AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a separate category for us DLP believers so we don't have to weed through all of the LCD posts? (and vice-versa of course) ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ya, I think that's a better choice than splitting the forum up by price point. Another year or so and no one will be posting in the $5000+ forum. No offence to our host, but I think some videophiles don't realize what a nice picture you can get for way under 5k.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I think that it would be unwise to split out digital projectors on the basis of their technology. Many individuals consider either DLPs or LCDs within a given price point, and therefore, would like opinions from individuals who have experience with both.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
1) I think AVS decided how to split digital projectors, and all other alternative splits have been already mentioned. I don't think there is any reason to repeat these suggestions over and over again.

2) I agree with Scott, not everyone is a technology zealot, and a mod for one technology might work for a different one.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I think the price split makes a lot of sense. It seems to me the basic divide in projector users is by price. At the low end, there are a huge number of users trying to get the best performance from under-$5000 projectors, via HTPC's and lots of Do-It-Yourself items like cables and screens and hush boxes (I'm in that crowd). However, I've gotta admit, there is no A/V dealer gonna make much money from me any time soon - heck, I bought both projector and surround receiver (the two biggest ticket items) on the web. The last time I counted, I had spent between $9000 and $10000 over three years, although that was pretty evenly divided between equipment purchase and the rental of something over 1000 DVDs. Nor does it count some woodworking tools which I bought that were actually budgeted in that other hobby, that I needed for speaker/hushbox/screen construction.

At the upper end of the market, there are those building dedicated theaters, and the budgets are probably well into five figures, or even six figures. Splitting the Forum so that our hosts can concentrate on catering to such customers makes perfect business sense to me. Those of us at the low end tend to be more self-sufficient in any case, and we tend to give a lot of help to those newbies who are now trying to overcome the challenges we have faced ourselves.

I believe the change was a positive one, and has improved the information transfer from those who know to those who need to know - which is the thing that makes AVS Forum the finest in the world.

Gary

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Tim,

I simply can't imagine why anyone would consider themselves a DLP believer, an LCD believer or a D-ILA believer. The advantages and disadvantages of each technology change over time and depending on what price level you are looking at.

Should someone who is now bothered by DLP rainbows not be interested in knowing when the Archemedes color wheel is finally perfected and if it finally does or does not solve that issue ?

Would you not be interested in knowing when Hitachi finally decides to supply an HT optimized 5500 with accurate colors or when JVC finally one ups everyone with the first true 1080P D-ILA ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I, for one, agree with the DLP/LCD split. I feel that each technology has inherent strengths and weaknesses which appeal to some more than others. I, too, struggle to weed through the threads on one to get to the other. If you want to get information on both, just read both threads.

With the purchasing of projectors overseas and rapid pace of technological advancement, any division over price is largely irrelevant. Todays $10,000 projector that can be purchased for $5000 overseas will be $3000 when the next generation of projectors rolls out in 6 months. There are numerous posts in the over $5000 forum that apply to projectors in the under $5000 category, so you wind up reading both threads anyway. However, I believe that most people are biased towards either DLP or LCD and couldn't give a whit about the other. Personally, I would safe a lot of time if half the posts I had to weed through were elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
avdoc,

The problem is that many threads do not deal solely with only one projector technology. Who decides which forum these threads should be placed? I say we leave the digital projector forums as is.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Personally, I feel even the split at $5000 was a change for the worse, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
avdoc,

Your point about continuing price erosion is key. And the integration of Faroudja/Pixelworks etc. into cheaper and cheaper ICs will continue to improve pricing in ALL technologies. And only two projectors are significantly cheaper purchased directly from Japan.

The only advantage to LCD these days is that they are cheap and bright. Wouldn't you care if either LCOS/D-ILA or the new DLP 2 projectors were brought out at LCD pricing next year. Look what HP had done with their new xb31, and that from a company not known for their price leadership. Competition and innovation are doing amazing things these days and most of it will probably happen in LCOS and DLP until we see if OLEDs ever become economical.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I just don't think it matters in the end, which technology is used. What matters to most of us is the best picture at the lowest price.

By the way, Carl, the advantage to LCDs is they are cheap and bright AND don't have the rainbows that 10% or so of the population are painfully sensitive to, and a rather larger percentage can see but don't especially care about.

I must have had about 50 or 60 people see movies at my house by now - and nobody has complained about any aspect of picture quality. Contrast this to the one night I had the DLP projector, and the 10 minutes before my daughter was asking about "annoying color smears" which I eventually realized were her term for rainbows - which I and the wife have never seen.

Gary

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I agree with Gary. I will never buy a single chip DLP as they will always have colour wheel artifacts. I have a PLV-60 which I am very happy with. In a couple of years I hope to be able to replace it with a 1920x1080 LCOS/DILA projector.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Keep them combined.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.