AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1989 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ambeo is a name not just for the Soundbar, but also their headphones and other equipment. if I understand correctly, it really represents another object oriented system like Atmos or DTS X, that also strives to place sounds anywhere in the room. Additionally it presumably can accept Atmos and DTS X, and output it as Ambeo.

You're right in that AMBEO is a brand. Just like ATMOS does cinema, home, headphones, VR, and mobile technologies,

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/ambeo-blueprints

AMBEO does 9.1 for speakers, Binaural, and VR.

You're incorrect in that it's object oriented. It's just channel-based 9.1h like Auro3D. This is disappointing because you get the flaws of 5.1, and owners of non-height systems will get no benefit unlike DTSX&Atmos with 7.1 bases.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I am hearing now is that it may not hit this year and be more polished and finalized at next year's CES 2019 in January. Considering there are no promos of it being forthcoming from Sennheiser or any news for updates than what was already known, I would say it's a good bet.

For now, the Creative soundbar is the absolute best you can get, but it costs as much as many spend on their 65 inch OLED. I'm still guessing the Sennheiser will be around $2,999 when shipped.

You still have the Samsung N950 coming soon but it will NOT support Dolby Vision due to Samsung not being in their format camp just like their TVs. It gets automatically ruled out for me due to this being a must have.
Dang, it’s going to be quite the wait but on the positive side, that should hopefully mean that all HDMI ports will be full 2.1. I’m hesitant to buy a $2000+ system without the latest standards as with the N950 not having DV. I do not have a DV TV now but I might in another couple years...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah! They're still not giving anything away re specs etc. though. I contacted them yesterday and the polite but brief reply confirmed what we already know; that there is no detail (other than that on the web-site) available at this time but it will be released for sale early 2019. So I would expect more info at CES.
I was particularly interested to know (among other things) if it would include HDMI eArc (as the latest Bose soundbars have).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah! They're still not giving anything away re specs etc. though. I contacted them yesterday and the polite but brief reply confirmed what we already know; that there is no detail (other than that on the web-site) available at this time but it will be released for sale early 2019. So I would expect more info at CES.
I was particularly interested to know (among other things) if it would include HDMI eArc (as the latest Bose soundbars have).
This has already been discussed before as I posted several months ago. They basically told their reps the same thing and if you check out my prior posts they even stated before early Summer it would be after the CES 2019. What they said back then is they were still finalizing the parts and design, as the one that had been shown was a prototype and would be more polished on release. Still, nothing specific on specs, HDR supported formats, number of HDMI inputs, eARC ports, etc. but I think they will have that ready around the time for CES 2019. If it's still nothing concrete at the show, then I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This has already been discussed before as I posted several months ago. They basically told their reps the same thing and if you check out my prior posts they even stated before early Summer it would be after the CES 2019. What they said back then is they were still finalizing the parts and design, as the one that had been shown was a prototype and would be more polished on release. Still, nothing specific on specs, HDR supported formats, number of HDMI inputs, eARC ports, etc. but I think they will have that ready around the time for CES 2019. If it's still nothing concrete at the show, then I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
Of course you did, and well done for that & for pointing it out. But all the same, I still took the trouble to contact Sennheiser to see if perhaps there had been a change in policy on releasing info. and thought I would share. Isn't that what these forums are for?
Have.A.Nice.Day.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
First look from Digital Trends...

$2,500...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yamaha already proved that that market is niche and doesn't really work, Seinheiser is treading thin ice with this soundbar

Sure in theory it looks good, but the price is too high and because it doesn't include satelite speakers it once again relies on a perfect room setup (4 walls, nice flat non absorbing ceiling and walls), sitting in the center of the room and no obstacles such as furniture to block sound - just to get the intended sound effects

Then you also have no sub either

To be honest I'd rather have a conventional atmos soundbar system where you have rears and its own sub, I have a room where there is furniture against walls and I don't sit in the middle of my room - the surround sound effects would just get blocked and not sound right

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yamaha already proved that that market is niche and doesn't really work, Seinheiser is treading thin ice with this soundbar

Sure in theory it looks good, but the price is too high and because it doesn't include satelite speakers it once again relies on a perfect room setup (4 walls, nice flat non absorbing ceiling and walls), sitting in the center of the room and no obstacles such as furniture to block sound - just to get the intended sound effects

To be honest I'd rather have a conventional atmos soundbar system where you have rears and its own sub, I have a room where there is furniture against walls and I don't sit in the middle of my room - the surround sound effects would just get blocked and not sound right
Keep in mind the Creative Labs soundbar is about twice that price, so at least it should drive down the cost a little there. Since no one has heard the final product in person yet, except some of the early versions of the final product, it will be nice to hear it once it hits the market next year. Basically though, I'm inclined to agree with your feelings on this due to the reasons you point out. However, they could in theory expand it to include an external sub and surrounds at additional cost. At the very least, it will be fun to compare it to the Creative Labs soundbar even though the market is limited at that price point.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

You haven't even heard it yet...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I haven't been able to find any dimensions I'm sure that they aren't out but a long shot anyone here happen to know height width etc? Also I'm really excited for this sound bar it could be pretty impressive eagerly awaiting the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I called Sennheiser, and no information is available except for the fact that its projected availability will be early 2019, as opposed to the original projection of late 2018

·
Registered
348 Posts
I called Sennheiser, and no information is available except for the fact that its projected availability will be early 2019, as opposed to the original projection of late 2018

Man that's to bad they wouldn't at least give dimensions I can't imagine those will change anymore

·
Registered
265 Posts
They're not going to because it's officially unofficial. Meaning that until there is a more certain release date anything and everything can happen. It "should" be released sometime after CES next year and have it on display at CES 2019. But until then, it's still a prototype or vaporware and nothing is final.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't been able to find any dimensions I'm sure that they aren't out but a long shot anyone here happen to know height width etc? Also I'm really excited for this sound bar it could be pretty impressive eagerly awaiting the reviews.

It is however safe to assume it will be BIG, because it doesn't use surround satellites and tries to do everything is one

·
Registered
348 Posts
It is however safe to assume it will be BIG, because it doesn't use surround satellites and tries to do everything is one

Yea I'm planning on that, I just recently heard about this and if it does all of that well enough I think it'll be worth it

41 - 60 of 1989 Posts