AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a build thread for my SEOS left and right mains and a inwall with matching components.

my plan is to use the 2 cft. flat-packs for the main. same enclosure and ports as the Tempest with cut-out for the TD12.

im powering them just with my 100 watt per channel (yeah right) Marantz receiver. but will purchase a couple ep2000's soon.

EDIT: i edited this post to reflect my final decisions

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I wavered back and forth between the 15m and 15x. If you plan on running these ported, and possibly without a sub for music, I'd recommend the X.

If you are going to be using these with the subs and/or crossed at 80 hz the M would be the better fit.

When I modeled the 15m in ported mode, it only took about 150 watts to push them past xmax with a 50hz tune.

John also mentioned the M is a better sounding driver (how much so I'm not sure) due to the different surround material.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751  /t/1469004/seos-12-dna-360-td12m-build#post_23222808

i was also contemplating going with the BMS 4550. not sure if there is a xover done with the td12m and the 4550 yet though
There will be a design available in the not so distant future. I am waiting on the 4550s to arrive. When they do I plan on contacting someone to do the design/build for the crossover. It will be posted for anyone that wants to copy it. Build will be the 3 port Tempest with TD12M & 4550 as the CD. I am using the 2 cu ft flatpacks also.

Chris W

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Brian,

I will have 2 4550's available from my current build if you need a pair. I ordered a couple extra just in case.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV  /t/1469004/seos-12-dna-360-td12m-build/0_100#post_23222879

There will be a design available in the not so distant future. I am waiting on the 4550s to arrive. When they do I plan on contacting someone to do the design/build for the crossover. It will be posted for anyone that wants to copy it. Build will be the 3 port Tempest with TD12M & 4550 as the CD. I am using the 2 cu ft flatpacks also.

Chris W

is your name "wagnerwv" on the DIY site? did you hear anything about the baffles yet? i haven't gotten a response email yet.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751  /t/1469004/seos-12-dna-360-td12m-build#post_23222903

is your name "wagnerwv" on the DIY site? did you hear anything about the baffles yet? i haven't gotten a response email yet.
Yes that's me.

I have not heard from him since Monday but it does take sometime to get the custom baffles cut. I am waiting to get all the parts in hand before I start. It is less frustrating that way.

AVS has taught me more about patience than audio.

Chris W

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV  /t/1469004/seos-12-dna-360-td12m-build/0_80#post_23222957

AVS has taught me more about patience than audio.

Chris W

You obviously have been visiting a different AVS site than I have.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1469004/seos-12-dna-360-td12m-build/0_100#post_23222968

i understand the waiting. i appreciate everything Erich does. its pretty remarkable. i just get worried that my messages aren't even getting to him is all.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1469004/seos-12-dna-360-td12m-build#post_23222968

Reality is I feel like you did 3 weeks ago but I am trying my best to relax, take deep breaths, and type out the word patience b/c I wish I had some.

Chris W

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Brian

At first I ordered the X model but changed it to the M since I am crossing over at 80hz and don't need anything lower. I too am under the impression that the M series has a little better SQ over the X but X has the extension if its needed.

Chris W

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, im set on the M as well and ill order them this weekend.

now the 4550 vs. 360 --

ive read there may be no difference in sound between these two. there is also a xover for the TD12M and 360 already designed soooooooo. im wondering how long it will take to get a TD12M/4550 xover made.

decisions. decisions......

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I weighed that as well. I almost went with the TD12m/SEOS12/360 route as it had a xover already designed. Seeing as I needed a xover for some other speakers as well; I decided to bite the bullet and go with the 4550's.

I wouldn't put all of my stock in the initial impressions between the 4550 and 360. I would like to see how the 4550 integrates with the AE woofers compared to the 360. We might all be surprised, or we might be back to the initial impressions of splitting hairs.

Reactions: hardvark

·
Registered
683 Posts
I really thought long and hard about going with the bms 4550 and selling my 360's, but Erich convinced me there would not be that much difference between the two.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
I too am curious as to how the DNA-360 would compare to try BMS-4550. I have read others say that they "thought" they sound very close, but I have yet to come across anyone who has done a side by side comparison. Brian6751 we are hoping that you can post your subjective opinions soon!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Erich told me on April 8 that he previously put the custom baffles order in at the CNC shop, and that he had expected them finished by then, but that they have been dragging their feet. My deduction was that his landscaping business (his primary income) has started to get busy and he doesn't have a whole lot of time to follow up with the CNC company to discuss logistics.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll wait to hear from him. It will be a while before the x over is done anyway. But if its going to be crazy long, I'll just take the blank baffles and make my own cuts. Not that big of a deal. I was just trying to go easy as possible on this build.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just hate working with MDF. The dust wrecks me, no matter what I do. But, precut baffles are awesome because the routing work is the toughest to get just right. Hell, I've even been thinking about buying the flat packs, then trying my hand at veneering everything but the baffle.

Of course, I also have considered doing something completely different from the typical rectangular box design...

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.