AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to pair the Sennheiser RS 175 with a Yamaha RX-A1030. I want to connect to the RS 175's digital optical input. Tried connecting from the A1030's digital optical output...no sound. Connected from the A1030's hdmi secondary output, ran that to an hdmi to spdif converter, then to the RS 175's digital optical input...still no sound. The RS 175's manual states that it can only handle PCM audio. I think that either of the connections that I made should have worked, so I think my problem may be that I can't seem to figure out how to output the audio of the A1030 in PCM format. Any advice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Peter,

I ended up connecting the transmitter to the optical audio out from my Blu ray player, rather than fiddling around with the options on my receiver (I only have the Blu ray player hooked up to the receiver so no need to make my life more complicated than strictly necessary), *but* I did check this with Yamaha beforehand as I do occasionally want to connect other devices. I have a far older receiver than you, but perhaps the same applies. The tech rep said that the first step would be to check the audio output format on the device hooked up to the receiver, i.e. in my case I needed to make sure that the audio being output from the Blu ray player was set to PCM. However, he wasn't sure that even this would guarantee I could then plug the transmitter into the receiver for digital audio (I gather it's not a given using an HDMI connection - not sure whether this means you might also need to connect your devices to the receiver using optical cables). As I said, in the end I didn't bother, but I can see why you would want to link the phones to the receiver if you have more than one device attached...

Good luck and it would be great if you could post the solution here once you have it.

All best,

almoganga

1 - 2 of 2 Posts