AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after building four 15" sealed DIY subwoofers earlier this year, I have the DIY bug again (shocking, I know)....

Here is what I currently have in my 32'x19x8' basement (that actually opens to a couple of small hallways and another good size room):

3 times Deftech UIW RLS II in-wall speakers behind a 125" diagonal SeymourAV screen. These are my mains, and they look like this:

And here is a pic of the room (the Hsu VTF-15H in the front corner has been sold):
http://s254.photobucket.com/user/ack_bak/media/DSCF0920_zpsca1628a0.jpg.html

Let me just say, I am actually quite happy with the Deftech speakers. I auditioned lots of in-wall speaker and for the money (I paid about $1200 for all three) I think they sound good. But hey, I am curious about the SEOS speakers and would love to give it a shot. Perhaps build one and see how it sounds vs the Deftech's? I am not worried about cutting holes in drywall and patching.. I can do that

So here are some questions I have:

- I am thinking about modeling my in-wall speaker using something like the Fusion 12 Tempest kit or maybe the 10. Here is my question, is it as simple as modifying the box to ensure I still get the recommended enclosure volume? So in my case longer vs deeper?

- Crossover.. Okay, I am really intimidated here. I am handy with woodworking and having some basic wiring skills, but the crossover portion intimidates me. With these kits, I see they ship you the crossover parts but do they ship instructions on how to assemble the crossover that a novice could follow?

- How directional do the left and right speakers need to be? I sit in the sweet spot with the center channel but should I design my in-walls to slightly toe in? My current speakers do not, and they sound just fine to me and measure pretty well.

I have not seen many in-wall SEOS builds. I do remember coming across a TuxedoCivic in-wall build but wanted to get some ideas specific to the topic and not pollute the other threads, since not many people build in-walls. Mine has to be in-wall. No flexibility there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Part of why I went with a 10" is because of depth. You'll want some clearance around the pole vent.

The cross over does change a little bit, but might be able to "fix" things with eq if you didn't use an in wall specific design. Afaik, mine is the only in wall specific design done for the SEOS. Not sure how they would stack up to the deaf techs, but they'd be about $250 each in parts.

I think Eyleron was going to build a set, not sure if he ever finished or what.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1469319/seos-in-wall-speaker-idea-thread#post_23229724

Part of why I went with a 10" is because of depth. You'll want some clearance around the pole vent.

The cross over does change a little bit, but might be able to "fix" things with eq if you didn't use an in wall specific design. Afaik, mine is the only in wall specific design done for the SEOS. Not sure how they would stack up to the deaf techs, but they'd be about $250 each in parts.

I think Eyleron was going to build a set, not sure if he ever finished or what.

I think a 10" would be fine since I have 4 15" subs and plan on crossing over at 80hz for the sub.

Is the info about your in-wall posted at AVS, or perhaps another forum where I can learn more? Also, did you build the crossover specific for these speakers? LOL, I was in an Airborne army unit at one point in my life but I think the crossover intimidates me more than being stationed near the DMZ in Korea!

That said, I am willing to learn if people don't mind lots of questions...

Thanks for your response!

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
im thinking of doing a semi inwall version of a TD12M/4550. the driver is a hair more than 6.5" deep with a tiny hole vent. im wondering if i could get away with a box 8.5" deep and make up for it by making it a bit taller. then i could recess it into the wall and only have to bump the AT screen out about 6-7". you think this would require a different cross over?

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Hmm. I'm really just trying to keep my screen as far back from the viewing position as possible. I'm actually at 9.5' now. Moving out a foot would be 8.5'. I'm afraid that will be too close to my AT screen. I guess I'll find out. Seymour says 8' is the minimum they recommend but it differs from viewer to viewer.......

You see something like a AE TD12 and 4550 inwall in the future?

Might just try your out anyway.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Sounds like the exact situation I had. Backing up your screen lets you go bigger and the weave won't be as noticeable either.

I won't be designing around those drivers unless they were lent to me I could do it. But I'm in Canada. Someone will probably work with them in a boxed speaker. You could talk with them about it. But using the same cross over isn't really maximizing what can be done, and with those drivers you'll want the max performance possible.

If you'd like to try my in wall speaker send me a pm. I plan to try out the 360 sometime soon. A little push and ill try and fit it in sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1469319/seos-in-wall-speaker-idea-thread#post_23229979

We don't mind lots of questions.

Here's some details. http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.0

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Okay some questions. If I went with same build as yours (SEOS 12, Eminence 10" woofer, Denovo 350 compression driver) but I wanted to add an mdf box to the in-wall speaker, do you think I can make this work considering I have about 5" depth to play with in the wall? I was thinking 1/2" MDF for the back of the box? I really want a sealed box. That said, would your crossover you designed still work with this solution (enclosed box) or would the crossover need to be modified?

Your link was quite helpful. I am intrigued...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts