand that approach may not have as much mass appeal. I will definitely be picking this up on Blu-ray. Hopefully it will include the extended version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,139 Posts
I am about to watch the F1 Grand Prix of Belgium, and i really have the hots for seeing this Senna documentary, looks great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
Awesome doc. I've followed his career all the way to the end and this is a fitting tribute. They neglected to mention in the doc. that he was one of the highest paid athlete in his time. On his death he had close to half a billion dollars. It looks like his nephew Bruno is on the fast track to follow in his footsteps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts
Racing is a VERY VERY dangerous "sport."


Today's cars are seemingly invulnerable, but tragedies DO happen and probably always will.


250 MPH can kill in a heartbeat...
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top