AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster in this thread, so please be gentle.

After years of using my beloved Grado SR60's (and Ety ER-6i for portable use), I wanted something a bit "more". After some diligent research, and testing out various brands and types (including "Brand B"'s NC's), I pretty much settled on Sennheiser due to their outstanding reputation in quality, performance and customer support. I also narrowed it down to open air cans as long term comfort is critical. Closed ear headphones left my ears gasping for air and relief from eardrum pressure.

So I journeyed to World of Sound in Mill Valley, CA, where they were kind enough to let me demo their full line of Sennheiser headphones for as long as I wanted. I came armed only with my iPhone and Headroom's Total Airhead amp.

I had several to choose from and tried to keep myself "blinded" as to which model number I was testing so as not to be influenced by price. I wanted to go no higher, $$ wise, than the 650's. I quickly eliminated the lower priced phones (no surprise here) as they all paled in comparison to the HD 650.

I had all but settled on the 650, but there was one left to compare - the cheaper (by $100) HD 600. I thought... let's be thorough, so I gave them a shot. Since the Total Airhead has two outputs, it was easy and fast to A/B the two.

Much to my surprise, I liked the 600's better. I realize a lot of this is personal taste, but I found them to be sharper and more "clear" in the high end - they just sounded crisper. Bass wise, I could tell the 650 was a tad lower and more controlled, but I do like just a bit of "thumpy", so perhaps this is why I gravitated to the 600. Saving $100 was a bonus, but I would have happily paid the extra for the 650 if I thought they sounded better.

I also realize that Senn cans have a tendency to "hold back" some, which can be overcome by upgrading to the Cardas cable (which, btw, I have ordered for the 600's). But all other things being equal - was I imagining things?

I'm curious - any of you who have or extensively listened to both the 600's and 650's - how would you compare the two?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've only heard (and own) the HD600 so I'll just add observations about them. In my experience the little Airhead amp (I own one) just does not do them justice. I find that any of my receivers will drive them decently but it's a struggle for the portable. As for the sound I find the HD600 very detailed to the point of being unforgiving of bad recordings. Where I find them a bit lacking is deep bass punch. I love the HD600s for classical but always liked the Grado sr325 for rock.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree re: bass, but then I am always bumping up the bass (EQ). I like things just a tad thumpy, and even the 650's seem to lack bass. Personal preference, nothing I can do about it.

re: Amps - the Total Airhead just barely got things loud enough with the high gain activated. I do need a better solution for my desktop. I am trying to keep this total headphone purchase to ~$1000. With the 600's and Cardas, I have around $400 left.

Can anyone recommend a decent headphone amp for around $400? I have read some good reviews for the Matrix-M, but the only place I have seen it for sale is on eBay from China. I am a bit hesitant to go that route. Any others?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Just curious but I have the 595, how did they compair to the 600 and 650? I didn't have the ability to compair them since I had to order online.

What were you mainly focusing on? The instrauments or vocals? I find some speakers/earphones sound clear and sharp with instrauments, but then sometime the vocals can sound a little empty...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19598615

I'd ask on a headphone forum like Headfi and headcase.

I looked over their amp section. I settled on the FiiO E7 and E9 combo. The E7 is a standalone portable amp with DAC, similar to Headroom's Total Bithead (only cheaper!). The E9 has just been released - it's a standalone amp with a docking station for the E7. Used together, the E7 becomes the DAC. It looks really cool, is a bargain at $230 total, and has gotten great reviews on Head-fi. Best of all, it's available from Amazon Prime - free shipping!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 /forum/post/19600215

Just curious but I have the 595, how did they compair to the 600 and 650? I didn't have the ability to compair them since I had to order online.

What were you mainly focusing on? The instrauments or vocals? I find some speakers/earphones sound clear and sharp with instrauments, but then sometime the vocals can sound a little empty...

The 595 was one of the first I checked out. I'd say it's a terrific bargain. It didn't have the bass or range of the 600 or 650, but then those are quite a bit more expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts