AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. A pair that can be used with my 2 channel receiver and my ipod. I'm either considering the Bose Triport OE, Sennhieser hd555, Sennhieser hd595 or Sony mdrv-900. Out of these three which would be the one to go with?

Even though I'm not a Bose fan I did like the Triport OE.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0329 /forum/post/0

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. A pair that can be used with my 2 channel receiver and my ipod. I'm either considering the Bose Triport OE, Sennhieser hd555, Sennhieser hd595 or Sony mdrv-900. Out of these three which would be the one to go with?

Even though I'm not a Bose fan I did like the Triport OE.

I would ask this question over here www.headfi.com

But if it was me I'd go with the Senn HD595's You should be able to get the HD600's for a good price also.

www.headphone.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also, be sure to check out amazon for a good deal on the HD-580. They're now 125 with free shipping. The best deal one could ask for on a pair of nice headphones. Unless, of course, you got the (now) sold out akg k501's for 100 shipped (which I did)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I would check with Headphone.com before you purchase. They do offer lower prices then what is shown if you call. Atleast they have in the past.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another good brand to try out is Beyerdynamic, specifically the dt770 pro. They come in two flavors 80ohm and 250 ohm, and for what you want to do, the 80ohm would work for you as they do not require a seperate headphone amp. They are very comfortable and durable. My second choice would be the senn hd-580 - 600 range.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
HD580 is a bargain for its sound quality and its $125 price. This used by be Sennheiser's top of the line dynamic headphone before they tweaked it (mainly different grille) and introduced it as the HD600. Now the HD650 is the top of the line but many people prefer the HD600 still. However, note that these are pretty inefficient phones with high impedance, so some people say it won't sound as good without a headphone amp (out of an iPod)

I don't think many people think too highly of the Bose Triports or the Sony V900 (the V6 is still the gold standard among Sony phones).

Grado is another brand to consider. I personally think their quality control is pitiful (they look like they were assembled by high school students, poor quality molding, big gobs of glue, uneven paint on lettering etc), and they sound too bright.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truss64130 /forum/post/0

Another good brand to try out is Beyerdynamic, specifically the dt770 pro. They come in two flavors 80ohm and 250 ohm, and for what you want to do, the 80ohm would work for you as they do not require a seperate headphone amp. They are very comfortable and durable. My second choice would be the senn hd-580 - 600 range.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 are an excellect set of cans.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good advice - check headfi.com - great forum for headphones. I was looking at the same headphones about a year ago. My only choice locally was the Bose Triport. I picked up a pair - man was I disappointed - in fact I was sick (almost mad) that I spent that much money for headphones that was so cheaply made & sounded terrible. I returned them the next day. I considered the hd595 but I ended up getting the hd555 from an internet site. I found the HD555 to sound good (for the price) and very please with the quality & comfort. But... there is also a but, if I was doing it again I would spend more and step up a level or two. The HD580 at Amazon looks like a great price for not a whole lot more. When you consider headphones will last many years they are a bargain - great "bang for the buck". Do some searches about the different headphones and how hard they are to drive (ipod) you may need an amp with some of them.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a set of Senn 595s and really enjoy them. I mainly use them for watching movies, but they do very well with music as well. Also, I heard of a lot of folks using them for gaming. They're kind of a swiss army knife of headphones that do everything well. My buddy tried them on once and said, "It feels like I have a couch on my head", in terms of comfort. And, they are very easy to drive.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV /forum/post/0

I have a set of Senn 595s and really enjoy them. I mainly use them for watching movies, but they do very well with music as well. Also, I heard of a lot of folks using them for gaming. They're kind of a swiss army knife of headphones that do everything well. My buddy tried them on once and said, "It feels like I have a couch on my head", in terms of comfort.

Meaning what... they're big and uncomfortable, like the weight of a couch on your head? Or comfortable, as in couches being associated with the word comfortable?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
i have the 580 and they sound great thru the integra but

the ipod can not drive them i use the senn px100 and

the ultimate ears super fi 5 pro for portable. if you are

going to use big cans for portables ray samuels hornet

is the size of a credit card and will drive almost any headphone.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever /forum/post/0

Meaning what... they're big and uncomfortable, like the weight of a couch on your head? Or comfortable, as in couches being associated with the word comfortable?

Big and comfortable. They're light, despite their size. I got a pair of Senns based on comfort. I wear glasses, so small headphones press the ear onto the glasses frame and into my skull and after time it inevitably gets uncomfortable. The senns, being so large, go around the entire ear and are much more comfortable. That's why I chose the senns despite liking the grado sound better, it was mainly a comfort consideration. I have the 590s.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you get the Sennheiser 580, 600, or 650 - it is absolutely essential that you get a good headphone amp. Two that I've used with good success are the Corda Aria (~$400) and the MG Heat DT (tube, around $300 when i bought it)

With no amp, these senns will sound dull and lifeless. When properly setup, they sound better than my $20k stereo easily. Best $350 i ever spent - Sennheiser 650.

·
Registered
RX-681 > Wharf Evo "5" MShort "1"
331 Posts
The short answer is that the Senns are MUCH better than the Bose - even without getting into the whole "Bose sucks" thing.

Senns are comfy and most like their sound. I find them very boring (HD595/600/650) personally but I like/own Grados which are about as diametrically opposed as you can get. The HD6x0 series are often considered reference grade.

I'd also suggest looking at AKG K601 or K701 - the K701s are REAL reference-grade cans IMO (and a lot of others) - I almost chose those over my Grado SR-325i as I felt they were very similar sonically and the AKGs are world's more comfy. I chose the Grado over AKG as I felt the AKGs were a little more laid back and had a bit less bass range - Grado's offer very, very good bass.

www.headfi-org is where it is at.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.