AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start building a new house and have a question. Actually I'll probably have dozens, but at the moment I am wondering how people handle the following scenario.

My house will be a two story home with a basement. The 2nd floor will not have anything other than Cat 5 and satellite. I am planning on distributed audio on the main level of the house. There will be several TV's on the main level including a modest 5.1 system in the den. Downstairs in the basement is where the major movie and TV watching will take place. The TV will be much larger and the audio equipment will be of higher quality. I'm imagining that the basement system will be a separate home theater system.

The audio on the main level will originate from the whole house audio system (yet to be chosen).

My question is this: how are people handling a situation where they want the same audio source playing on speakers on both the main as well as the basement? I suppose I was seeing these two systems as not connected.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If you're planning on whole-house audio, put the wire in place for the whole house, including the second floor. Better still, make sure you have a conduit pathway from the attic to the basement for all the stuff you'll forget about.

Assuming your basement will be mostly finished, the 1st floor will be the most critical for wiring as many areas will be inaccessible for easy wiring later.

Concentrate on the wiring/infrastructure first and worry about gear selection later.

Now, your specific question about sources and whole-house audio: No reason they can't be connected. It's simple to take the analog audio output of your basement system (or the set-top box, etc.) and get it to the whole-house system using a single cat5 wire and a balun (MuxLab 500039 for example). I use one of their quad-audio baluns to do the same thing, and in reverse - sending audio from the whole-house system to the 'main' system... IR remote control can also be handled in a similar fashion.

The important thing is to have the wires. Lots of them. They are so cheap now as compared to later, go crazy.

Jeff

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I'm educating myself or attempting to so that things are done right when there aren't walls to get in the way.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
So, Jeff, the WHA system is just a line level audio input for the Home Theater AVR?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts